Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Ultra Classic vs BMW LT

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:27 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned 3 beemers, 2 harleys (but got a new RK every year for work that was mine for the year), more Hondas then I can remember. I average about 20,000 miles a year sometimes around 30,000 including work. I could really give a rats *** about image. I care about quality of the ride. I wear leather and/or textile depending on conditions. I always were a full face helmet yada yada. I like my 2011 RGU every bit as much as any bike I have owned. 100% glad I have it but my gut tells me not to take a test ride on the new beemer 1600 lol. If there were no speed limits and I absolutely had to leave LA and be in NY asap and I had to be on a bike I would have to pick a LT over the RGU just because it handles better at high speeds and gets a lot better mpg. If there was no rush no doubt about it I would take the RGU because it just makes me feel good.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rapz
Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is an old comparison, but I thought it was still applicable since the HD is still about the same and the LT hasn't been modified that much.
Have to disagree with this statement. The HD has changed by leaps and bounds since 2005 (I know, I owned one)

I think its still an apples to oranges comparison, but sometimes people DO want to compare differing bikes. I know in my case, when I bought my first HD, I was trying to decide between a GL1800, and the HD. Two WILDLY different beast to be sure. But I WAS still considering both, and trying to decide between the two.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingace
Have to disagree with this statement. The HD has changed by leaps and bounds since 2005 (I know, I owned one)

I think its still an apples to oranges comparison, but sometimes people DO want to compare differing bikes. I know in my case, when I bought my first HD, I was trying to decide between a GL1800, and the HD. Two WILDLY different beast to be sure. But I WAS still considering both, and trying to decide between the two.
I agree there is a huge difference between pre 09 baggers and post 09 baggers. My 2011 is light years ahead of my 04 in the handling department.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
sc00ter50
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at, rode and considered all 3 of the big rig touring bikes (GL1800, BMW and Ultra) before I pulled the trigger on my Ultra. It just fit me best. And I ride in full gear so I do look like a BMW rider. There was no way I was laying out $25K plus on a bike without seeing what was out there. Maybe I just have not drank enough of the HD Koolaid?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to convince me or almost everyone else on here.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
LaneG
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Before I bought my Ultra (my first Harley) I test drove a Gold Wing and a Victory. Thought I'd better be sure about my wanting a Harley all these years. They are nice bikes, but not my kind of bike. But I've never even considered a BMW, I'm just not a BMW kind of guy.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

through the years i've owned three beemers, two guzzis, a few hondas, and still own a kawasaki zrx1200-R, in case i want to scare the hell out of myself. i enjoy riding and owning my harleys far more than any of the above. when i go to a coffee shop or to get fuel, i get positive comments almost everytime i am on my harley streetglide. that wasn't the case with the other brands. i went to what i thought was a swap meet only to find out that it was a goldwing rally. that reminded me exactly why i ride a harley. i don't have to bungee a garfield stuffed animal on the back seat to look cool on my harley. harleys come from the factory with tons of "cool factor" that the other companies have tried to copy.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first bike was a Harley. That was over 40 years ago.
I tried a few other brands over the years but have always come back to HD.
I like reading about and looking at other brands but I don't want one.
I love my 2011 EGC and have no desire to own any other brand.
Owning and riding a Harley just makes you feel good. Like they say if I have to explain it to you ...........