Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Classic Wheels--Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
EGLSFAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Classic Wheels--Need Advice

Just ordered my first Harley (2011 Road King Classic). The bike won't ship for about a month so I have some time to decide what to do about wheels. I know it comes standard with the steel laced wheels, but it looks like you can upgrade to chrome aluminum wheels for about $450. My understanding is that they both require tubed tires, since they are laced/spoked wheels. I tried talking to the "stealer", but they weren't much help. Was hoping someone could offer some advice. Do the aluminum wheels look much better than the steel ones (hard to tell from HD website)? Thanks.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
mikeflhr10
Advanced

I have them look alot better
But the steeler said they don't need tubes I think he is full of$%!+

Old 03-16-2011, 02:06 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Cast aluminum wheels do not require tubes. Aluminum is a bitch to keep clean. Spend a little more for chrome.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Milwaukee 1
Cruiser

Congrats on the new scoot!

I'd say spend that $450 on something that's gonna make a more noticeable difference. I have the steel laced wheels and they look great when they're cleaned up. For me personally, the wheel upgrade wouldn't be worth it.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM
HD Roamer
Intermediate

Milwaukee 1 is right, I have a 2004 RKC and my wheels still look great. Aluminum will look jus like chrome if you stay after them but its constant. Save your $$ and upgrade to PM wheels or Hogpro down the line and use the cash for other upgrades, bling, performance, whatever. My

Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your planning on sticking with the laced wheels, go with the chrome. lace wheels are hard enough to keep clean, the chrome will be easier than aluminum. And yes, IMO the chrome laced wheels look better on that bike (got a buddies 09 RKC sitting in my shop for the winter). If your going to spend money on aftermarket wheels down the road, aluminum laced will do. Pretty sure those laced wheels require tubes in them too.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
fm58
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 40 Posts

I ordered my 11 FLHRC with the chrome. They really look nicer than the stock, they really stand out.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

I've been trying for over FOUR YEARS to find spoked/laced wheels that are air-tight and that fit my RKC. So far, no luck. There is a company that makes them to fit imports (can't remember who they are), but not Harleys. So, I carry a Co2 inflator and 2 bottles of that green stuff, just in case, on long trips. I don't worry too much about getting a flat around town, since my insurance will cover the towing bill.

And, yes...go for the CHROME wheels...the cleaning time saved is worth it alone!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Spindrifter
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

From what I understand, the Aluminum ones are chrome plated. In that case, there wouldn't be the usual polishing needed with aluminum that isn't plated...

Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM
webbdog8
Road Captain

for my mone i would upgrade when i was at the dealer i saw 2 bikes with laced wheels one standard lce and on the up grade i thought the upgrade was better by far i would not replace my wheels for them but a $450 doller up grade i say go for it

Quick Reply: Road King Classic Wheels--Need Advice