Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet enforcement in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by JRBass
In Missouri we do have helmet law but I have been told by a leo that no lid ticket is 10 bucks and a non dot ticket is 200. With that being said I dont know anyone who has gotten one.
I don't know of anybody personally either.
But we were in Springfield a couple years ago at a car event (Street Machine Nationals).
Anyway, they always end up cruising on North Glenstone.
We were standing along the side watching the action, and watched quite a few bikers get pulled over for non DOT helmets.
Not sure if they actually got a citation though, but I assume they did as I heard the city of Springfield was cracking down on novelty helmets.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM
j09789
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there's no list, how can GA make you wear a helmet at all?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Keith50
Cruiser

I dont think DOT approves helmets

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Jerzmatic
Advanced

I live in North Atlanta and always wear my novelty, primarily because I can't find a DOT German that does not look retarded on my head. With that said, I am all over town and I've never been stopped, approached or questioned about my lid.

It's just a risk factor. I'm shopping for a new lid as we speak.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by j09789
If there's no list, how can GA make you wear a helmet at all?
http://www.robertawhite.com/helmetlaw.htm

Take a look at the above link.

Carl

Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 AM
JS999R
Cruiser

Reading through this thread I'm shaking my head in disbelief. I just bought a Harley, coming from mainly Ducati sport bikes, still have a 999R. In the last ten years since I bought my first Ducati I have never seen one sport bike rider without a full face helmet on. Even though the array of helmets worn by Harley riders would be legal the thought of throwing it down without protecting your melon with a full face helmet is considered (excuse me) stupid and irresponsible. I did my share of track days and rode with many AFM people and the topic when it came to helmets was not how much you can get away with, but what helmet offered the best protection. We were very serious about this subject because the incidents of motorcycle crashes and fatalities are well known. It seems everyone knew somebody who was killed or badly injured in a crash (including myself) and this wasn't just sport bike riders. In terms of motorcycle related accidents I paid more attention to the sport bike riders but also knew of People in the region getting killed or permanently injured riding a Harley as well. Hey, I'm no preacher boy and if you don't care and don't want to wear a helmet, go for it. But its difficult to feel any sympathy as a result of your helmetless head getting split open and could likely result in you drooling and crapping all over yourself for the next upteen years. What tightens my jaw is the apparent selfishness of it, the fact that it puts others in a very negative state, especially family members who are obligated to be care givers while carrot head lays there staring off into space. Chances are that will happen because insurance is too damn expensive to have extended nursing home care and when your insurance runs out in 90 days they will put you in a run down dormitory barrack that is paid for by your savings or your family's savings or if your indigent, maybe the state will kick in by taking your disability check as payment. Even a mediocre nursing home can cost $3K to $5K per month, so there goes everything you own, including the house your family used to live in. If you go broke and you soon will I don't know who will help you in the near future because tea party types will not pay a dime towards your long term care. Long term care to them is an entitlement, no safety nets allowed, especially if the event was preventable. No one gives a crap anymore and again I don't much either for putting so many people in a bad way all because of some belief that you think is more rational than statistics or common sense. Do the math and do a practical like throwing a watermelon against the concrete and see who wins. The only good thing that comes out of brain dead people are the remaining organs for those people who dream of receiving a donor organ like a heart.

I spent five years as a traffic accident investigator/motor officer. We had no helmet laws back then so I saw the result of when the head makes contact with the asphalt involuntarially. It doesn't have to be that hard nor do you have to be going that fast. I'll never forget when this 16 year old kid slid into a car that turned in front of him while riding his RD350. Back then we called those little twosmokers "murdercycles" because they took a fair share of younger riders. Anyway the kid lost his life by about six inches or less. The top of his forehead made contact with the right front corner of the vehicles bumper, otherwise, except for loosing a finger he would have slid clear because his head was the only part of his body that hit the car. I picked up the severed finger and took it quickly to the hospital for a chance at reattaching it, but he died before I got there. No doubt his family thinks of him frequently, even to this day 35 years later. Without question he would have survived if he had a helmet on. This was one of many more during my tenure.

It took me awhile to wake up to this issue because years ago none of us wore helmets and never gave it a second thought. I only wore one in the Winter to keep warm, otherwise not wearing a helmet was like putting on your shoes in the morning.

I suppose at the very least if a state allows helmetless riding the rider must have adequate medical insurance so he/she would not become a life long financial burden on both his family and the tax payer. I'm sure insurance companies would have a field day with their rates to cover these individuals. Once you check the box you will not be wearing a helmet then cha ching with your premiums. If you lie and then crash without a helmet on the jig is up, busted!

All I can say is good luck rolling the dice and really down deep I don't wish bad things to happen to those unlucky ones because again I feel for what the immediate family will endure as a result of a rider's decision not to wear a helmet. I'm new to this forum and theres likely a ton of discussion regarding this subject, I figured since people were talking about it the green light came on to make some comments. I hope all of us can learn at least one thing from it instead of building walls around the issue.

Last edited by JS999R; 03-23-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:00 AM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to wear a helmet liner painted black in NC when I was active duty; only time I was hassled about it was when I was doing something stupid and deserved it.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy7508
Georgia law says you must wear head protection that's on the state's approved "list" of gear.

However, there is no such list.
There has been a lot of discussion about this because since they don't have an actual list, people are interpreting the must wear head protection and trying to ride with bandanas and baseball caps.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i have always heard,if you have a 5 dollar head,wear a 5 dollar helmet.jmho.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently overheard a conversation at Cycle World of Athens (GA) between one of the Athens/Clarke County Motor Cops and some of the customers. They were talking about the "motorcycle only" checkpoints that Georgia has running this year (from money that the feds gave the state in what amounts to arm twisting to make these checkpoints happen). This guy is a stand up guy, and he said that the cops ARE checking for a DOT stamp/sticker on helmets.

So regardless of what the law on the books says, they probably will write a ticket for non-DOT helmets if you are pulled over or get unlucky enough to run into one of those motocycle only checkpoints. You might be able to fight it in court, but I wouldn't want the hassle.

So who knows what the law is for sure? But I figure why take the chance?

Just thought I would pass along what I had overheard.

Quick Reply: Helmet enforcement in Georgia