Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shot DOWN by Dealer on Tire Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM
deanp1964
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shot DOWN by Dealer on Tire Recall

FINAL UPDATE:
I'm very happy to report that I just picked up my bike with the new front tire - replaced by Barnett HD per the Service Bulletin.

I should really add that since my complaint yesterday, the management at Barnett has been EXTREMELY gracious and professional. Basically, one individual made a mistake yesterday with me (and my tire) and they've quickly corrected the situation. I also spoke with that individual today and he was very cool, apologizing for his mistake and its all good.

Bottom line is that Barnett fixed this problem fast and I have a new tire on my FLHTP as I should. I got some good feedback here from the forum gang and I appreciate that as well.

thanks,
Dean

================================================== =======================
Well, on Wednesday, I took my 2009 FLHTP in to Barnett H-D here in El Paso and talked to Ric the service manager about the recall bulletin on the front tires on some 2009 Touring models. He checked it out, approved it and scheduled me for Monday (today) at 9:00 am.

So today, I show up and Ric isn't there, so I guess another service manager or his assistant greets me at the counter. I explain my appointment and he goes out to the bike to check the tire.

He tells me that he "can't approve it - Harley Davidson won't reimburse us for it because its under 3/32"".

Well, naturally, I'm disappointed but I'm also pretty ticked that I had to go down there two times to discuss the same thing and leave empty-handed.

The recall is for cupping on the Dunlop tires, basically, so I don't know if this guy measured right or wrong or what. I have to assume that he measured correctly I suppose, but how do I know he didn't just check one of the low spots due to the cupping?

When I asked him why the heck did Ric approve it and now he won't he just growled that "I can't speak for Ric cuz he ain't here". That ticked me off and I voiced my displeasure at having to come down twice, leaving work and all.

Well, I guess I'll just have to swallow this one and move on - but I think I'm finished with Barnett H-D Sales & Service. I might buy a key chain or hat once in awhile but probably not much more. Maybe sunglasses.

We'll see.
----------
UPDATE:

I just received a phone call from Stan, the ACTUAL Service Manager at Barnett. (I was confused earlier about the titles of the other gentlemen, apparently).

Anyways, he was very gracious and clarified some things for me. He explained that my tire will be covered and will be replaced. The gentleman this morning was mistaken. I will return tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it goes after the replacement is completed.

He also explained for purpose of clarification that this isn't actually a recall but a Service Bulletin. A recall is a straight-up recall/replacement with no 'dealer discretion' involved. A service bulletin does involve dealer discretion, but as Stan stated to me, a mistake was made by one of his associates and thus the unhappy state of my mind earlier today.

So, it sounds like things are straightened out. I guess I'll know for sure after replacement has been made and I pick my bike back up.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I appreciate the feedback I got from my hdforum counterparts - and I appreciate the prompt response, thus far, from Barnett HD in El Paso.

Last edited by deanp1964; 03-15-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmmm, think I would call back and ask for Ric.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would wait till Ric was there OR go to another dealer.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless Ric lets this go through you are screwed as Barnett's has the market sewed up tight in that area. If you can't get Ric to get it replaced you might consider the other Barnett's in Las Cruces but again, good luck. I have heard plenty of horror storied about their service department.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not just eat this one. I had almost the same thing happen to me here in Tennessee. I took my 09 back to the the Dealer I bought the bike from. They acted as though they didn't want to help me. I called Customer Service at the MoCo. The lady was really nice and gave me a number to take back to that Dealer. She even offered to call the Dealer and set me up an appointment. I told her no thank you, I've already had enough of them. I took it to another Dealer in Georgia. They didn't measure the Tread or say a word. Took the bike back and not only replaced the front, they replaced the back tire as well. Said it was also cupping. The Salesman at this Dealer told me they were selling the 09's that still had the 407F on the front and telling the buyer's to ride them as long as they wanted to, then bring them back for a new tire. It's all in the Dealer you go to!! Good Luck!!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

As others have stated I'd see if I could get Ric on the phone. Also; I had my front replaced under warranty but I only got 50% because it was worn to 3/32, so I think that they at least owe you that.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles on the tire?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does the tire have to show signs of cupping or can you get it replaced anyway (assuming you have more than 3/32 left on it)?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Fuji
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This dealership sounds like its owned and run by clowns. Texas is a big place. (And yeah, I lived in El Paso). Try some place else

Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
RdKng09
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my 09 RK in this week. The dealer told me above 3/32 is full replacement and below that would be 50%.I have 12,000 miles on mine and right now and it reads 4/32 average at three random spots. Mine is not bad just looking at it but I have picked up a bad low speed vibration. I'll post the results.

Quick Reply: Shot DOWN by Dealer on Tire Recall