Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start after new plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM
capstone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start after new plug wires

I raised the tank a few inches and put new plugs wires in. Now my 01 road king carb won't start. When I turn on the ignition I don't hear the normal sound. The security light comes on a sec then goes off, oils pump light stays on. Hit the starter I just get a click. No horn, turn signals but bright and passing lamps work. Fuses all look good. What could I have disconnected when I raised the tank or what else did I manage to screw up with what I thought would be a simple project! Thanks.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the tank completely off ( It's no big deal ) and find out what you shorted out under there, fix it, and replace whatever fuse is obviously blown.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master

Take the tank completely off ( It's no big deal ) and find out what you shorted out under there, fix it, and replace whatever fuse is obviously blown.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Make sure your battery cables are tight.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Did you put the wires back on correctly. You might have crossed the plug/coil wires

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM
pinecroft
Cruiser

Check the ignition switch connections --- might have loosened one while lifting the tank --- paul

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
capstone
Advanced

Ok I pulled the tank, no pinched wires. Checked and reseated the plug wires at the ignition, felt like 1 could have possibly not been in all the way. Re-assemble and still no go. Put the old plug wires back in and everything works. Checked the ACCELL 8mm PN 171098-R plug ends to make sure nothing was bent and all looked good. Not sure why they don't work but the stockers are back on and life is good. I have a dynatek tc88 ingintion module that had a note about not using metal core wires so maybe the ones I bought were incompatable. It was the speedo that I was not hearing power up. I put a quick disconnect valve on the gas tank crossover tube since I had the part sitting here so future tank removals will be a breeze.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe a stupid question but did you make sure your kill switch is "on"?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool plug wires

Originally Posted by capstone
Ok I pulled the tank, no pinched wires. Checked and reseated the plug wires at the ignition, felt like 1 could have possibly not been in all the way. Re-assemble and still no go. Put the old plug wires back in and everything works. Checked the ACCELL 8mm PN 171098-R plug ends to make sure nothing was bent and all looked good. Not sure why they don't work but the stockers are back on and life is good. I have a dynatek tc88 ingintion module that had a note about not using metal core wires so maybe the ones I bought were incompatable. It was the speedo that I was not hearing power up. I put a quick disconnect valve on the gas tank crossover tube since I had the part sitting here so future tank removals will be a breeze.
I USED SCREAMIN' EAGLE WIRES, H-D ORANGE IN COLOR, AND WORKED AND LOOKED JUST FINE. 20.$ + TAX. BESIDE NO PROBLEM THEY HAVE THE HARLEY NAME ON THEM.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
Maybe a stupid question but did you make sure your kill switch is "on"?
... and the bike is in neutral?

Quick Reply: Won't start after new plug wires