Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused?! J&M, Hogtunes, or Boom

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr817
I have boom and they were a huge improvement over stock. I believe they are the best bang for your buck. My 11 with stock radio and faring mounted booms sound better than my buddies 97 with sony radio with hogtunes and hog pod. He even admitted it. He was so pissed when i told him what i paid and what they were. As far as getting great sounding bass, good luck with that i havent heard a bagger yet with awesome bass.
Are you talking about these? I'm new to a radio on a bike.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Are you talking about these? I'm new to a radio on a bike.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Yep thats them.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My head is spinning about speakers as well. Right now I have Hawg Wired. They sound great, but they are not cheap. I want to add speakers to my lower fairings, so I would now need a 4 channel amp. I am going to wait to see what kind of reviews we get from the Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers. The price of the speakers seems reasonable.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM
viperr817
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FFeric
My head is spinning about speakers as well. Right now I have Hawg Wired. They sound great, but they are not cheap. I want to add speakers to my lower fairings, so I would now need a 4 channel amp. I am going to wait to see what kind of reviews we get from the Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers. The price of the speakers seems reasonable.
I cant really say that boom would be the way to go for adding amps and getting the best of the best. If i was to go with an amp i would prob steer towards RF or something like that. But to me the booms are plenty enough without an amp.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:37 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I got great response out of the stock speakers by adding Dynamat to the fairing. I was surprised.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by gedo76
I am sure this has been answered before but this is my first time on this forum and my head is spinning after reading some of the post about speakers!

I just bought an 2011 Street Glide and I am of course wanting to upgrade the sound quality as it sucks at highway speeds.

What manufacture is the best in your opinion?
More or less confused now? There are a lot of opinions on this forum regarding audio for your bike and the conclusion that I came to is that there is no consensus on what is the "best sounding", "best value" or even what is "good enough". Here is what I know: The stock head unit is under powered and the stock speakers are junk.

The bad news is... a speaker upgrade alone will probably not make you happy if the goal is improved fidelity and being louder.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:20 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

So, stupid question...if mine is loud enough, would adding an amp improve sound quality? I know it will make it louder, wondering if it will make it better?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dwayne.aycock
.....................In the end however, there is little difference at highway speeds what any of the above mentioned speakers sounf like. You can hear the highs because of sound dynamics and you can feel the lows because of vitration travel, but most of the voice and music is in the middle bands which you won't be able to hear anyway. The quality of the Amp is important as it gives you the extra boost you need, but in the end, like most audiophiles I know, you are chasing perfection which does not exist in an environment where the best listening and sound position is the one where the engine is off and the bike is sitting still. It's all subjective Dude!!
Dwayne
This is pretty much what I have discovered. Especially since speed limits in Texas is pretty much 70 mph.
Most all systems work up to 65 mph (adding in the effect of extra wind blowing)
So if you're running 70 into a 15 mph wind that's the same as driving 85.

Here's what I've done:
I tried the HAWG WIRED 150 watt amp and speakers (that's 75 watts per speaker) (gave it away after a year of frustration)
Then I went to Bigger 6 1/2" speakers (better bass)
Added some sound deading matterial (I couldn't tell it did anything at highway speed)
Then I went to Biketronics 180 watt per speaker amp (equal to what others say is a 360 watt amp)

Once I got the sound loud enough to hear over the wind noise at 70 miles per hour with the bigger amp,
it was too loud and bothered my ears (hearing).

Truth be told: The biggest improver is made with a bigger windshield,
but most guys don't like the looks of it.

I have now put in the HD BOOM speakers for around town riding
and I hooked up a headphone jack and wear my ear bud headphones for highway driving. Man is it sweet.
I can hear the music very well and even listen to quiter pop music.
Rather than have to have thumping Rock and Roll that I could just barely understand anyway.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 03-18-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:41 PM
viperr817
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
This is pretty much what I have discovered.

I have tried HAWG WIRED 150 watt amp and speakers (gave it away after a year of frustration)
Then I went to Bigger 6 1/2" speakers
Then I went to Biketronics 180 watt per speaker amp.

Once I got the sound loud enough to hear over the wind noise at 70 miles per hour with the bigger amp,
it was too loud and bothered my ears (hearing).

Truth be told: The biggest improver is made with a bigger windshield,
but most guys don't like the looks of it.

I have now put in the HD BOOM speakers for around town riding
and I hooked up a headphone jack and wear my ear bud headphones for highway driving. Man is it sweet.
I can hear the music very well and even listen to quiter pop music.
Rather than have to have thunmping Rock and Roll that I could just barely understand anyway.
Off topic... But dam v and h did a heck of a job with them crossoverduals, as far as how thety look! Looks good man.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,832 Likes on 19,326 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
I'm dealing with the same question. Decided I'm gonna spray Pledge on my stock speakers and see if I get better bass response.
Regular Pledge or Lemon scented?

Quick Reply: Confused?! J&M, Hogtunes, or Boom