Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shot DOWN by Dealer on Tire Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
313wenmanning
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dean, thanks for letting me know. I'm on this right now. I don't know if you got a new person or what, but Ric's been there a long time so let me look into this. It doesn't sound like us.
- Wendy, Barnett's H-D Online

Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
deanp1964
Road Master

Originally Posted by 313wenmanning
Dean, thanks for letting me know. I'm on this right now. I don't know if you got a new person or what, but Ric's been there a long time so let me look into this. It doesn't sound like us.
- Wendy, Barnett's H-D Online

Wendy, I don't question Ric's qualifications at all. I cannot say the same about the gentleman that I had to deal with this morning though.

If you speak with him, I'm sure he might complain about my language.I was pretty pissed - his attitude was pathetic to say the least.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
ggerline
Advanced

Does this recall obtain to just 09? I have a 2010 does anyone know about mine? Thanks

Old 03-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ggerline
Does this recall obtain to just 09? I have a 2010 does anyone know about mine? Thanks
The 09 recall was for 407F tires that were cupping and making a loud whining noise when laid over in a turn. Some had vibration as well. All the 407F tires were phased out and the 408F took their place. If you're having problems with the 408F or the 407 rear tire, I would see a Dealer. I've got over 12K on my 2010 wioth the newer 408F front. No problems yet!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggerline
your 2010 should have the new 408's on it already.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
deanp1964
Road Master

UPDATE:

I just received a phone call from Stan, the ACTUAL Service Manager at Barnett. (I was confused earlier about the titles of the other gentlemen, apparently).

Anyways, he was very gracious and clarified some things for me. He explained that my tire will be covered and will be replaced. The gentleman this morning was mistaken. I will return tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it goes after the replacement is completed.

He also explained for purpose of clarification that this isn't actually a recall but a Service Bulletin. A recall is a straight-up recall/replacement with no 'dealer discretion' involved. A service bulletin does involve dealer discretion, but as Stan stated to me, a mistake was made by one of his associates and thus the unhappy state of my mind earlier today.

So, it sounds like things are straightened out. I guess I'll know for sure after replacement has been made and I pick my bike back up.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I appreciate the feedback I got from my hdforum counterparts - and I appreciate the prompt response, thus far, from Barnett HD in El Paso.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by deanp1964
UPDATE:

I just received a phone call from Stan, the ACTUAL Service Manager at Barnett. (I was confused earlier about the titles of the other gentlemen, apparently).

Anyways, he was very gracious and clarified some things for me. He explained that my tire will be covered and will be replaced. The gentleman this morning was mistaken. I will return tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how it goes after the replacement is completed.

He also explained for purpose of clarification that this isn't actually a recall but a Service Bulletin. A recall is a straight-up recall/replacement with no 'dealer discretion' involved. A service bulletin does involve dealer discretion, but as Stan stated to me, a mistake was made by one of his associates and thus the unhappy state of my mind earlier today.

So, it sounds like things are straightened out. I guess I'll know for sure after replacement has been made and I pick my bike back up.

As I mentioned earlier, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I appreciate the feedback I got from my hdforum counterparts - and I appreciate the prompt response, thus far, from Barnett HD in El Paso.
Good for you that Barnett came to their senses and will replace the tire for free.
FYI, the Service Bulletin calls for a 50% credit on a new tire if the old one has less than 3/32" and more than 1/32"
Last July, when I had mine checked, the Service Mngr didn't even measure the tread depth. He ran his fingers on the tire and said, "yep, it's cupped, he needs be replaced." The tire had 10K miles

Old 03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
LoBoy
Cruiser

I brought mine in as well and recieved a TON of run around from the dealer. Yes they will, no they won't, yes they will, etc. I finally got pissed off enough and called Harley direct. They, then called the dealer, and the tire was replace. The dealer is 2 miles from my house, and I won't ever buy anything from them again! I'll go somewhere where they want my business and will repect me as well.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
spiker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dealer told me the same thing about my 09 Road King that the tire was too worn down.I just said OK.Guess that's the last they'll see of me,or maybe if I need an inexpensive part I'll stop in and mention something.POS tires they put on with no recall,yet people will tell you your crazy for putting on a CT on the rear.

Last edited by spiker; 03-14-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some where on here the actual bulletin was posted. It is very clear as to what the customer needs to state and exactly what the dealer needs to do for reimbusement. When I had the front tire on my 09 replaced, I actually printed the bulletin and took it when the appt was scheduled. You should have seen the look on their face when I showed it to them, it was priceless!

Quick Reply: Shot DOWN by Dealer on Tire Recall