Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Drag Bars... installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 PM
davesgarage
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Drag Bars... installation

I recently purchased an 07 Road King Classic.. I currently also have a Nightrain which I have been wrenching on and making my own for a few years.. I have always admired Baggers of all types and finaly decided to get one for my self. I bought my Road King in the early winter, which means it has been sitting in my garage ALL winter, I have been making regular stops at my local HD shop and dressing her up appropriatly.. finally the day came this week where it was warm enough to get out for my first ride. This was my first experence on a BIG BAGGER.. I have only ridden softails. I had a BALL... man I was grinning ear to ear.. but one thing that I can't deal with is the handle bars, I am used to riding with drag bars, you know knuckles in the wind.. the bars on my bike actualy make your wrists twist outward.. although the bars look good when the bike is sitting still they are NOT comfortable for me, I have noticed a lot of people use them and are happy with them but I just am not comfortable. I have decided to put on slammer drag bars.. This is where things are getting a bit dodgey for me.. I looked them up on line and found that the list price is 259.00 not too bad. I called my local HD parts desk and they quoted me 980.00.. WHOLLY COW!!! when I asked why so much I was told I have to replace all my cables to fit and with 5 hours labor etc... I pulled up the measurements and the drag bars are not as wide and do not have as much rise so... in theory the cables I have now should work.. I think..?? Has any one run into this when replacing stock cruizing bars with drag bars? I think my parts guy may be trying to make his quota..

Last edited by davesgarage; 03-18-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as the rise isn't to much you should be able to do just a bar swap. Gotta remember that the stock bars have rise AND pull back.... you'll have more cable than you think.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by davesgarage
I recently purchased an 07 Road King Classic.. I currently also have a Nightrain which I have been wrenching on and making my own for a few years.. I have always admired Baggers of all types and finaly decided to get one for my self. I bought my Road King in the early winter, which means it has been sitting in my garage ALL winter, I have been making regular stops at my local HD shop and dressing her up appropriatly.. finally the day came this week where it was warm enough to get out for my first ride. This was my first experence on a BIG BAGGER.. I have only ridden softails. I had a BALL... man I was grinning ear to ear.. but one thing that I can't deal with is the handle bars, I am used to riding with drag bars, you know knuckles in the wind.. the bars on my bike actualy make your wrists twist outward.. although the bars look good when the bike is sitting still they are NOT comfortable for me, I have noticed a lot of people use them and are happy with them but I just am not comfortable. I have decided to put on slammer drag bars.. This is where things are getting a bit dodgey for me.. I looked them up on line and found that the list price is 259.00 not too bad. I called my local HD parts desk and they quoted me 980.00.. WHOLLY COW!!! when I asked why so much I was told I have to replace all my cables to fit and with 5 hours labor etc... I pulled up the measurements and the drag bars are not as wide and do not have as much rise so... in theory the cables I have now should work.. I think..?? Has any one run into this when replacing stock cruizing bars with drag bars? I think my parts guy may be trying to make his quota..
RUN, Run, Run, from that dealer ! I Have the same bike 2007 Road King Classic. I changed my bars a few months ago to the Street Slammer Bars for the Road King. All the stock cables will fit, The street slammers are slotted for internal wiring so you can run all your wires internally.

Now after I rode for a while I noticed the Street Slammers had me leaning over a bit more than I preferred so I ordered 3 inch riser spacers from spacerjims, I took everything back apart and put the spacers under the street slammers. Much more comfortable for me and I love the bars and riding position now.

While I had it apart I did change all my cables to the stainless braided but it was a choice, not a requirement. the stainless cables look like they are all the same length as the stock cables..