Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Lowering kit on my 2010 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:55 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering a Lowering kit on my 2010 Limited

I’m thinking about putting a lowering kit on my 2010 Ultra Limited. Why I’m considering this? It’s not for looks, it’s simply so I can plant my feet better, since I have a 29” inseam. First off, I just took the plunge and ordered my Mustang Lowdown seat today; it’s suppose to give me a 1.5” drop. Just in case the seat drop isn’t enough I may consider a lowering kit, probably only an inch if I go that route.

I’ve seen several different kits out there and they’re relatively inexpensive. Most of the ads say they install within minutes. I did put a lowering kit on a single shock bike in the past and it was somewhat of a pain. However these kits appear to be easier.

1) Are these lowering kits easy to install?
2) By installing the kit will it mess up the ride of a touring bike?
3) Overall what’s your personal experience with lowering your touring bike?
Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by MADHOG; 03-21-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:02 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 665 Likes on 530 Posts

youll get mixed reveiws,a freind of mine put them on (hes about a 29 inseem as well)he didnt like them says the ride suffered and the tire rubbed the wires to the tail light and turn signal till they shorted.im a believer of properly engineered shocks.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:36 PM
swervin irv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a kit on ebay to try.It took about 1 hr. to install.No problems rides good,handles fine, no rubbing and that was 10mo. and 6000 mi. ago...........

Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor and spend the money on the Progressive 940 shocks.
You will get the 1" drop and still have the ride of the 13" shocks only BETTER.
You will have to dial them in and you will have to pay the money for them but at least it will work for you. And you will not be throwing your money away on something that for the most part willm not work.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vivalv1000
I’m thinking about putting a lowering kit on my 2010 Ultra Limited. Why I’m considering this? It’s not for looks, it’s simply so I can plant my feet better, since I have a 29” inseam. First off, I just took the plunge and ordered my Mustang Lowdown seat today; it’s suppose to give me a 1.5” drop. Just in case the seat drop isn’t enough I may consider a lowering kit, probably only an inch if I go that route.
I’ve seen several different kits out there and they’re relatively inexpensive. Most of the ads say they install within minutes. I did put a lowering kit on a single shock bike in the past and it was somewhat of a pain. However these kits appear to be easier.
1) Are these lowering kits easy to install?
2) By installing the kit will it mess up the ride of a touring bike?
3) Overall what’s your personal experience with lowering your touring bike?
Thanks ahead of time.
Let us know if the Mustang Low Down is any lower than the new low stock seat.I think I read where someone said the 1 1/2 inch drop is based on comparing it to the stock seat not the low stock seat.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not big on lowering kits but just put one on my SG last night just to see if I liked the ride height before spending a lot of money on a different option.

Took less than 30 minutes to install and isnt anymore complicated than removing shocks.

I only got to take a 30 mile ride today but really didnt notice much difference in the ride. It was a little stiffer but I added air to the shocks to help from bottoming out so it was proball from that.

I only went down a inch and so far I like it.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Groversue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lower mine front and back and didn't notice much change in ride and i like being sure footed
rear shocks 30 min
forks 150 min

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have the road 6 customs and i lowered an inch and there is no differance in the ride if u lower it 2 or 3 inches then your asking for trouble. thats when u start bottoming out and rubbing the tire and burning your wiring harness on the rear fender. takes about 30 mins to install.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend of mine and his wife bought hiznherz ultras, lowered them both, and they are banging the bottoms constantly and they are NOT big people.

Mark

Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have the Road6customs lowering blocks. I bought them two years ago and have used them on three baggers. They are on the 2010 Road King in my Avatar now. I only use the 1" holes. It only changes the shock angle slightly. I couldn't tell any change in ride comfort. I have used the 2 " lowering holes riding two up with no problems. They don't recommend using the 3" holes from fear of bottoming out and tearing into your wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Considering a Lowering kit on my 2010 Limited