Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle issue (bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011 | 09:10 PM
scooter1128
|
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default idle issue (bit long)

i have an 06 rk w/31000 plus miles. i was riding in daytona saturday night (around 830 pm), temp i guess low 60's...upper 50's. stuck in stop and go traffic. i could feel the heat from the engine and it felt unusually hot. anyways, while stopped, the idle become erratic. dropping to 500 rpm's up to 1200 rpm's. then it begins to shake like a solid mount motor. it felt like it was running on one cylinder. it stalled three times, but would crank right up.
i was really getting concerned it was about to break down on me and it was my only way since i rode it there. my wife was on her sporty and my son on his. they werent having any issues in the same traffic with me. i turned the bike around on a side street and went back to 92. i rode at regular speed back to where we were staying and it ran fine all the way.
once back, i checked my oil level and it was fine. check engine light never came on. it idled fine, no strange smells, nothing. so, im at a loss. i have no idea why it did what it did, though i believe it was related to the heat. since the engine light didnt come on, im at a loss as to trying to figure out what happened or what my problem was. ive since ridden a little over two hundred miles without a hiccup (to get home). bike has been flawless until this.
now since i rode home without any issues, youd think...dont worry about it. but, id really like to know what happened, if anyone has had this happen to them and if this is possibly the beginning of something or not. sorry for a long post, just wanted to include the information that would be helpful in diagnosing the problem...if there is one, since its not doing it now. thanks

Old 03-13-2011 | 09:28 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

The only thing I can think to do is pull the codes but if you didnt get a check engine light, you may not have any. Im assuming its fuel injected?

Old 03-13-2011 | 09:56 PM
scooter1128
|
Road Captain

yes, its fuel injected. i would have thought if were goin lean, injector issues, misfire or whatever...it would have caused the check engine light to come on. i knew before it started acting up that the heat was highly unusual (that i was feeling from it). thats why i was assuming it was something heat related. but there were many bikes in the same traffic, including my wifes and my sons, and they werent having any problems. there was no abnormal sounds either. just the erratic idle, then stalling. im stumped

Old 03-13-2011 | 10:26 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

Sounds like it went in to limp or parade mode,but the ambient temp was pretty cool for that to happen..

Old 03-13-2011 | 10:33 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Pulling the codes is the best place to start. Its easy to do.

Old 03-13-2011 | 10:58 PM
scooter1128
|
Road Captain

capt, never heard of parade mode on this bike...that will cause stalling? 1931 james...no codes present, thanks for the advise though

Old 03-14-2011 | 01:14 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

the bike just got to hot and the idle will get erratic and move up and down when u turned around it cooled off and ran like it was suppose to. mine did it to but my rear cylider would shut down i dont think your bike has that feature in fact i know it doesnt. sleep well and dont worry about it .

Old 03-14-2011 | 06:35 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior

That's the sign to cool her off, you did the right thing. The fuel is starting to vapor/boil from the heat. Even being injected everything is hot. JMHO.
Mine started to do it on Main St. but got onto the bridge with a breeze just in time.

Old 03-14-2011 | 07:12 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
mine did it to but my rear cylider would shut down i dont think your bike has that feature in fact i know it doesnt. sleep well and dont worry about it .
I think all the '06 Touring models had the heat managment,my '06 Road Glide did.It kicked in during some Vegas heat one time.

Old 03-14-2011 | 01:22 PM
scooter1128
|
Road Captain

thanks all for your thoughts on this. what is this heat management? i mean, i heard about it on the newer bikes where you cut off the rear cyl while stopped. should the check engine light come on? or, is what happened (erratic idle/stall) caused by this, the heat management? since it was perfectly fine coming home, guess i wont worry about it. thanks again for the responses.

Quick Reply: idle issue (bit long)