Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused?! J&M, Hogtunes, or Boom

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:44 PM
gedo76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused?! J&M, Hogtunes, or Boom

I am sure this has been answered before but this is my first time on this forum and my head is spinning after reading some of the post about speakers!

I just bought an 2011 Street Glide and I am of course wanting to upgrade the sound quality as it sucks at highway speeds.

What manufacture is the best in your opinion?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:01 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You need to ask what oil, cams, and tires to use too, while you're stirring up debate.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking Rotflmao

Originally Posted by shooter5074
You need to ask what oil, cams, and tires to use too, while you're stirring up debate.

Ok - the deal is this - you REALLY won't go wrong with ANY of the ones you listed. They are all good.

The truth is - sound is VERY subjective to each person. And every bike has its own characteristics as well - the pipes you are running, the size of your W/S, where you ride (city/country/hwy).

So - the BEST thing for you to do, is go out and hang out at a bike night at a Hooters or whatever watering hole is frequented by HD bikers, and start asking who has what in their fairings - and find out if they have an amp or not too. Then, and only then, can YOU decide which is best. :-)

Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I have heard good things about the Boom speakers and the price is right too.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC
I have heard good things about the Boom speakers and the price is right too.
I have boom and they were a huge improvement over stock. I believe they are the best bang for your buck. My 11 with stock radio and faring mounted booms sound better than my buddies 97 with sony radio with hogtunes and hog pod. He even admitted it. He was so pissed when i told him what i paid and what they were. As far as getting great sounding bass, good luck with that i havent heard a bagger yet with awesome bass.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I will be installing a set of the Rokker J&M speakers on a Harley with the Boom amp next week. i will be posting a video before and after for comparison. That is all i will say as I wish to stay out o the "debate."

Drew

Old 03-18-2011, 03:36 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I will be installing a set of the Rokker J&M speakers on a Harley with the Boom amp next week. i will be posting a video before and after for comparison. That is all i will say as I wish to stay out o the "debate."

Drew
I would hope the rokkers would be better for the price. But its hard to beat the huge leap in sound volume and clarity that i got, and also have been told, by spending slightly over 100 bucks. No amp needed. Cant comment on the boom amp, for me on a streetglide i dont feel its neccesary.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 PM
dwayne.aycock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Hog Tunes all the way around (faring, lowers, tweeters, rears as well as am amp for a SPX Audio sub) see my PICs and you can see what i am talking about.
In the end however, there is little difference at highway speeds what any of the above mentioned speakers sounf like. You can hear the highs because of sound dynamics and you can feel the lows because of vitration travel, but most of the voice and music is in the middle bands which you won't be able to hear anyway. The quality of the Amp is important as it gives you the extra boost you need, but in the end, like most audiophiles I know, you are chasing perfection which does not exist in an environment where the best listening and sound position is the one where the engine is off and the bike is sitting still. It's all subjective Dude!!
Dwayne

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dwayne.aycock
In the end however, there is little difference at highway speeds what any of the above mentioned speakers sounf like. You can hear the highs because of sound dynamics and you can feel the lows because of vitration travel, but most of the voice and music is in the middle bands which you won't be able to hear anyway. The quality of the Amp is important as it gives you the extra boost you need, but in the end, like most audiophiles I know, you are chasing perfection which does not exist in an environment where the best listening and sound position is the one where the engine is off and the bike is sitting still. It's all subjective Dude!!
Dwayne
Well put. The longer I have a bagger with audio system, the more I come to accept that music-while-riding is best suited to 1st through 4th gear. At 70-75 mph, you just don't hear the tunes as good, even with an amp.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm dealing with the same question. Decided I'm gonna spray Pledge on my stock speakers and see if I get better bass response.

Quick Reply: Confused?! J&M, Hogtunes, or Boom