Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only the above, but the Feds are now talking about 15%. Neither one of our earlier 2000 year cars or my new 2011 Trike is setup for 15%. We have a problem coming here guys, that we had better get on or we are going to be screwed. I also use Startron with every fillup and Stabil in my Hurricane generator fuel.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knewt5
The problem is that the ethanol absorbs any condensation that may occurr in the tank. That will work it's way into the fuel filter. I would change the filter but you should have no problem running premium with 10% ethanol
That is partly correct, the wicking action of EtOH absorbs water from the bottom of tanks and also the air. At first this may cause a lost of octane by 5-15 points and can result in pinging. Later the fuel can become separated, and a heavy milky sludge can clog fuel filters. Also, the high detergent action of EtOH can remove varnish, scale and oxides from the inside of tanks or containers and precipitate in the form of slime and crud that starts clogging fuel filters, carburetors and injectors. California has used 10% EtOH in its gasoline for so many years that I cannot recall when it started. Just as with any detergent-containing fuel, don't keep it in your tank more than a month without a gasoline stabilizer and there should be no issues from separation or water absorption.

Last edited by Firetender; 03-09-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

91 octane with 10% ethanol shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any ethanol gas is bad stuff, bad for your vehicle and kills mileage. Most all gas now has up to 10% ethanol. There are only a very few gas stations without ethanol. I go miles out of my way just to get the non ethanol gas.

E85 is what you have to worry about. Don't ever put E85 in a motorcycle or any vehicle that is not a "Flex Fuel" vehicle. It will destroy all the "o" rings, in the fuel system, your fuel filter and anything plastic in the fuel system. The 10% is bad enough, does the same over time. You may want to change your fuel filter every couple of years regardless of mileage using the gas with ethanol.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser

Here in Brazil all gas have 23/25% of ethanol. It's law. Our Harleys and other bikes have been runing this mix since the 90's. No harm until now. But rubber hoses suffers a little and have to be changed more frequently and mileage is poor, of course.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ethanol has become the new VooDoo Child. Using 10% ethanol in two bikes and one automobile with zero problems. Owners manuals recommend 10%, and nothing else available here.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by abate1
My 07 Electra Glide started running poorly, it had set for a month with 1/2 tank of gas so may have gotten some water build-up. Replaced with fresh gas and ran better but not great. My tech tells me to replace the fuel filter as they are seeing problems with filters and some fuel pumps do to ethanol use. Can anyone shed some light on why this is/ may happen due to ethanol use? I know the 10% ethanol is not great but does it really cause these type issues?
Thanks
My '07 sits for months during the winter. Even though I buy the highest octane I can get at the pump, it contains some octane. I have never had a problem starting it and it running poorly.

I do have almost 40,000 miles and I'm going to change the filter since it hasn't been done yet. I know it's supposed to be done at 25,000 miles, but it is running fine. Just don't want to push my luck.

How many miles do you have? Has the filter ever been changed?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I guess where you live things are different, but it's very hard to find gas with no ethanol here in Florida, my bike runs fine as long as I use premium.
Same here in S. LA, almost all fuel being E10 for the past two years or more. Ethanol produces 34% less energy (BTUs) than pure gas, so in an engine tuned for gas mileage and performance should be lower by around 3%. I have noticed a mileage decrease in both my car and bike in that time period. Since ethanol produces higher octane, an engine tuned for it can have higher compression which will produce more power than an equal-sized gas engine. Most vehicles produced in the past 25 years or so can run E10 without problems.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
parachuter
Cruiser

I run premium Shell or BP never had any fuel issues. Really do not have much of a choice.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:37 PM
abate1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input = most of you have my thoughts to much of this in use to be a real problem. I have 42k on the bike and will replace the filter and see-- sometimes here in east Texas you have to by from less than quality places when you out and about.

Quick Reply: Ethanol question