Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE!! EZ-UP FAILS and no warranty offered...(REPOSTED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by vrodb
This is one of the reasons I don’t spend much time on forums anymore. The customer who did nothing wrong with the way he was using my product actually bent a 5/8ths inch steel bar before breaking the weld half way through. The point I tried to make with him is that I don’t consider this a design failure but abuse as I can’t generate enough leverage with my puny butt (285Lbs) to bend one of these things. I offered to replace the whole lower end and re-powder coat the stand for $50 and this is unfair and prompted him to slam me on this and other forums. I do offer a good warranty against issues arising from normal use but when a customer tells me he did nothing out of the ordinary and I have a 5/8” BENT STEEL BAR in my hand I have to wonder. I have had the same center stand on my 07 Street Glide for 4 years and show it at Daytona to Sturgis every year and it is the same exact one I started with. It has had thousands of people set on it and use it without anything getting bent. I have had a few welds fail but when it is associated with the bent lever it is caused from unnecessary force. When used properly it takes less than 50lbs of force to put the bike up on my stand.

Rod B.
President Wheeldock Co.
Having worked in Navy shipyards as an inspector for more than 15 years and being around all types of metal both welded and brazed I can say that metal fatigue and fracture happens all the time and it is not because of "abuse". Unless you scope your metal you cannot be certain there was not an internal fracture when you sold him the part (with lifetime warranty). Explain exactly how the customer (a customer) can abuse your product. It seems to me that you cannot prove that your customer abused anything other than the fact your product is broke and you state that because of the size of the metal used.. it MUST be abused. What good is a lifetime warranty if you are just going to state “abuse” when you cannot determine the cause of failure?

Seriously… are you really, really going to dispute this guy’s claim. How many potential customers are you willing to lose before you simply take the part back, replace it with a new one, and put the guy on your watch list for possible future abuse? Which is a pretty common thing to do and low risk. Point is, you already lost me as a customer. Looks like there are a few more considering a non-purchase.
Might want to replace the part before it gets worse for you [here].

lp

Old 03-21-2011, 02:48 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Point is, you already lost me as a customer. Looks like there are a few more considering a non-purchase.
Might want to replace the part before it gets worse for you [here].
lp
I take it back. Guys that should know better are piling on too.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Glofish88
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Interesting that most with under 200 posts are the quickest to pile on. Personally, I think the guy is a douche for coming on the forum and blasting EZ up because he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar."

Nice. Since when does the number of post counts relate to riding experience? Sericously. Who is the douche here? Funny how you have a double standard about members blasting this or that. You have no reasonable information to claim I was caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

Simply, one more time for the hard headed individual, the weld failed, it broke, just like others have. There is no way this was ever abused or handled improperly by me or anyone else. The only conclusion here is the item failed. It happens. And Rod decided to handle it in the manner he choose. I got screwed for using his product as intended, as any one of you do and mine happend to break at the weld. Nothing about the bar bending has anything to do with this what so ever and Rod know that.

Say what you will and be childish and call names all you like, the fact remains the weld failed and he didn't honor the warranty. PERIOD.

Cheers ( :

Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH
I take it back. Guys that should know better are piling on too.
I know what a lifetime warranty is supposed to mean.
I know what it feels like to have people on the internet poke fun at your folly when it's not them who has lost anything.
I know that the FIRST people to jump all over an OP and call them an asshat usually own the Vendors products....

And finally, since you felt the need to quote me...
I KNOW that I will not buy anything from a vendor that will not stand by their product. Especially one that denies a warranty claim without proof. Specifically their only proof being, "Man that shouldn't have broken, guess he abused it."

Now what perfectly satisfied EZ-up owner?

lp

Old 03-21-2011, 03:05 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Glofish88
"Interesting that most with under 200 posts are the quickest to pile on. Personally, I think the guy is a douche for coming on the forum and blasting EZ up because he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar."

Nice. Since when does the number of post counts relate to riding experience? Sericously. Who is the douche here? Funny how you have a double standard about members blasting this or that. You have no reasonable information to claim I was caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

Simply, one more time for the hard headed individual, the weld failed, it broke, just like others have. There is no way this was ever abused or handled improperly by me or anyone else. The only conclusion here is the item failed. It happens. And Rod decided to handle it in the manner he choose. I got screwed for using his product as intended, as any one of you do and mine happend to break at the weld. Nothing about the bar bending has anything to do with this what so ever and Rod know that.

