Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE!! EZ-UP FAILS and no warranty offered...(REPOSTED)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011 | 10:09 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Need to share that I had a problem with my EZ Up and emailed Rod; he responded by telling me that it is warranted and to ship it to him and he would repair the problem. Today the repaired (or replaced) EZ Up stand was delivered and now it is back on my '09 Ultra. Rod never gave me any indication that he might not stand behind his product; to the contrary, he told me to ship the product back to him and he would repair it, which he did. Also, I was not charged for the shipment back to me. I use my stand every day and would both buy another from Rod as well as recommend the EZ Up to others.

Old 03-22-2011 | 10:37 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Hmmm bummer that I was considering buying one of these things. I'm assuming that these things aren't made by automatic machines on an assembly line. People make mistakes. Maybe you need to change your warranty name from "lifetime" to "limited" cuz that's what it sounds like to me.

I would rather buy a more expensive product from a company that is gonna stand by it. Customer service is everything.

I do have a question though. Which was it? A bend or a break??? Seller is saying bend and customer saying break. There is a difference.

Old 03-23-2011 | 06:20 AM
vrodb
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
Hmmm bummer that I was considering buying one of these things. I'm assuming that these things aren't made by automatic machines on an assembly line. People make mistakes. Maybe you need to change your warranty name from "lifetime" to "limited" cuz that's what it sounds like to me.

I would rather buy a more expensive product from a company that is gonna stand by it. Customer service is everything.

I do have a question though. Which was it? A bend or a break??? Seller is saying bend and customer saying break. There is a difference.
Good question. It has ALWAYS been a LIMITED LIFTIME warranty. I have this on my web site and ship it in every box that goes out. Also since you ask the question, the Lever was BENT and the weld holding it was partially broke. As you say "there is a difference" the bend happened before the weld broke. Had the weld broke first the lever would not have been able to bend. BTW HD and RIVCO offers a more expensive stand but it is made offshore and last I checked neither company offers a lifetime, or even a limited lifetime warranty, in fact I did not see one at all on Rivco’s site, or on Harleys either, only mine.
At any rate the stand was repaired and shipped back at no charge.
My warranty below as taken directly from my site:
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
WHEELDOCK, LLC (WHEELDOCK) warrants all WHEELDOCK products against defective material or workmanship for the life of the original owner. However, the purchaser must promptly send to WHEELDOCK notice of the defect and establish that the equipment, parts, etc., have been properly set up, maintained, and operated within the limits of rated and normal usage. The purchaser must return the defective part or parts to WHEELDOCK for inspection.
This Warranty shall not cover any cost of labor, transportation, freight, installation, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, or rust, but shall be limited to repair or replacement, f.o.b. WHEELDOCK, of those parts, which upon inspection by WHEELDOCK appear to have been defective in material or workmanship.

Old 03-23-2011 | 06:54 AM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser

I was put off by the price of the Wheel Dock, didn't think it had to cost that much, ...So, I looked around on e-bay and found this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CENTE...Q5fAccessories
It has been on my bike for about a 8 months now. No problems, I have scraped it a couple of times, but no big deal. Also have found that the return spring needs to be a little beefier as I have to make sure it is returned to the stored position prior to taking off or it will scrape in a turn. I have placed a 1/4 inch sheet of ply wood under the feet and raised the rear wheel off the ground for cleaning. The lift bar doesn't hit anything or rub on anything when its up.
As you can see from the signature pic, the bike is sitting upright on the center stand, I would not be without it. BTW, this is the second bike this stand has been on, I had it on my 96 electra glide and now its on the Ultra 2004, takes all of 20 minutes to put it on or take it off. Two bolts through the bow tie brace and it is installed. My old 96 had some abuse to the bow tie brace by a previous owner, rolled over the edges on the front of the bow tie.
Used my vice grips and straightned it up prior to bolting the center stand in place, piece of cake to install. The price is right to, 129.95 and FREE Shipping.
That's all the pro's and cons I know about it, but I know I wouldn't be without it.
It is very solid on the center stand, just be aware of the surface that you are standing the bike on. On hot asphalt it will probably sink in, just like your jiffy stand.
Yeah, and one other thing, the wife and I are 67 years old, she is not near as nimble as she used to be, (married going on 47 years now, no I won't trade her in), has diabetes and arthritis and it would be hard for her to get on the bike with out this stand. with it she puts a foot on the passenger pad and I help her get the other foot over the tank without leaving a boot mark Has happened a couple of times, but they come off easily. The bike is perfectly steady as she is performing this task and I don't have to worry about trying to balance it.
It has stood on the jiffy stand with a cover on it in my carport during thunderstorms and will NOT blow over, 788Lbs my carport would leave first
Anyhoo, hope this helps someone.
Ride Safe, watch for those road hazards

