Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow ultra needs to run like a cbr

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in 1999 when I was finding myself doing unintentional wheelies I decided that it was time to switch gears over to a cruiser, and that's exactly what I did.

Although I would like to have a V-Rod.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

No thanks.

Cruisers rule.

~Joe

Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 AM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Check out the Kawi Concours 14 ABS. Sportbike handling with comfortable touring capability.

Probably going to add one to my stable when I start some serious touring.

lp
+1, I'm also looking at a BMW K 1600 GTL. This 2011 is my last Harley and I'm already thinking about dumping it. For the money, it's lacking refinement compared to other tourers.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In all seriousness there's a new member named RustyBags on another thread who plans to make his disappointing 1999 Ultra as close to a sport bike as possible. He's got plans for all kinds of engine builds and mods. He wants to change it from a low reving low torque engine into a high reving high torque band one. It might be worth checking him out and following his build.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i love(ed) My 2001 Ninja ZX-9r...
an amazing bike....
Was aewsome to have that big sport bike and my ultra.....
out one night riding with my nephew and his friends on 600's... on a back dark road.....
i let them go then would play catch up, cause those superfast 600's could not hold back the 9r.....
i backed out of the throttle whn i seen the 3 of them do a lil swerving....
im sure the armadillo did not like being hit by me at 150!!!!
im going to say... freaked me out a whole lot too....
after that night, i never really rode her like that, sold her to my cousin....

Love those bikes though..
Ill get another one eventually!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Riding one of those bikes doesn't even compare to a nice cruise on my 'Glide with some good tunes on, listening to my pipes.

~Joe

Old 03-19-2011, 12:36 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rlowride
i love(ed) My 2001 Ninja ZX-9r...
an amazing bike....
Was aewsome to have that big sport bike and my ultra.....
out one night riding with my nephew and his friends on 600's... on a back dark road.....
i let them go then would play catch up, cause those superfast 600's could not hold back the 9r.....
i backed out of the throttle whn i seen the 3 of them do a lil swerving....
im sure the armadillo did not like being hit by me at 150!!!!
im going to say... freaked me out a whole lot too....
after that night, i never really rode her like that, sold her to my cousin....

Love those bikes though..
Ill get another one eventually!
Just stay with your 'Glide bro.....if that ain't good enough, then maybe ridin' isn't for you.

NOTHING compares to a nice cruise with the tunes on.

~Joe

Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 AM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clayslayer
I have a 2010 Ultra Limited with a 103, FM 2-1-2 pipe, SE mufflers, K&N filter in a Ventilator housing, PCV, yada yada yada......

I also have a 2007 CBR 600 that has a bone stock engine with the only go-fast mod being a Two Brothers slip on.

Two different bikes for two different purposes:

The Hardly Ableson feels like an electric wheelchair runnin' out of battery going up a steep hill compared to the Honda. After owning it for 4 years it'll still put a grin on my face that cannot be jackhammered off. However.....(this is the part the metric haters like) the Honda feels like having my limbs pulled out of joint on a rack compared to the Harley.

If I'm going to be gone for LESS than an hour I take the Honda. If there are twisty roads involved. I take the Honda. I always seem to find canyon roads on it. The CBR is MUCH easier to ride around in town and is infinitely more maneuverable. Acceleration is better, brakes are better, nearly unlimited cornering clearance etc.

If I'm taking the wife, going to work, traveling, have anything to carry, or want to walk the next day I take the Harley. They've both got about the same amount of miles on them at the moment and I love them both.

To get your ultra to even hold a candle to a CBR you'd be looking at a LOT of money. Remember the CBR puts down about 105 - 110 horsepower AT THE REAR WHEEL in bone stock form and only weighs about 400 pounds with a full tank of gas ready to ride. To get the same p/w ratio in your 800 pound Harley you'd need to stonk down about 200 ish horsepower at the rear wheel. Don't even get started when it comes to actually getting 1/2 of that 200 horsepower to even GET to the ground without roasting the crappy bias ply tires that MOCO seems destined to put on their bikes. To make a long story short: You'll never be able to hold a candle to a supersport repli-racer bike with a Harley. It just won't happen. You can make a Harley quick but not that quick.

For all you "Torque is where it's at" people that think that a Harley's massively impressive low end torque will equalize the equation you're fooling yourselves.

Harley's are comfortable, sound great, and look cool.

Crotch rockets are purpose built racing machines.

Different bikes for different purposes.
Can't agree more.... had a 06 CBR600 and an 05
CBR1000RR. Crazy bikes. I finally sold the 1000 to keep my licence.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:11 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i love my 08 streetglide, 103 hot rod. i also really like hopping onto my zrx1200-R eddie lawson replica kawasaki. it's thrilling where as my harley is a tractor in comparison. a very comfortable tractor at that. did you ever notice that when you go to the local coffee shop on a harley you'll usually have someone ask you about your bike. that doesn't happen if you're riding a jap sportbike, unless it's a 19 year old kid. also at tattoo shops i doubt they get many people asking for a suzuki tattoo. then there's the tee shirts ball caps, back window stickers etc. if it's bike related you can almost be assured it's a harley davidson sticker. the tee shirts and caps, not kawasaki cause they ain't cool like a harley. metrics are great bikes for those who just don't get it yet. i only keep the zrx1200-R because it scares the hell out of me.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is no secret that the HD are a bit underpowered, thats why more than half of us on here are adding stage 1 kits and cams. If HD gave you 100hp/110tq stock, that would be plenty for us to work with. I have never ridden a sport bike, and kind of afraid to due to that reason, Harley's are all I know. I did however have a nightrain that was modded and I was impressed at how the bike performed it handled terrible and the brakes sucked but it was pretty quick, made my RK feel like I was running in a bad dream.

Quick Reply: Wow ultra needs to run like a cbr