Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not enough lean??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 PM
kenfm2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBrainBob
Ed,your thinking is just like mine, Arlen Ness only had one amortized for my year 2011. Think I've spent enough time on the issue, will see if one of the old brackets will do, it should, thanks for your comments.
If you are saying it's Harleys fault why are you ordering an Arlen ness part. Just order a kickstand for a street glide since they are already lowered 1" maybe that would be the right one for you.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced

Originally Posted by shooter5074
I'm trying to wrap my head around this...... which "kit" are you talking about?

If it came from the MoCo, on your FLTRU, you have 2 choices. FLTRX (Street glide type) shocks, or the front end lowering kit.

If you just lowered the rear end, there's no way it would affect the lean angle by more than a degree or two, since the jiffy (stupid name for a kickstand) stand is so far forward. I did this to an 05 FLTR using 2010 FLTRX shocks, and the lean angle didn't change, as far as I could see.

If you used this front end kit, 54564-09, it can only be installed with FLTRX rear shocks, otherwise it messes with your rake and trail, and you look like your riding downhill all the time.

This is from the MoCo website about the 54564-09 lowering kit..

WARNING: The Profile Low Front Spring Kit cannot be used independently and must be used with the appropriate Profile Rear Shock Lowering kit. Installation of any accessory suspension components may affect cornering clearance and jiffy stand operation. This could distract the rider, causing loss of control and death or serious injury.
Hey Shooter, you're right but it's not noted in the parts book besides, the bike being equipped with the Profile Low Touring, which I have. The buy never sees that disclaimer unless one takes the parts themselves, opens the box and finds that warning. You just give your bike, they take it to the bay and calls you when it's ready.

That should be listed in the parts book so that you'll know this up front or parts lets you know before buying, JIMHO

Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced

Originally Posted by kenfm2000
If you are saying it's Harleys fault why are you ordering an Arlen ness part. Just order a kickstand for a street glide since they are already lowered 1" maybe that would be the right one for you.
The street glide has the same part number for the kickstand, maybe the street glide as a smaller tire, Harley does not sale a shorter stand, they pointed me to Ness via the Fatbook parts.

If you know different, send me that kickstand part number.

Thanks

Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Shooter, you're right but it's not noted in the parts book besides, the bike being equipped with the Profile Low Touring, which I have. The buy never sees that disclaimer unless one takes the parts themselves, opens the box and finds that warning. You just give your bike, they take it to the bay and calls you when it's ready.

That should be listed in the parts book so that you'll know this up front or parts lets you know before buying, JIMHO
So a dealer did the lowering? Then go bitch to the dealer. It's not MoCo's fault. You have a dumb A$$ dealer.

Go to this page http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US click on the warning under the picture..... print it out and take it to your dealer.

It's the techs fault, he should have noticed the lean angle, and noted any warnings. That'e why you pay (overpay) for them to do the work.

Last edited by shooter5074; 03-11-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:44 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

You're wrong about that. It is noted right at the bottom of the page in the accesssories and parts book with a warning sign in front of it. I'm sitting here looking at it right now. There are plenty of warnings about different products on many of the pages. You just need to look.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
You're wrong about that. It is noted right at the bottom of the page in the accesssories and parts book with a warning sign in front of it. I'm sitting here looking at it right now. There are plenty of warnings about different products on many of the pages. You just need to look.

Whether it's in the book or not, some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.

I've been wrenching for more years than I care to say, and one thing I have learned is that almost every single time you mod something, there is another little unexpected "surprise" waiting for you.
You can't blame the MOCO for that. Blame your bad luck, karma, or whatever. But you can take that knowledge to the bank and use it in your favor in the future.

Suck it up, do what's needed to make it right, and move on.

If you don't like it, put your tools up and quit modding stuff. Settle for stock.
Reality. It's part of the game. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member

Not trying to be a smartass here but did you try a pre 09' stand?? When the first 09's came out they tried to used the same stand as the older models and most people complained that it leaned over to far, so they changed it to what they are using now, their is a bulletin for the change but i dont remember the number, just trying to help out!!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM
frankh
Club Member

Like Big Brain, I lowered my 2011 FLTRU one inch front and rear (except I did the work myself, so I know it's done right). Like Big Brain, I found the stock kickstand no longer provided enough lean. Like Big Brain, I went in search of something that would give me more lean. The 2011 FLTRU kickstand mount is different than earlier ones... the "wedge" doesn't work. HD doesn't make a shorter kickstand, but Arlen Ness makes one that is 1" shorter. Like Big Brain, I found that the 1" shorter Arlen Ness kickstand didn't give me enough additional lean, because not all of the 1" comes off of the straight part of the arm. It's a bit shorter there, but not one inch worth.

Unlike Big Brain, I ain't blaming anyone for the lean problem. When I went back to the parts counter where the Arlen Ness part was recommended to me and told them it didn't give me enough lean, their response was "no problem, bring it back for a refund." Well, I had already installed it, and since I didn't really want to put the stock one back on and watch my bike blow over because of a gentle breeze, I said thanks but no thanks. It leans a bit more, but still not quite enough.

So what other options are there? Seems like bending the arm is the route most everyone else takes, and maybe that's what I'll do. What I won't be doing is complaining that I didn't know what was being done to my bike, because I did it all myself.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Whether it's in the book or not, some lessons just have to be learned the hard way.

I've been wrenching for more years than I care to say, and one thing I have learned is that almost every single time you mod something, there is another little unexpected "surprise" waiting for you.
You can't blame the MOCO for that. Blame your bad luck, karma, or whatever. But you can take that knowledge to the bank and use it in your favor in the future.

Suck it up, do what's needed to make it right, and move on.

If you don't like it, put your tools up and quit modding stuff. Settle for stock.
Reality. It's part of the game. Wake up and smell the coffee.
I'm not disagreeing at all. I'm pointing out that the warning IS in the book, and anyone lowering their bike should know it's going to sit differently on the stand. It's there and if you didn't read it, it isn't anyone's fault but your own. Just a little thought should have told anyone lowering their bike that there could be a problem even if the warning wasn't there or you didn't read it. I don't hold any responsibility for the situation with the dealer, the tech that did it, or the MOCO. It's all on the bike owner that wanted it done.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Understood. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I've been bit so many times with little surprises like that, that I'm to the point of allowing extra bucks whenever planning a project. Expect the unexpected. LOL

Quick Reply: Not enough lean??????