Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with full face helmet on Street Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 AM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I could ever get used to a FF. I have a modular I am trying to get used to because the doctor says "no more sun". Usually wear 1/2 when local, 3/4 on trips.
EXACTLY what I do. I was just the opposite of most. I started OUT with a FF...tried a 1/2 helmet....WOW I can actually SEE what's going on now!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 AM
pcbertsch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I rode with a 1/2, but bought a modular this past winter. I live in bug alley, and cannot stand the neck breaking bug splatter that rips your head 180 deg. We will just have to see how I feel when the temp hits 100+ this summer.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought one at a HD dealership closing down in Maryland. You know the type that flip up at the bottom. Regularly $275 and I got it for 80 bucks. I've worn it during some of the colder rides. But I can say right now, it's going to take some getting use to.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

FF lifer. Saved my butt too many times...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I wear a FF.
I like the look of 1/2's but I've heard too many stories from too many people how a FF saved them.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 AM
electra glide
Road Captain

I was thinking about getting one, or a modular, but aren't they hot??? Just seems like it wouyld be. And I would imagine they cut down on how much radio you can hear.?? I wear a 1/2 at all times since my son was born 19 mos. ago, so does the wife. If they're that much more protection, I'm up for it. But, I think a good DOT 1/2 can save you too. Anything's better than nothing.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM
snovales
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think safety beats looks...
smoked visor on the FF gives some attitude

Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm a Street Glide rider who wears a ff, but it’s not about blocking the wind for me, I wear a ff because I read a statistic that 40% of all impacts to the front of the head. I have a buddy who is a Fire Captain and he said there are a few certainties when he’s called to a motorcycle accident. If they don’t have a helmet, they are likely dead. If they do have a helmet but it’s not a ff, they likely have sever face injuries.

I can also say the FF doesn’t fit the Harley persona, at least not the SG persona. My buddy who rides a Yamaha without a helmet gets more waves from Harley riders than I get on my SG.

Beary

Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior

I've been wearing a FF for a few years now. I do have a halfer that I might put on for short rides around the neighborhood at very low speeds during the warmer months, but for the most part I stick with my modular FF Shark Evoline.

Last stats I read for head impact zones indicated that 19% are in the lower facial region and 33% are in the back around the base of the skull/top of the spinal cord. That equates to more than 50% of head impacts being in areas not protected by non FF helmets. Why anyone would want to risk it if those numbers are accurate is beyond me.

Besides...I don't really care what anyone else thinks. Never have.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both types too. Full face to and from work in the winter and the other pretty much all the time.

Quick Reply: Riding with full face helmet on Street Glide...