Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 AM
adlad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB questions

My buddies and I just got back from riding to Daytona from Raleigh and were very dissappointed in the way our CB's worked. We could not connect unless we were within a couple of hundred yards. Does anyone have any tips for tuning or adjusting the CB's so that you can get someone that might be 1/2 mile ahead or behind? We were on clear roads with some traffic but we could see each other very easily. I have an 07 Ultra and they were both riding 10 CVO Ultras. Two of us have shorty antenna and one has the stock ones that came on the CVO. We tried more squelch, less squelch. Help, any suggestions.

Adlad
07 Black Cherry Ultra

Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The scala rider G4 by Cardo can talk between bikes for up to a mile via a wireless system. Don't know much about the HD CB radio system other than to say all the wires to use the head set is a pain. A buddy and I rode the other day with the Cardo system. He could talk to me when I was well over a mile away. Not that much money IF you do or need to communicate with passengers and \ or other riders. Here is the link;
http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...er-g4-powerset

Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

adlad ,,,,

the CB radios on the Harley Ultras are normally excellent bike-to-bike communications devices, with maximum ranges between 1 & 2 miles depending upon atmospheric conditions at the time ,,,,

every single Ultra ever made is equipped with a 40-ch CB radio ,,, everyone in the riding group can talk, everyone in the group can hear, regardless if the group size is 3 or 300 bikes ,,,

BUT ,,, your CB radio's performance is 100% antenna dependent, if the SWRs are too high OR the antenna coax cable is unplugged, shorted to ground or open between the transmitter and the antenna base, transmission/reception distance can drop to less than 50 yards ,,,,,

the ""Shorty"" antennas you speak of could be part of the problem ,,,,, depending upon what brand and if they are tuned properly for the Harley CB radio ,,,,

J&M's shorty antennas for the Harley are pre-tuned at our factory for the various model years of the Ultra ((see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=HFCA-08&PF=43 & http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=HFCA-09&PF=43 ,,)))

HOWEVER ,,, you do NOT need to switch to the J&M shorty antennas to achieve good CB performance ,,,, you just need to find a good Harley dealer or CB shop that has the meter and special adapter cables for connection ,, AND the knowledge to use them properly to check and tune your factory Harley CB antennas for optimum performance ,,,,,

Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't mean to point out the obvious ... but make sure the volume is set correctly in the CB function. FM/CD/MP3 volume and CB volumes are separately controlled.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I think JMJOHN hit the nail right on the head. The shorty antennas are a likely culprit. We get much better range on our rides with the factory CB

Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

As previously mentioned, the shorty antennas may be the culprit. You need to find a local HD shop that has the capability to measure the SWR using a meter and the adapters to connect the meter between the CB module and antenna cable (HD doesn't use the normal connectors so adapaters are required).

Another resource is Clay at Clay's Radio shop (http://claysradioshop.com/) if you want to talk to an expert on CB; he has lots of experience with HD's CB system.

Carl

Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM
BigTM
Cruiser

ANTENNA is always the issue, unless it the antenna connection or the antenna grounding. The size does matter, CB needs line of sight to get any distance at all. If it is below the top of your tourpack it will work better out behind. The CB is old technology and not useful more a mile. Sometimes you may get further, but depend on only hearing someone within a few blocks. I like mine and use it often. Only in a limited distance though. T

Old 03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

I have the stock antennas and ride with friends who have the same and we have no issues.Recption it a mile or more,one bike has the shorties and it does affect it but can still hear him better than what you say.It took me a few times to figure out the cb volume is not the same as radio,adjusted seperately.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 PM
GNDHG
5th Gear

Can't receive on my CB here. My 2011 Ultra Limited got it's new headset installed in the helmet yesterday and my friend got my old headset into his helmet (known to work). He's on an '06 Ultra. Both on Ch. 4, he can hear me but I cannot he heard by him. Checked & experimented with CB volume settings, squelch & VOX settings and he's been trying to talk to me using the PTT button. Funny thing is that I hear only a "click" when he presses his PTT. I tried a busy CB channel 19 and heard many "clicks" which I imagine were truckers talking, but never heard anything after the clicks (radio would go silent when this happened, as expected, but no CB talking was ever heard.) Any clues what might be wrong to prevent incoming signals on a new 2011 bike's CB - or tests we can try?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GNDHG
Can't receive on my CB here. My 2011 Ultra Limited got it's new headset installed in the helmet yesterday and my friend got my old headset into his helmet (known to work). He's on an '06 Ultra. Both on Ch. 4, he can hear me but I cannot he heard by him. Checked & experimented with CB volume settings, squelch & VOX settings and he's been trying to talk to me using the PTT button. Funny thing is that I hear only a "click" when he presses his PTT. I tried a busy CB channel 19 and heard many "clicks" which I imagine were truckers talking, but never heard anything after the clicks (radio would go silent when this happened, as expected, but no CB talking was ever heard.) Any clues what might be wrong to prevent incoming signals on a new 2011 bike's CB - or tests we can try?
Make sure the head set is plugged in good. Sometimes very hard to get plugged in right. Might try some pin grease or dielectric grease. If two bikes have same plugins swap head sets to test. That may narrow it down. You can talk base to bike and get 10-20 miles or so depending on the conditions and how illegal the base station is. Bike to Bike is 1 to 2 miles. Should be better. The Vox only works on intercom. The PTT will cause CB to transmit even if mic is not hooked up. That is why the clicking. Also the external speakers can receive the CB audio switch to rear middle both headset and external, and forward headset only. it can be a pain to get working.

Last edited by ke5rbd; 04-15-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Vox

Quick Reply: CB questions