Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet enforcement in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Never been hassled for my novelties.....

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by artz
it all depends on the person who pulled you over. If they want to they will.
Now that the m/c only inpections are here, its definitely gonna happen.
Hate to say it but in a few years, every state will have a DOT helmet law. Its coming.
It definitely does NOT have to happen. That happened way back in '67. The Federal Highway Safety Act of 1967 required states to have helmet laws or lose federal highway funding. 49 states had helmet laws by 1976. We old timers took it to them, and got the D.OT.'s blackmail tactic removed in the Federal Highway Safety Act of 1976. Then helmet laws dropped like flies. The lobbies of those who profit from selling helmets see a windfall if helmet laws are required and then they lobby for changed standards, again to sell even more helmets. The helmet law years here in Colorado saw increased fatalities and injuries compared to the years previous. A helmet law would be a hard sell here. As for other anti motorcycle laws, they are nothing new. The old guys like me took the time and effort to band together and fight them back in the late '60s and 70's. The younger guys need to pick up the torch and "It won't come." Be careful of the lies they teach in these learn to ride classes. Remember the goal of the class is to get you to buy a bike, that's where the money is at.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's a funny story!!! After spending a few months in Florida last year on my bike, shortly after I got home (a few days) I headed out on my bike, got about a mile from the house and realized I did not have a helmet on. Dolt, U turn and back to the garage for a lid!!! Thanks all for the responses. I have way too many helmets but the most comfortable are the novelty helmets. Especially when I take my windshield off, the bigger DOT helmets catch a lot of air and strain my neck.

Originally Posted by MrHog
I trailered my bike down to GA from Ohio a few years back to my uncle's place on the coast in Southeast GA. I was on my way to Daytona and planned on leaving the truck and trailer and riding to Daytona. I knew there wasn't a helmet law in FL, but I didn't even think about GA. Left the helmet back home in OH.

I only had about 40 miles or so to ride to FL. About 10 miles into my trip, a good ol' boy pulled up beside me at a light and said" I see you are from Ohio by your plates....did you know there is a helmet law here?" I felt stupid and had a look on my face like I just did something really wrong. He continued by saying that "probably doesn't matter since most the law around here ride away, but if you come across one with a hair up his ***, he'll get ya!" He directed me to the nearest flea market that had $15 novelty helmets to get me by the short distance to the FL line.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Medicjaycook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in michigan both my brother in law and I have been stopped my MSP about our helmets, they just hassled us about it n let us go, how ever local leos could care less, its all on who stops ya

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had a novelty helment or even tried one on. Why go that route and not a dot helment. I live in Tennessee where DOT is required, so I've never tried anything else.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all depends, if they want to issue a ticket they will, and don't forget about the sunglasses if they are not safety glasses thats a twofer.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick-e-b
I've never had a novelty helment or even tried one on. Why go that route and not a dot helment. I live in Tennessee where DOT is required, so I've never tried anything else.
In helmet law states riders usually wear novelty half helmets due to the look and fit. All DOT half helmets give a mushroom look, some worse than others. Novelties are quite often the identical counterpart to a particular DOT helmet with about 75% less padding. Same shell.

I live in Colorado, which has no helmet laws, but I still usually wear an Eagle-style novelty half helmet, unless its in the 90's. Depite the 75% less inner padding, you still get some protection. Being a previous California resident, I like having the option, rather than being told what to do by the state. I always felt that helmet laws should not apply to those over 21-years-old.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Missouri we do have helmet law but I have been told by a leo that no lid ticket is 10 bucks and a non dot ticket is 200. With that being said I dont know anyone who has gotten one.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Helmet law in my state. I carry a novelty in case I cross into a helmet state.
I have never had a LEO ask to see my helmet. It seems as long as you have something on your head they leave you alone.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never been hassled in AL Ga or TN or any state for my novelty. Just got back from Chattanooga this weekend and went through GA passed LEO in all states never a word.
Sitting at red lights with leos several times this weekend and none of them gave me a second look.
Not saying it couldn’t happen, but none of the people I ride with wear DOT and no one has ever been hassled

Quick Reply: Helmet enforcement in Georgia