Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with full face helmet on Street Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 AM
roox
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a ff modular (shoei multitech) and it is very comfortable. Living in Alberta means I don't ride in 80+ degree weather very often (only a couple of time a year maybe) and most of my riding is hyway not town. I have a couple of 3/4 that I don't wear anymore due to noise. I use a scala setup and find the ff is great with it.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM
denalion22
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my full face lid.
Name:  9f57de3c.jpg
Views: 11867
Size:  26.0 KB

Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

As a reminder I keep a crushed 1/2 helmet that I was wearing in an accident a 1 1/2 ago. I see the damage to the helmet and am thankful that it wasn't my skull and am still amazed that somehow my face, chin, etc. was only inches away from the impact zone and the road surface, which I ragdolled on for 75 yards before coming to a stop, and some how escaped unscathed.

I wear a modular at all times now. Even when it is 100 degrees. Don't find it to be hot except possibly at traffic lights and all I have to do is flip up it up until the light changes.

Definitely don't miss the rock like bug splats on the face either. Now when I hear the thwack of a beetle and see the guts ooze across the visor I just snicker and wipe them off instead of swerving, exciting the cars around me, and spewing expletives also consternating John Q Public.

As to how the helmet looks when I an riding, I don't have to see it, so I don't care. I don't ride to be looked at and envied anyway.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a bunch of helmets, at least 8 or 9 and I only wear the FF in cold weather. Maybe it is just the one I have but it blocks too much of my peripheral vision. And it really doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride with what helmet. Whatever floats your boat...

Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 AM
sandfan85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by electra glide
I was thinking about getting one, or a modular, but aren't they hot??? Just seems like it wouyld be. And I would imagine they cut down on how much radio you can hear.?? I wear a 1/2 at all times since my son was born 19 mos. ago, so does the wife. If they're that much more protection, I'm up for it. But, I think a good DOT 1/2 can save you too. Anything's better than nothing.

Most full face helmets these days have fantastic venting systems to keep your melon from overheating!!

This attachment is a test that was conducted by a helmet company, showing the percent of damage sustained in a typical fall or crash. If you add the areas of the face, chin, right and left, together they equal more damage than the rest of the helmet combined. And, if you look at the areas typically protected by a 1/2 or 3/4, they dont protect S**T.

I wear the best FF helmet I can afford (Shoei) regardless of looks or comfort. At some point you have to ask yourself what is most important, Looks, Comfort or Safety. Unfortunately, we cant have all three. Whatever helmet you choose to wear.........RIDE SAFE

Riding with full face helmet on Street Glide...-helmet-impact.jpg

Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sandfan85
Most full face helmets these days have fantastic venting systems to keep your melon from overheating!!

This attachment is a test that was conducted by a helmet company, showing the percent of damage sustained in a typical fall or crash. If you add the areas of the face, chin, right and left, together they equal more damage than the rest of the helmet combined. And, if you look at the areas typically protected by a 1/2 or 3/4, they dont protect S**T.

I wear the best FF helmet I can afford (Shoei) regardless of looks or comfort. At some point you have to ask yourself what is most important, Looks, Comfort or Safety. Unfortunately, we cant have all three. Whatever helmet you choose to wear.........RIDE SAFE

Attachment 172427
Thank you for posting this, it should be in a sticky somewhere. I have been riding the fence on buying a Shark modular, but this has sealed the deal for me. Worst case scenario with one of those is that I'll be wearing a 3/4 helmet.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

To each his own. That's what's great about this country! Prefer the 1/2 carbon fiber I wear most of the time, but also like my modular flip up for the cold, cold days. I also picked up a carbon fiber 3/4 that fits great. Depends on weather. Probably shouldn't, but it does for me.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both ff and 1/2 shell. I wear XXXL so they are hard to find. I use my ff most of the time. Its best in cold weather and rain. It also blocks out much of the wind noise so I use it on long interstate trips. I leaves me less tired at the end of the day. I use my 1/2 shell during warmer months for local trips and casual riding through the mountain of east tennessee and North Caroling. I can talk better with my passenger and take in the countryside better thorugh a half shell.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Burch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with a ff, but ended up taking the shield off of it. I didn't like the way it felts with it on. Can't explain why. So, I went to a 1/2. Now the wind noise is aggrivating at highway speeds. So I may go to a 3/4 or a modular and just deal with the shield. I like the protection of a ff, but I don't like the shield.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Burch
I started with a ff, but ended up taking the shield off of it. I didn't like the way it felts with it on. Can't explain why. So, I went to a 1/2. Now the wind noise is aggrivating at highway speeds. So I may go to a 3/4 or a modular and just deal with the shield. I like the protection of a ff, but I don't like the shield.
I don't use the sheild, I took mine off the first day I got the helmet and have only put it on once in a heavy rain.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 03-14-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Riding with full face helmet on Street Glide...