Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow ultra needs to run like a cbr

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

If you think a CBR 600 is fast, climb on a Hayabusa and play "twist the wrist". Back in my younger days, I raced just about anything that had wheels and a motor. Spent a lot of road course time on highly modified 750 Hondas, Suzuki "Water Buffalo's" and KZ1000's. I got very familiar with the speedometer area between 100 and 150.

However, the first time I climbed on a 'Busa, it scared the **** outa me! A throttle roll-on at 90 in 3rd gear with a 200 lb. man in the seat and it pulls the front tire, damn! Run up through the gears, not hard but solid and a glance at the speedo shows 170+, too damn fast for me!

If I had one, one of two things would happen within a year; 1. I would be dead, or 2. I would be locked up! Yes, I am a speed freak!

I'll just keep my Ultra and cruise around....... a man has to know his limits!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

While I continue to work on mild engine and handling mods to the RKC's I have no desire to make them like the bikes of my younger years. I enjoy what they are.......just a little better when tweaked. But to each their own, that's what makes life interesting.

I don't begrudge anyone trying to get more out of their bagger but it seems at some point a line is crossed and $$ is better spent getting or adding to the stable a different type of bike.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Everybody needs a ride on something like a Hayabusa at least once. It's hard to describe, but for the first couple times you ride it you'll get tunnel vision in 2nd and 3rd gear. I had an '02 Hayabusa for almost a year, I loved the power but it wasn't comfortable at all on longer trips. I wouldn't mind the one year only B-King (naked Hayabusa, looks like a transformer), or maybe the Concours 14, they would be a bit better than my Hayabusa for longer rides, and still have stupid power.

But, I know the stupid power is only going to get you in trouble, so I figured I'd buy what I always wanted anyway, and got my first Harley. Because of the gearing it's quick enough to be fun around town, but you're not going to get arrested on it either. I enjoy the cruiser aspect much more anyway.

To get even a softail or sportster to run with a stock 600 is going to cost more money than you'd spend on just buying a nice used second bike, and it still isn't going to perform as well as one. Sometimes 2 bikes make sense. I have too many other hobbies to drop another $10k on my RKC just to get it to beat a gixxer 750 in a stoplight **** size comparison contest. Instead I'll keep it mostly stock, and let it do what it does well- cruise with character and style.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:59 PM
markaria
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
i love my 08 streetglide, 103 hot rod. i also really like hopping onto my zrx1200-R eddie lawson replica kawasaki. it's thrilling where as my harley is a tractor in comparison. a very comfortable tractor at that. did you ever notice that when you go to the local coffee shop on a harley you'll usually have someone ask you about your bike. that doesn't happen if you're riding a jap sportbike, unless it's a 19 year old kid. also at tattoo shops i doubt they get many people asking for a suzuki tattoo. then there's the tee shirts ball caps, back window stickers etc. if it's bike related you can almost be assured it's a harley davidson sticker. the tee shirts and caps, not kawasaki cause they ain't cool like a harley. metrics are great bikes for those who just don't get it yet. i only keep the zrx1200-R because it scares the hell out of me.
uh oh another zrx owner!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You think thats fast.. Try the 'Busa I still miss mine but it was give up the Busa or the wife. ( I tend to umm go fast, she was worried of my life ) There just isnt a way to get a HD to that kinda work or level of even a CBR 600. Its one thing to go fast its another to turn a HD into a superbike.