Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang vs Harley riders backrest

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 AM
m361
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

Just received my 2nd Mustang seat w/ rider backrest and passenger pad yesterday. First set I had on my '01 RK and loved it. I tried the HD stock '08 SG seat and HD backrest, as well as a HD Sundowner seat w/ HD backrest and it was no comparison. Mustang wins hands down. More comfortable, easier to adjust, easier to remove/install and IMO looks better. Only complaint is they are pricey...I got the rider seat, rider backrest, rider seat nuts, passenger pad and fender bib for about $600. Not horribly unreasonable for years of comfort though.

Best price for the seats I could find was at www.mustangseatdealer.com
Best price for the fender bib and rider seat nuts was www.denniskirk.com

Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingace
They did improve the HD bracket on the 09 frame, so I can now get the thing adjusted back enough to be comfortable. Its part the bracket, and part the fact that they moved the mounting point further back on the fender.

My personal favorite is the 09-later fixed mount HD COMPACT style backrest. I would probably go with the Mustang again, but while its thinner, its also quite wide. Not enough leg room for passengers...it digs into their legs. The HD COMPACT backrests dont have this problem.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
For all those with the Mustang who ride two up, has your passenger ever complained about the wide pad digging into their legs?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
vonzoog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tek74
For all those with the Mustang who ride two up, has your passenger ever complained about the wide pad digging into their legs?
My wife does. I think that a lot of that has to with us using a "shorty" backrest that actually sits about an inch forward of the rear of the pillion seat. I have a detachable tourpak on the order and I believe that will help solve the problem by allowing her to set further back. Right now she sits too close and is crowding me. Hoping the tourpak will solve this issue. When I ride by myself I just have the 17 inch solo seat on and with the solo backrest it is great.

One other note. Between two Harleys I have been through 5 different seats. Now that I have a Mustang seat all I can say is that I never think or talk about the seat anymore. I think that that says it all. I love it. Also bought the Mustang tourpak backrest just because of the quality and comfort of the seat I now own.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tek74
Yes. In fact, usually removed it when the wife was with me.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce sg08
Out of the 2 seems that people prefer the Mustang as its thinner and has more adjustment. The HD (standard backrest) users can't seem to get it adjusted right (to far forward), HD was suposedly redesign in 09, any better? Not interested in the HD adjustable don't like the switch on the side. Which do you use and why.
I have the Mustang on my bike.I like the smooth look.It looks very high quality,& its comfortable.