Say what you will and be childish and call names all you like, the fact remains the weld failed and he didn't honor the warranty. PERIOD.

Cheers ( :
I think I ended with JMHO. At any rate, I still think if there were mass problems with EZups, we would have heard them by now. You would have to really be trying to bend a 5/8 inch steel bar, but, hey, who am I to dispute it. As for the low post count, they're called "Hangaround" and "Prospect" for a reason. Oh, and I can be quite the douche sometimes. Just ask some of the old timers here. Have a nice life.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I know what a lifetime warranty is supposed to mean.
I know what it feels like to have people on the internet poke fun at your folly when it's not them who has lost anything.
I know that the FIRST people to jump all over an OP and call them an asshat usually own the Vendors products....

And finally, since you felt the need to quote me...
I KNOW that I will not buy anything from a vendor that will not stand by their product. Especially one that denies a warranty claim without proof. Specifically their only proof being, "Man that shouldn't have broken, guess he abused it."

lp

+1 Nicely put.........

Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Failure 101 - Today's lesson : How to lose customers, both existing and potential.

Kudo's to you, Mister Wheeldock-is-the-ultimate-product-that-can-only-fail-if-abused-and-we-won't-honor-the-warranty guy! It's men like you who make it easy to NOT do business with companies like yours, and we clearly owe you a debt of gratitude for making it so easy to choose a different product.

Originally Posted by vrodb
This is one of the reasons I don’t spend much time on forums anymore. The customer who did nothing wrong with the way he was using my product actually bent a 5/8ths inch steel bar before breaking the weld half way through. The point I tried to make with him is that I don’t consider this a design failure but abuse as I can’t generate enough leverage with my puny butt (285Lbs) to bend one of these things. I offered to replace the whole lower end and re-powder coat the stand for $50 and this is unfair and prompted him to slam me on this and other forums. I do offer a good warranty against issues arising from normal use but when a customer tells me he did nothing out of the ordinary and I have a 5/8” BENT STEEL BAR in my hand I have to wonder. I have had the same center stand on my 07 Street Glide for 4 years and show it at Daytona to Sturgis every year and it is the same exact one I started with. It has had thousands of people set on it and use it without anything getting bent. I have had a few welds fail but when it is associated with the bent lever it is caused from unnecessary force. When used properly it takes less than 50lbs of force to put the bike up on my stand.

Rod B.
President Wheeldock Co.

Last edited by Phurion; 03-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp

lp
I'm going riding. You?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
awmllc2000
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I for one commend the op for coming on here and letting us guys know about the customer service he recieved. For you guys flaming him, Im glad you are happy with your particular product....Lets just see what happens when it fails though.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:23 PM
vrodb
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like everyone knows what the part looks like and what the issue is already. The part in question is on my desk in front of me and the lever is BENT. The force it takes to bend this thing is way more than what it takes to raise the bike up on the stand. In my opinion this force is what caused the weld to partially fail.
This is the basis for my not offering the free replacement. I think the offer I made was a fair offer but maybe not. I have tried all afternoon to contact my customer but he is not picking up. Since this has gone all public I will apologize publicly and return the stand for no charge in new condition.

Here is the warranty which I have published on my site and in the box I ship my stand in:

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Providing the Wheeldock product was purchased from Wheeldock LLC or an authorized Wheeldock dealer the following warranty is offered.
WHEELDOCK, LLC (WHEELDOCK) provides a lifetime warranty on all WHEELDOCK products against defective material or workmanship. The purchaser must provide WHEELDOCK notice of the defect and establish that the equipment, parts, etc., have been properly set up, maintained, and operated within the limits of rated and normal usage. The original purchaser must also return the defective part or parts to WHEELDOCK for inspection.
This Warranty shall not cover any cost of labor, transportation, freight, installation, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, rust, or failure of the air cylinder, but shall be limited to repair or replacement of those parts, which upon inspection by WHEELDOCK appear to have been defective in material or workmanship.

Quick Reply: BEWARE!! EZ-UP FAILS and no warranty offered...(REPOSTED)