Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! I need more handlebar pullback before Laughlin

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:07 AM
bikerjenna
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! I need more handlebar pullback before Laughlin

Hi Guys,

HELP!

Time is getting short. I have bought a new FLHTK Ultra Limited, and I find that the reach is causing my shoulders to hurt on a long ride. (shorter arms than men.) And I need to ride to Laughlin next month for the big ride.

I need to change handlebars, and my dealer is not being very helpful. They say they have some longer bars, but they have to switch from outside bar wiring to inside, costing an additional 10 hours labor and re-soldering some 20 wires or so, and it's a gamble as to how much pullback I'll get because the fairing is on and I can't put them up there to see. They don't seem to be considering after-market bars...

Then I see on another thread that Wild 1 575s or 577s http://www.wild1inc.com/BAGGER.html will help, but I see that they are also inside wiring---requiring that additional 10 hours labor?

But then I also read that maybe I only have to change the clutch cable? Not all of them?

I'm in a sea of misery, here, looking soooo much forward to the trip to Laughlin, but having to endure sore shoulders to do it, getting no real help to solve this problem.

Can someone give me some pointers? Ideas? Input? to help me figure out what I can do?

I need to get some bars on the 2011 Ultra Limited. (I don't want to change the seat, because the seat-to-feet distance is great as it is.)

Thank you

Jenna

Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 AM
bikerjenna
Intermediate

I think the problems are

(1) need to do the 10 hours labor because, the dealer's been saying, if I put on bars that require inside wiring, it'd be a switch from my current stock bars which are outside wiring, and

(2) Much more cost for parts as well, as if the new bars are longer (which they'd have to be for more pullback), then everything---all the cables and wires---has to be changed to accommodate the longer length.

Is this all true?

Because I'm reading here that with the Wild 1 575, only the clutch cable has to be changed?

Ideas please? Help?

Jenna

Old 03-18-2011, 06:58 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too much help here, I have installed WO508's on my King and WO518's on her King.

If just the clutch cable has to be replaced I would question if the 575's have enough pullback for what you seem to need. Have you called Wild One? Love their bars and always found them to be very helpful. I never understood clutch cable needing to be replaced and not brake line though, my experience has always been the clutch cable was the longer of the two but maybe it is EG vs RK set-up.

I think your point # 2 is dead-on. For a lot of pullback all will need to be extended. (wiring, cables, brake line) Have you called a couple of other dealers or tried to find a local Indy for better labor quote?

Bars can be tough to research/find........many have gone through more then one set to find the right ones (including me).

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Tuceaux
Cruiser

Whatever you do, don't buy the HD pullbacks, they will severly twist
your wrists to the inside.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find that dealers aren’t very helpful when it come to choosing handlebars because if they recommended a particular set of bars and you don't like them, it's their fault.

I've got the same issue but I'm not paying $1100.00 to get the handlebars changed out.

Last edited by shortride; 03-18-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what brand or style you choose it's a big job. Dealers will nail you for a lot of hours, indys maybe a few less. I used the HD 2" pullbacks on an 09 SG and they fit great. There was no need to change either cable but I did anyway. I used braided chrome and they look great. Now you know why a lot of us do our own service and avoid dealers at all costs. My suggestion if you are not going to work on your bike yourself is to find a reliable indy in your area. They will get to know you and your bike and you will be dealing with the same crew all the time. You will also have access to the best products available instead of a dealer pushing HD parts and accessories.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

Bikerjenna,

Take a look at the threads for Khromewerks + 2 sweeper handlebars. they are a little higher than stock but have more pullback to get your shoulders more comfortable, plus they have a decent wrist angle.

They are less than a 100 bucks and you do not have to wire them internally like the Wild ones. You'll need a longer clutch cable and some wireing extensions, but you will not need to do the internal wiring.

Also reccomend that you shop around if you have several dealers or good independent bike shops in your area. 10 hours for wiring bars internally is f*ckin steep.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 AM
kc347
Cruiser

Just a thought, you might try what I did. Pull the ignition, lower cap to bear the riser. You can get to the first two bolts. Loosen and bump the bars up. This will bring them in & back, might just be enough. If this works for you all you have to do is reposition the controls. Just my two cents.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Jenna,

Before you spend any money consider simply adjusting your current bars. I found exactly the same problem (I'm a bloke) with my Glide when I first bought it. It took me several adjustments to get it just right, but only cost me some spare time with a few tools.

When releasing the handlebar clamps, the bars can be rotated towards you, so the grips get a little closer, drop a little and will also ease the angle you hold them at. You may be surprised how much adjusting them can improve your comfort.

By coincidence kc347 and I were thinking and writing similar things at the same time!

Last edited by grbrown; 03-18-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the WO575 on my 09 Ultra and they will be plenty of pullback, huge difference. There's an extended harness for the TBW that doesn't require soldering any wires. That and the extended clutch cable is all you'll need. Im at work and don't have the part numbers, do a search for WO575 or kromewerks sweepers install. We'll be doing the laughlins river run too, staying at harrahs.

Quick Reply: HELP! I need more handlebar pullback before Laughlin