Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tube vs tubeless tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Tube vs tubeless tires

Hey all, getting ready to drop the hammer on a set of new WWW tires. My question is, are the tubed and tubeless tires the same thing, with one running a tube inside while the other one does not? Thinkin of ordering online as dealer quoted me $505 mounted and out the door (Dunlops). Can pick them up online at motorcycle superstore for about $250 for the tires with free shipping. Add cost of having an indie mount them and I may come out ahead.
Just don't see any reference to "tubed" or "tubeless" on their site. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 AM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your running a spoked wheel your gonna have to run with tubes, just the way the world goes around. I prefer a mag wheel so I don't have to worry about a tubed tire or a spoke coming loose and going thru it.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I think he knows spoked wheels need tubes. I never thought there was a tire difference. Ask to make sure. Don't forget new tubes and trim strm strips. Make sure they are indentical tires too and model numbers.

Last edited by Chuck1; 03-16-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 AM
sl954
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The modern Dunlops can be run tubed or tubeless depending on the wheel you use.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phat09flhx
If your running a spoked wheel your gonna have to run with tubes, just the way the world goes around. I prefer a mag wheel so I don't have to worry about a tubed tire or a spoke coming loose and going thru it.
In my 47 years of riding Harleys I have never heard or seen a spoke coming loose (they can become loose) and going through the tube. The spoke cannot come free from the hub. There are ways to seal wire wheels from the inside, so tubless tires can be used. And by the way, tubeless tires can also get cut or punctured rendering them useless. Yes, they can be plugged, provided the damage is not that bad.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try "jakewilson.com" I got a Dunlop E3, front, and a Michelin Commander, rear, delivered to the door for 156.00

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey Dave, spokes can come free of the hub if they weren't maintained and enlarged the hole in the hub.
Spoked rims are fine but require extra maintenance. Tubes, on the other hand, can leave you stranded. That's the main reason why my RKC looks nothing like when it left the showroom.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Most tires are tubeless and can be run with tubes. Some rims (mainly spokes) require tubes. Harleys (and other manufacturers) use "tubeless" tires on spoke wheels and they have a tube in them due to the rim.
Honestly I haven't seen a "tube required" tire for a motorcycle in many years.

If you do find a tire that says it requires a tube then yes it requires a tube, no matter what type of rim, the best example of a tube type tire I can think of is bicycle tires.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, I've never heard of a spoke going through a tube. Those who think tubeless tires are better well, the only thing that's better is if you can plug it while still on the bike. If you cut it, forget about that ... you got to replace it. Sometimes if you cut a tubed tire you may miss the tube and keep on going. Last year, I had a big bolt tear through the edge of my rear tire. I pulled the bolt out with my vicegrips and continued on ... for 4 thousand miles before I replaced the tire. Try that with tubeless!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:48 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
Hey Dave, spokes can come free of the hub if they weren't maintained and enlarged the hole in the hub.
Spoked rims are fine but require extra maintenance. Tubes, on the other hand, can leave you stranded. That's the main reason why my RKC looks nothing like when it left the showroom.
Not trying to start a pissing contest here but, if your spokes are that loose you are going to hear it. I have put many,many miles on spoke wheels and have never had a problem. Using something like "Slime" or something similar, with some c02 cartridges will usually get you to some place to get a repair. The tube should be replaced anyways and most times you can just keep using the same tire. Yes, they should be checked on occasion and here is how.

Support the wheels off the ground using a lift, then rotate the wheel while using a screwdriver lightly tapping against the spokes. What you are listening for is a change in sound as the wheel turns. A loose spoke will sound different than the other tight ones. Most here put their bikes on a lift when washing their bikes to clean the wheels and this is the time to check your spokes. Simple and easy to do. Fear mongering over tube tires is a waste of thought.

Quick Reply: Tube vs tubeless tires