Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel like getting hammered

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Keefersan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feel like getting hammered

I have had my '03 FLHTCI (6000 miles) for about a month now and because of crappy weather have only got about 100 miles of seat time - 99% back and secondary roads. It is my first HD. Until now I have been riding 4 cylinder metrics (Honda's). I have always wanted a big HD touring bike and jumped at the opportunity and was finally able to get one. When I first heard the bike in the showroom I wasn't quite sure if I was going to keep the existing exhaust setup - a bit too much bark and not enough rumble if that makes sense. I talked to the service manager about possibly putting quite baffles in but it seems the ones I have are welded in - not sure what they are. Bike has had Stage 1 done - intakes, pipes, exhaust and download. Not sure if any other work was done.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong or if it's just that I don't like the slip-ons. Anyway here's my issue. I seem to get what I describe as hammering at speed and I can't tell if it's caused by the exhaust or something else. As an example, yesterday I took the bike to the dealer and had the speed sensor replaced (speedo quite working) and decided to take a ride. As I'm cruising along about 60 or so I get this hammering. I really can't tell if this is engine/wind/sound related. It's real hard to explain, but there is simply no way this is normal. I cannot image a 500 mile day of riding like that. If it is normal, the HD is not the bike for me as there is no way I'd be able to handle a cross-country trip... This is not the first time I've had this "feeling". Engine seems fine at idle and pulls great.

I realize that this is not the greatest description but I'm kind of lost here. I ordered a chrome front end and detachable tour-pak kit that I plan on getting installed this week, but really don't want to spend the money until I have an idea of what's going on here. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be some kind of exhaust related thing and I'm fixated on the exhaust sound or could I really have a bigger problem?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "hammering"?
A vibration or sound?

What slipons are on?

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 03-20-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is why I could never be an HD mechanic. HDs make a lot of clatter that other bikes, don't so you never know if what the owner hears is normal or if its something you just can't recreate.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Keefersan
Advanced

Not sure what the slip-on are. Sales Manager said they were Pythons, but I think that was a guess. I don't see any markings on them. Like I said it's hard to describe the "hammering". It almost feels like there is banging in the engine and that it could be running on one cylinder although I don't see a reduction in power- can still accelerate. I know I'm not helping myself here... I'll get out today and try to get a better handle on what I'm feeling.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Keefersan
Advanced

Originally Posted by garand
This is why I could never be an HD mechanic. HDs make a lot of clatter that other bikes, don't so you never know if what the owner hears is normal or if its something you just can't recreate.
Same here. And now I'm one of those people that come into the shop and says "There's this "hammering" thing going on - ya gotta fix it."

Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 AM
vwmark
Advanced

Is the hammering something you are hearing or something you are feeling?
Helmet or no helmet? Could it be wind buffeting?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

Sounds like something is loose. Could be a loose baffle inside one of the pipes, loose luggage, or a loose header pipe flange or heat shield. Take some time, give the bike a good inspection and check nuts and bolts for tightness. Check the motor mounts, too.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:49 AM
KenpoCowboy
Intermediate

Pythons are a Drag Specialty item (V&H, iirc). If that is what they are, there should be the word 'Python' stamped on the top rear of the pipe - readable below the bag.

These pipes, in combination with a fuelpack and A/C do have a fairly low rumble, especially when accelerating - but become a nice regular sound in 6th gear - which you don't have... as soon as the rain clears I'll see what happens at higher speeds in 5th (hopefully it quiets down).

These are low enough, that even when loud, the radio can be heard - but almost too loud for me.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could very well be picking up the exhaust note.
If you know someone that has experience riding harleys have them check it out otherwise tell the dealer where you bought it about your concern.
Be sure to tell the shop Mgr. the mechanic needs to get it out on the freeway or open highwy and run it up to 70 or so for a while.
If the shop thinks it is alright, they should be able to recommend a quieter exhaust.
But when comparing big V-twin harleys to 4 cylinder Japaneese bikes they are NOT quiet or smooth, even in completely stock configuration.

That sound and vibration is a big part of the appeal to many harley owners.
It is not for everyone, just check out a goldwing forum, there will be some old time harley riders that made the switch.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If it is a "hammering" that you feel I would check primary chain tension. When I got my 02 it felt (at steady speed) like it was pounding. Adjusted tension and smoothed it out.

Quick Reply: Feel like getting hammered