Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel like getting hammered

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Keefersan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I went out for about an hour yesterday. I'm thinking I have a combination of things going on here. Learning curve and getting used to my new bike, not being thrilled with the slip-ons and possibly a tuning "opportunity". I had been warned that there are certain RPM/Speed combinations that may cause a vibration of some kind. I think what I have here is that I found that combination.

While out yesterday I had the same "hammering" and noticed it was occurring while slightly accelerating in 5th around 2800 RPM - going up a long incline! The exhaust note at this point is pretty harsh/loud/whatever your offensive term of choice may be. If I back off the throttle a little, down shift or just power through it I can eliminate or reduce my problem. Need the right gear! I also spent some time on a freeway at 70 or so with and without the cruise control and was happy.

What RPM do most folks typically cruise at? Where are the v-twins happiest?

At this point I really don't think I have a mechanical problem with the bike. However, I do think I would benefit by having a decent tune done as I am getting considerable popping on deceleration. If I decide to swap out the slip-ons should I wait to have a tune done?

I know I shouldn't compare the HD with a 4 cylinder metric, but the same road/speed on the 34 year old Goldwing is not an issue, but it may be that the additional torque (and 2 big jugs rather than 4 tiny ones) just enhance a situation that is just not as noticeable on the 4 cylinder.

I'm thinking it's really a matter of me learning the bike. Great excuse for more seat time!

Originally Posted by ZZZCICI
You could very well be picking up the exhaust note.
If you know someone that has experience riding harleys have them check it out otherwise tell the dealer where you bought it about your concern.
Be sure to tell the shop Mgr. the mechanic needs to get it out on the freeway or open highwy and run it up to 70 or so for a while.
If the shop thinks it is alright, they should be able to recommend a quieter exhaust.
But when comparing big V-twin harleys to 4 cylinder Japaneese bikes they are NOT quiet or smooth, even in completely stock configuration.

That sound and vibration is a big part of the appeal to many harley owners.
It is not for everyone, just check out a goldwing forum, there will be some old time harley riders that made the switch.
I do think that the exhaust note is a big part of what I'm experiencing - along with my riding in a less than agreeable gear. I'll ask that the mechanic to take it out on the freeway when they checkout the work they do this week. Will also talk to the Service Mgr about what I'm feeling. May be a good idea to have a tune done while they have the bike.

Originally Posted by asm481
If it is a "hammering" that you feel I would check primary chain tension. When I got my 02 it felt (at steady speed) like it was pounding. Adjusted tension and smoothed it out.
Will check it out. Thanks

Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Lugging the engine is not something these bike like. Though they will take it they will run much better at a certain rpm. I have often heard that these bikes will run all day @3000RPM. I know my riding habits and if I am in a 45 zone and don't want to get over 50 for radar reasons, then bike never sees 5th and often lingers in 3rd. Cruising back roads especially in the spring I hold gears longer and keep the RPM level higher to blip the throttle and shift the bike weight back to help the front wheel clear a pothole and last second maneuver.

I think when you get some pipes you are happy to listen to, then some of the other problems will pass on by.