Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not enough lean??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBrainBob
The angle of the short stand was pretty much the same as the stock, they both set on the pavement at the same spot, believe me cause i spent $85 to find this out, very little change if any, even the mechanic said he didn't see much improvement, the 1" difference was cut from the flat portion that rest on the ground, how would that change the angle?
It ain't one inch shorter, if it hits the ground in the same spot and your bike still sits straight.

...the 1" difference was cut from the flat portion that rest on the ground....
That's flat out stupid, and should NOT be considered a "shortened" stand. It is not shortened. The plate on the end was. WTF?
You purchased the wrong part!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:00 AM
BigBrainBob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
You created your problem and now want Harley to fix it? Wowsers, I bet you're for O'Bama care too huh?

Just sayin'

Mark
Let's try to clarify something first of all, HD offers a 1" kit to insure all riders can have their feet firmly on the ground for safety reasons, so they're suggesting the modification, so they created the so call problem. In doing so one who think that anything lost of other safety spec because of the modification, would be address too, they had a kickstand modification for the 09 Roadking when lowering it 1".

As for your comment on O'Bama care, and how this thread turned political is beyond me, but I am for healthcare for everyone one, but not let me digress, I'm sticking to bike stuff and I guess you can go back watch some more Fox Entertainment.

If you didn't have any thing constrictive to say, why didn't you just keep lurking and say nothing at all, you were of no help what so ever other than negative comments. Thanks for nothing

Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
BigBrainBob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
It ain't one inch shorter, if it hits the ground in the same spot and your bike still sits straight.

That's flat out stupid, and should NOT be considered a "shortened" stand. It is not shortened. The plate on the end was. WTF?
You purchased the wrong part!
I suggest you check out Arleen Ness and his short stand, As I said the 1" difference was taken from the flat portion of the stand from what we could see. The angle of the stand was the same or very close to.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

I suggest you check out Arleen Ness and his short stand, As I said the 1" difference was taken from the flat portion of the stand from what we could see. The angle of the stand was the same or very close to.
That just don't make any sense.

No offense toward you, it just don't seem logical to cut the "one inch" from a portion of the stand that does not effect it's function hight,.... and then label and market it as being shorter.

Something is wrong with this picture.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

I wonder if they sent you the wrong one by mistake. It happens.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 PM
BigBrainBob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I wonder if they sent you the wrong one by mistake. It happens.
Ed,your thinking is just like mine, Arlen Ness only had one amortized for my year 2011. Think I've spent enough time on the issue, will see if one of the old brackets will do, it should, thanks for your comments.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Ed,your thinking is just like mine, Arlen Ness only had one amortized for my year 2011. Think I've spent enough time on the issue, will see if one of the old brackets will do, it should, thanks for your comments.
The ironic part of this is that my 08 leans a lot less than my 04 did, both bikes having stock suspensions. No way I could lower mine without a kick stand mod. It makes me nervous already. LOL
It's as if the factory intentionally wants them to lean less than they used to.

I wonder if Ness's "shorter" stand was only meant to give enough compensation for the stock suspension to lean "more better". LOL

Good luck with your project and let us know what ends up working for you.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 03-11-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

E Glide Goodies (http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id131.html) sells a jiffy stand that is a lowered stand and not just in the flat, on the ground part. It's about $125, but it will cure what ailes your bike. I'd also look into a wedge. Most wedge makers have wedges for 09 and earlier. I don't know what would be different on a 2010 or 2011. I'd imagine they could be easily modified if they don't fit 2010's and 2011's. If you ever looked at a wedge, it's basically just a tapered plate with holes drilled in it for mounting.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Corrected the link (it didn't like parenthesis).

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id131.html

Old 03-11-2011, 03:05 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Let's try to clarify something first of all, HD offers a 1" kit to insure all riders can have their feet firmly on the ground for safety reasons, so they're suggesting the modification, so they created the so call problem. In doing so one who think that anything lost of other safety spec because of the modification, would be address too, they had a kickstand modification for the 09 Roadking when lowering it 1".

I'm trying to wrap my head around this...... which "kit" are you talking about?

If it came from the MoCo, on your FLTRU, you have 2 choices. FLTRX (Street glide type) shocks, or the front end lowering kit.

If you just lowered the rear end, there's no way it would affect the lean angle by more than a degree or two, since the jiffy (stupid name for a kickstand) stand is so far forward. I did this to an 05 FLTR using 2010 FLTRX shocks, and the lean angle didn't change, as far as I could see.

If you used this front end kit, 54564-09, it can only be installed with FLTRX rear shocks, otherwise it messes with your rake and trail, and you look like your riding downhill all the time.

This is from the MoCo website about the 54564-09 lowering kit..

WARNING: The Profile Low Front Spring Kit cannot be used independently and must be used with the appropriate Profile Rear Shock Lowering kit. Installation of any accessory suspension components may affect cornering clearance and jiffy stand operation. This could distract the rider, causing loss of control and death or serious injury.

Last edited by shooter5074; 03-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Not enough lean??????