Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curved License Plate Frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 PM
harleync
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sanlyn
Good advice ... I'm going to have to wait to install the bumper pads since it's still too cold. I might have to just shoot it with the heat gun to warm things up. The instructions are pretty vague on where to place the pads. Where do they go? It also said to put one on top of the other ... stick them together? line them up vertically???
I bought kuryakyn curved license plate.The instructions on the web site shows putting the two pads together, The instructions that came with the plate were diff, It said too put the pads behind the lower screw holes against the fender to keep the plate from scratching the fender If the plate moves..Well I put one pad in the middle right above the rubber insert. I have no movement with the plate at all.plus it was about 3/4 inch clearance between the plate and the fender. I put the pad there just in case..

Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harleync
I bought kuryakyn curved license plate.The instructions on the web site shows putting the two pads together, The instructions that came with the plate were diff, It said too put the pads behind the lower screw holes against the fender to keep the plate from scratching the fender If the plate moves..Well I put one pad in the middle right above the rubber insert. I have no movement with the plate at all.plus it was about 3/4 inch clearance between the plate and the fender. I put the pad there just in case..
My instructions that came with the plate were the same as the web site. I went ahead and finished the plate install before worrying about the pad, as that was the last step AFTER the installation. Mine appears to have plenty of clearance without the pads.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad I have a '09. I just removed the brake light and went thru there to get at the bolts.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Ive had 2 on my 07, the first one I didnt use the rubber pad and after thousands of miles the backing plate cracked and my personalized plate fell off. Didnt even see it, lucky my buddy was behind me and picked it up. So for insurance I siliconed the pad in and put 2 big ol globs of the stuff to keep it from vibrating excessively or maybe next time it breaks it wont fall off.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Never thought of that.

Last edited by HighLiner; 03-14-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
bigmegina
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=sanlyn;8042741]My wife gave me one of the new curved license plate frames for my birthday Friday. I had some free time today, so camped out in the garage to install it. I didn't really want to remove the fender for this, so I played contortionist and swapped out the frames without removing the fender. My only concern was I couldn't get the torque wrench up in behind the fender to tighten it to specs (I'm usually really diligent about that). I managed to tighten it up pretty good, but hope I'm not going to regret that decision.

do you have a part number?:will it fit a 2012 serg?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:37 AM
bigmegina
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusty_SERG
Definitely cleans up the rear end of the SERG!

what are you using for a licence plate light?will it work on a 2012 serg?

Old 01-23-2021, 08:35 AM
flhx992
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Stack the pads.."??

Originally Posted by sanlyn
Good advice ... I'm going to have to wait to install the bumper pads since it's still too cold. I might have to just shoot it with the heat gun to warm things up. The instructions are pretty vague on where to place the pads. Where do they go? It also said to put one on top of the other ... stick them together? line them up vertically???
Bumping an old thread back to life - and I know this is ridiculous! The instructions are so vague... "Stack the pads one on top of the other to achieve a tight fit". What the hell? Stack the block pads on top of each other? Where do they go? And where did you attach the 2 black felt padded strips? Sorry to even ask!

HD Curved License Plate Frame

Old 01-23-2021, 09:04 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

From the instructions:

5. See Figure 3. Place the 1.3 mm (½ in) bumper pads between the installed back plate and the rear fender bumper.
a. Clean the rear fender bumper with a mixture of 50 to 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30 to 50% distilled water. Allow to dry thoroughly.
b. Peel the backing from the bumper pad and apply to rear fender bumper. Stack the pads one on top of the other to achieve a tight fit.

NOTE:
Use the adhesive foam strips included in the kit to prevent vibration between the back plate and license plate.

Figure 3 shows where the "bumper pads" are supposed to be located... in the instruction pic it shows the bumper pads as round, when what you actually get are square. They're just there to prevent/reduce vibration.
The "Note" tells you what the strips are for.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:05 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,211 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by flhx992
Bumping an old thread back to life - and I know this is ridiculous! The instructions are so vague... "Stack the pads one on top of the other to achieve a tight fit". What the hell? Stack the block pads on top of each other? Where do they go? And where did you attach the 2 black felt padded strips? Sorry to even ask!

HD Curved License Plate Frame
Use the adhesive foam strips included in the kit to prevent vibration between the back plate and license plate.

The block pads go under the bottom of the license plate frame to keep it the frame from scratching the fender from vibration. Put one pad near each corner of the frame.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 01-23-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Curved License Plate Frame