Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang vs Harley riders backrest

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM
Rob0331
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tek74
Great thread. I've started looking at backrests and after reading all the +1 comments on the Mustang, I'll probably got that route. I heard the HD set up requires you to buy a separate install kit. Does the Mustang also require a separate kit? And what distributor has the best prices on the Mustangs?
No. The Mustang seat has everything built in for the back rest, no additional hardware needed.

As far as good pricing...no idea. I bought the Super Touring seat at a rally and then ordered the back rest later straight from Mustang. The pricing was the same at the rally as it is online from Mustang.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Rob0331
Intermediate

Originally Posted by glidenwide
Where can you find the actual backrest not just the pad?I looked at mustangseats.com but all I saw was the pads.
I had the same problem when I went to order the back rest for my seat. I just emailed customer service and told them what seat I had and asked for the link to the proper back rest. If i remember correctly, they emailed me back within 24 hours.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That depends on the Mustang seat you buy if it has the backrest built in or not. I have the Super Solo seat with Backrest built in. My wife has a Mustang Regal Touring seat and her Mustang Backrest is separate. The bracket mounts in the same location as HD. If you like the seat you have and want to add a Mustang Backrest, It will work with most of Harley's stock seats.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Rob0331
Intermediate

Good point Ron. I was thinking of the seat I have.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce sg08
Out of the 2 seems that people prefer the Mustang as its thinner and has more adjustment. The HD (standard backrest) users can't seem to get it adjusted right (to far forward), HD was suposedly redesign in 09, any better? Not interested in the HD adjustable don't like the switch on the side. Which do you use and why.
Ive had all 3:

1. HD Adjustable on 07

2. HD fixed on 07 and 09

3. Mustang on 07

They did improve the HD bracket on the 09 frame, so I can now get the thing adjusted back enough to be comfortable. Its part the bracket, and part the fact that they moved the mounting point further back on the fender.

My personal favorite is the 09-later fixed mount HD COMPACT style backrest. I would probably go with the Mustang again, but while its thinner, its also quite wide. Not enough leg room for passengers...it digs into their legs. The HD COMPACT backrests dont have this problem.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

The Mustang gets the nod for easier on the fly adjustment, but I found that once I had the thing adjusted where I wanted it, I never moved it. Mustang also offers an offset mounting peg that leans it further back. With that part, the forwardmost position is about where the standard posts rearmost ajustment ends.

If your like me and get the thing set and leave it, I would go with the Harley compact fixed mount backrest for 09-later (assuming you have an 09-later bike) The Mustang is nice, but if momma bitches and you have to take it off when she's on the bike, its not doing you any good.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the one I am considering.
http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=1544
Jeff

Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingace
My personal favorite is the 09-later fixed mount HD COMPACT style backrest. I would probably go with the Mustang again, but while its thinner, its also quite wide. Not enough leg room for passengers...it digs into their legs. The HD COMPACT backrests dont have this problem.
Good point to consider regarding the width of the Mustang. My lady has short legs at 5ft tall, so this might be an issue. Now that I think about it, you'd think that Mustang would offer two versions; a wide pad and a more narrow pad.

Mustang.....Are you listening?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM
UltraDune
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a Mustang seat on my '09 Ultra in Daytona. The 'Super-Tour' I think it is and bought the drivers back-rest as well. This all replaced the stock seat and HD back-rest....No comaprison at all!! I was on the fence for some time to drop the $ into a seat but 2 miles down the road I forgot all about the cost. Best addition to my bike yet. The seat drops me down and back and even though Im 6' it puts my feet down that bit quicker. I find with it bringing me back I dont find the stock bars as cramped anymore. Was going to replace those but will put a few more miles on the Mustang before I decide. Ride Safe.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority on this one, but went w/HD's manual-adjust rider backrest & am very pleased. Had a Mustang on my 05 XL1200C and it was goo too. Decided on HD b/c I had MCC mod my stoce FLHX seat so already invested $$$ into sticking w/HD. Don't think you can go wrong w/either...HD is just a bit harder to adjust, but not difficult.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 AM
jestey
Stage I
Default 'stang backrest

I replaced the original HD seat with a Mustang and bought the rider backrest. It saved me on long rides many times. Easy to adjust, mount and remove. High quality and stood up to 9 years of riding. I'll go back and get one for my new RG.

Quick Reply: Mustang vs Harley riders backrest