Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not enough lean??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not enough lean??????

For all of you that have a 2011 touring bike and lowered it 1" and found out you lost most of your lean with the kickstand down and are almost straight up, please call the HD customer service line 414-343-4056 and let them know. There was an opposite situation with some 09's with too much lean.

If they get enough calls maybe they'll issue an bulletin to resolve the issue. I"m going with the older bracket which no longer is listed 50078-09 to resolve my issue, but you can't find the darn things, other than that there are no more options besides bending the stand NOT!!!!. Found that the shorter kickstand did not fix the problem.

Or maybe just enough bikes will get bumped and fall over, then maybe we'll get a fix, I'm hoping they will be pro-active on this issue. Not only is the lean issue an issue but you also lose the clearance with the bike straight up and the kickstand down to where the slightest high side, you have to lean the bike to the right to get the kickstand down.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

I've heard of others with this same issue - with Sporty's, Dyna's & FL's - lowered

If you have the original kick stand cut & re-welded, getting the right length & angle correct is REAL TRICKY to get it right ... trial & error & error & error

Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,004 Likes on 9,046 Posts

I have a lowering position built into my FBI rear tire kit and I also have 1" shorter Progressive shocks on my 06RG. I have to lean the bike to the right of straight up to lower or raise the Jiffy stand.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always put a 1" shorter jiffy stand on to correct that situation. I've also heated up the jiffy stand with a torch and bent it but much prefer the shorter jiffy.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

Jeez,
You lowered your bike and now have to adapt or correct the jiffy stand to get the angle you want- no surprise there.

Almost everything you change will affect something else.

Now that your bike is lowered you have also reduced the lean angle when cornering, if you accept that, you might also accept that the stock height stand may not work so well with a lowered bike.

My lowered FXR has a bent stand- solving the problem took less time than to type this, except for the touch up paint drying.

I could have bought a part, the aftermarket is full of adapters for no-longer-stock applications.

Funny thing I saw reading a manual for motor officers- mount the bike from the right side, that way if you loose balance you are pushing against the jiffy

You always gotta be careful when you park---sometimes the best place to park your bike is not the closest, you do have to look at the surface, the grade, and plan how you are going to get out of the spot.

here's the 95 on the left, the 09 on the right- both at stock height- both look pretty secure both sat pretty good when lowered -1" in the rear.

When I park in my garage I gotta use hockey pucks under the jiffys to make then stand up straighter...too many bikes

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-11-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Found that the shorter kickstand did not fix the problem.
Why not?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You created your problem and now want Harley to fix it? Wowsers, I bet you're for O'Bama care too huh?

Just sayin'

Mark

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

I have an '09 FLHT and it's lowered 1" in the rear. I always thought my bike leaned too much while on the kick stand.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBrainBob
For all of you that have a 2011 touring bike and lowered it 1" and found out you lost most of your lean with the kickstand down and are almost straight up, please call the HD customer service line 414-343-4056 and let them know. There was an opposite situation with some 09's with too much lean.

If they get enough calls maybe they'll issue an bulletin to resolve the issue. I"m going with the older bracket which no longer is listed 50078-09 to resolve my issue, but you can't find the darn things, other than that there are no more options besides bending the stand NOT!!!!. Found that the shorter kickstand did not fix the problem.

Or maybe just enough bikes will get bumped and fall over, then maybe we'll get a fix, I'm hoping they will be pro-active on this issue. Not only is the lean issue an issue but you also lose the clearance with the bike straight up and the kickstand down to where the slightest high side, you have to lean the bike to the right to get the kickstand down.
If you called me and complained to me about that kind of problem, I'd tell you how to fix it......put the factory standard shocks BACK ON! Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to change the ride height by lowering the bike well then you have to deal with the aftermath.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
BigBrainBob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Why not?
The angle of the short stand was pretty much the same as the stock, they both set on the pavement at the same spot, believe me cause i spent $85 to find this out, very little change if any, even the mechanic said he didn't see much improvement, the 1" difference was cut from the flat portion that rest on the ground, how would that change the angle?

Quick Reply: Not enough lean??????