Last edited by Chaffeekid; 03-23-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-23-2011 | 07:33 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

rod, I feel this has been beat to death and everyone needs to let it go,it's sad you have to continue to answer questions that you have already answered, in the end things worked out and I feel you have been sincere in your remarks, that is why I decided not to go with another brand and placed my order with you , can't wait for it to get here and put it on the bike THANKS
Originally Posted by vrodb
Good question. It has ALWAYS been a LIMITED LIFTIME warranty. I have this on my web site and ship it in every box that goes out. Also since you ask the question, the Lever was BENT and the weld holding it was partially broke. As you say "there is a difference" the bend happened before the weld broke. Had the weld broke first the lever would not have been able to bend. BTW HD and RIVCO offers a more expensive stand but it is made offshore and last I checked neither company offers a lifetime, or even a limited lifetime warranty, in fact I did not see one at all on Rivco’s site, or on Harleys either, only mine.
At any rate the stand was repaired and shipped back at no charge.
My warranty below as taken directly from my site:
LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
WHEELDOCK, LLC (WHEELDOCK) warrants all WHEELDOCK products against defective material or workmanship for the life of the original owner. However, the purchaser must promptly send to WHEELDOCK notice of the defect and establish that the equipment, parts, etc., have been properly set up, maintained, and operated within the limits of rated and normal usage. The purchaser must return the defective part or parts to WHEELDOCK for inspection.
This Warranty shall not cover any cost of labor, transportation, freight, installation, misuse, abuse, negligence, accident, or rust, but shall be limited to repair or replacement, f.o.b. WHEELDOCK, of those parts, which upon inspection by WHEELDOCK appear to have been defective in material or workmanship.

Last edited by tj316; 03-23-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2011 | 08:27 AM
jeff137
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tj316
rod, I fill this has been beat to death and everyone needs to let it go,it's sad you have to continue to answer questions that you have already answered,
I agree. The issue is resolved for the buyer with the problem. There are tons of us that have Rod's EZ-up and love it. Let's just move on...

Old 03-23-2011 | 08:31 AM
kpb46
Road Master

First off I'd like to commend Ron for the about face. It's nice to know your dealing with someone who is interested in his customers. I do have a question tho. How would a 5/8th inch bar get bent. Unless you hit something while riding and I would think that would take you down. Using the stand as intended could never bend it. Not trying to put blame on anyone. Just curious as to how this might happen so maybe others could avoid it.
I have a Marine buddy how signs all his posts with the phrase "just do the right thing" I am glad Ron feels the same way

Old 03-23-2011 | 10:02 AM
Fuji
Cruiser

To the company owner: Your response is educational. I retract my earlier statements - with apologies.

Old 03-23-2011 | 10:10 AM
jackloganbill
Cruiser

I am glad the EZ-UP company came through the for the OP. I have been comparing the EZ-UP to the moco version and had decided on the EZ-UP. Then, at the beginning of the thread I decided the moco version might be a better choice (plus my dealer adds it to my extended warranty). But now that the dust has settled I am back in the EZ-UP camp.

Would love to know why the 5/8" bar bent. Could the unit have been installed incorrectly (no fault intended towards the OP), that would have reduced the leverage, thus requiring more pounds to lift the bike?

Love this site!

Jack

Old 03-23-2011 | 11:21 AM
Nightstalker88
Tourer

I have an unrelated question for Rod. I notice everytime a privateer comes out with something cool or that works...within a year the MOCO co-ops the same items. Are you inventors being compensated or do they tweak the design just enough so as to not infringe on your patent, or just say pound sand sue us?

Curious.

Quick Reply: BEWARE!! EZ-UP FAILS and no warranty offered...(REPOSTED)