Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk Audio MM6501 Components Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
vzg5vw
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Polk Audio MM6501 Components Installed

I just finished my installation of Polk 6.5's with 1" tweeters.

The Bike: 2011 Street Glide w ARC KS125.2mini and factory HU.

The Product: Polk Audio MM6501 6.5" Drivers with 1"tweets. These speakers are lightweight, slim depth, and look to be very well made. They are rated at 125W RMS / 250W Max. A big pull for this setup was these speakers are rated at 2.7ohm nominal impedance. I picked these up from Fry's for $215, you can buy them on Amazon for about $180. MSRP is $329.

The Installation:

Drivers: I haven't done the final driver installation, but they are installed using the old 7.25 adapters and brackets, I fabricated a metal adapter plate to use the 6.5's with this existing adapter. This was a temporary solution, as I wanted to test these out before I ordered the 6.5" adapter from ARC Audio. It all fit in with no issues, I just used the stock grill covers for the initial install. I also have acoustic foam in the inside of the outer fairing.

Tweeters: As you can see in the picture I removed my voltage and air gauges and moved the fuel gauge to the bottom location. This free'd up two holes that are almost perfect. The almost did take a little though, I ended up cutting a 3" gasket, with a 2" cutout in it to go on the back side of the tweet mounting cup. This gave the clips something to grab onto and to keep vibration from rubbing a hole in the fairing. The tweets are adjustable, so I just aimed them towards my head.

Crossovers: With a component set you have a crossover for each speaker. It was tight, but I was able to install these on top of the amp and on top of the factory wiring harness. They just fit.

AMP Configuration: Gain L/R all the way up (I might try to lower this a bit, but am trying to not have to turn the Stock HU up to loud to get my desired volume, this should reduce any distortion. Set the amp crossover to about 90Hz, Output to High, and Bass Boost to zero.

Harley HU Setup: I try to keep the volume around 4 bars, but that is not quite loud enough for windy highway speeds, probably end up around 6 bars in bad conditions. I have bass and treble set to 4 bars (less than half way). Make sure to turn AVC off as this can easily damage your equipment.

The Results: So far I'm very pleased with these speakers, with 20MPH head wind and 80MPH, I can actually hear the music clearly. Definitely not a ton of bass, but I just don't think you can achieve that using only 2 fairing speakers.

I am going to order speaker grills and a 6.5 adapter today and will post pics of the inside of the fairing when I install them.

Attached Thumbnails Polk Audio MM6501 Components Installed-img_0207-1-.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Garcou
Club Member

Nice job! Enjoy the new tunes!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM
ny2az
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good...was considering this as well....my local fry's had these on sale at $99....were $199 with $100 instant rebate applied....looking forward to your update...

what did you use to secure the tweets in the fairing...thx

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM
vzg5vw
Novice

It's hard to explain how I did the tweets, I'll post some pictures when I crack it back open for the final installation. Stay tuned.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
DooZ
Cruiser

Nice set up for the tweeters. I installed mine externally on the inner fairing higher up near the windshield. This was to make sure the better half could hear them as well. It's nice they are adjustable so you can direct the sound where you want it. With a decent amp, these speakers and tweeters are hard to beat for the $$$. Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Polk Audio MM6501 Components Installed-protourings-006-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by DooZ; 03-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Nice job!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

I want to install the same set up with an Alpine head unit. I already have a set of Titan xls and some hawg wired tweets. I have the Titan XL 6.5 wired to the amp and the tweets running off of the head unit. Its plenty loud but i think i can get more out of the set up if i go with the MM6501s. What do you think?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
imdamnedifido
6th Gear

Hey Dooz,

After reading your post about install of your MM's I was wondering if you could tell me more about the way you mounted your tweeters?
If i am seeing your pic correctly it looks as though you mounted only the tweeter without the cup. If so did you use veclro or some other adhesive?
I dont really want to cut into the inner fairing since all the examples I have seen show cutting being required that cuts into the plastic bracing inside the inner fairing.
I like what you have done with yours and would like to know more.

Anyone with more input please jump in here.

Tks Brad

Old 09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Ahhh ... Seeing the OP is an infrequent poster, I may not get answer but think I figured it out. I was curious about clearance issues/and what adapters he's using. I have DragonFly's and they responded the woofers will match up. Depth was another question but the magnets on the MM components are quite a bit smaller in diameter which should aid in batwing/slope clearance. My tweeters mount in the same gauge location so that won't be an issue. These sound like really nice speakers ...

Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are guys separating the tweeters from the speakers ??

Quick Reply: Polk Audio MM6501 Components Installed