Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Seat Choices?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustang Seat Choices?

I wanted to see if anyone has tried any of the following Mustang Seats on their touring bike (see sig for my ride). If so, what are some of your likes and dislikes? I sort of narrowed it down to the Mustangs, based on reviews, forums, etc. Also narrowed them to the seats listed, based on what I think I will like and after talking to the Mustang rep. Of course you opinions are welcome; maybe something I’m missing…
1) Mustang “Low-Down” (p/n 79653) Touring Seat. This is a single seat design. Plus side: will put me 1.5” closer to the ground. I have a 29” inseam so closer should be better.

2) Mustang “Heated” (p/n 79646) Touring Seat. This is also a single seat. Plus side: it obviously provides that cool season heating feature.

3) Mustang “Vintage Solo” Seat with Backrest (p/n 79600) / “Recessed” Rear Seat (p/n 75460). The recessed rear seat is to accommodate the Vintage seat’s backrest. Plus side: Looks better if Tour Pack is removed, however I’m not sure I would be removing it. I guess this is nice if you want the Street Glide look. This one won’t work with handrails.

The Mustang rep did say that the Mustang line is going to be expanded; they will be adding the heating element to the Low-Down, Vintage Solos, etc. The Low-Down with the heat is looking sweet, maybe worth waiting for…

Last edited by MADHOG; 03-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Solo and I like it.
Gets better with age too.
http://www.mustangseatdealer.com/pro...08%252d10.html

Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Mustang solo with backrest on my Road King Classic.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by vivalv1000
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I wanted to see if anyone has tried any of the following Mustang Seats...
I have a different Mustang seat but I'll share this anyway...while the seat is a good fit, Mustang's driver's section is flat (no contour). Over a long ride, I find it's less comfortable than one with more "bucket" to the seat.

I also prefer real leather...I've had other models (Russell) in all leather and found them to far more comfortable both in the heat and cold. Yes, leather is more expensive and requires more maintenance but the ride was certainly worth the dollars and time (to me anyway).

If you get a chance, check out the Mustang in person (or any seat as far as that goes) to make sure it's going to suit your needs.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mustang Seats

Have used Mustang seats on several different Road Kings and Electra Glides but have always used the one piece touring seat.Good customer service and a good fit.Just remember a off the shelf seat no matter a Mustang, Corbin, HD or what ever is only good if it works for you, not all rears the same! Seats that are fit for you such as Russel,or Mayer will be the most comfortable since they go by your height, weight and inseam. Just depends on what you need.For my wife and I if the seat isn't good for 700 mile days it's no good.Just our opinion.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't actually NEED the recessed rear seat for the solo with backrest. I'm using it with the thin rear seat and the clearance is fine. The wife hates the thick look of the recessed seat, so we went with the thin. We'll see how she thinks about it after 1200 miles to Sturgis...

Old 03-09-2011, 06:47 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Bought me a Mustang Vintage Solo with the backrest after reading all the positive comments here and else where.

Although the Mustang is a great seat I found that on longer runs the firmness of the seat just did not suit me very well. Having had a HD Sundowner two up seat on the ride before and a HD Sundowner solo on my Street Bob and had less pain on the longer runs I decided to give the HD Signature Solo with backrest a try.

Right now the jury is still out on the Signature solo since I've not had a chance yet to take her out on a fairly long run but around town I have to admit I prefer the Signature solo over the Mustang. Don't ask me why but it just seems with the Signature solo I have better control of the bike in slower maneuvers then with the Mustang. Guess it has to do with the Signature being a little wider then the Mustang or with the position the Signature keeps me in. What ever the reason it just feels I have better control which is a big plus in my book.

Anyway good luck on your search hope this helped.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM
CrabbyPaddy
Intermediate

ShortRide >>> is that the 15" or Super which is 17" ?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Ike.
Novice

You might want to contact the seat company directly. I have heard first hand that they are not going to offer heat in their other seats like the low down.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
RussianMonk
Tourer

I have the solo. Best purchase for the bike so far.

Quick Reply: Mustang Seat Choices?