Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Accendent

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Imagepix
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear End Accendent

I got hit from behind on my 2010 Ultra last night. I am OK with no serious injuries just my right shoulder really hurts. I was taken to the trauma center her in Las Vegas and released later that evening. The gal admitted fault to the accident that hit me and she was ticketed by LV Metro. My question to the forum is what I need to be aware of with the insurance companies? She has Gieco and I have Progressive. I have submitted a claim to Gieco and let my insurance, Progressive, know of the accident. At this point I am waiting to hear from the adjusters. I am not looking to take any one to the cleaners or get nasty. I am looking for your advice of what to look for in this type of situation. Thanks David...

Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Just make sure to get everything documented well. Listen to what they say, believe what they write down. In most cases everything works out fine, make sure you are satisfied with the proposed repairs, and the results. Allow your self time to look them over.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Imagepix
I got hit from behind on my 2010 Ultra last night. I am OK with no serious injuries just my right shoulder really hurts. I was taken to the trauma center her in Las Vegas and released later that evening. The gal admitted fault to the accident that hit me and she was ticketed by LV Metro. My question to the forum is what I need to be aware of with the insurance companies? She has Gieco and I have Progressive. I have submitted a claim to Gieco and let my insurance, Progressive, know of the accident. At this point I am waiting to hear from the adjusters. I am not looking to take any one to the cleaners or get nasty. I am looking for your advice of what to look for in this type of situation. Thanks David...
Glad you're OK.

If you're confident with your insurance company/agent, then I'd wait & see how they approach it - you do want your medical expenses taken care of (immediate & possibly future expenses). Although, it can't hurt to do a phone consultation with a decent attorney and get his/her opinion. I wouldn't necessarily look for an ambulance chaser - rather, look for one who is on the same page as you as far as not wanting to get nasty.

That's probably how I'd handle it, anyway.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
mikedero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude glad you are OK, on that note do not settle settle make sure that everything is back to the way it was before she hit you. Also lets not forget medical, loss of wages if you miss any work over this even if it means using your vacation or sick time.

Also make sure you get checked out really good sometimes trauma will not show up for days. Also leave it open in case something down the road goes wrong with the bike or yourself. a lawyer is a good call to make, no need to get nasty but no need to get taken advantage of either.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Do not talk to anybody that does not work for you ( attorney).

do not answer any questions about brake lights, visibility etc- YOU are not an expert, do NOT offer your opinion on anything.
INCLUDING pain and injuries.

My last accident, the girl provided false insurance docs to the cops.

She hit me in an intersection, after driving down the wrong side of the road, and entering on a red ( she was driving around the line of cars stopped at her red light).

I had to claim on my uninsured motorist with my insurance company ( sounds like four...moist)---who gave me the run around while th medical bills piled up and my bike was broken.

In the end I had to hire an attorney from the motorcycle magazine---THREE YEARS to settle- all that time I was out of pocket over $40,000 for medical. ( imagine that financial burden)

...and my shoulders and wrists are pooched ( from being thrown into the inner fairing)- and my left knee from my foot being jammed into the pavement when i was hit

just remember that nobody is on your side unless you hire them.

get all the records, seek and find witnesses, go back today and take photos- and take more at the exact same time and light conditions of the accident.

In my case, my photos, showed crucial evidence that the girl who hit me was in violation and on the wrong side of the road---- she had claimed other wise, the accident report was unclear as to this point.

And my little flyer at the intersection got me one of the drivers she had swerved around as a witness.

i hope you have an easy time of it.

mike

ps: in the end she got a $140 ticket for "failure to yield"---no registration, no insurance, no license ( which was suspended for her PREVIOUS accident without insurance)---you know she is still out there

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:46 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you give us some hair raising details of the accident .....did you see it coming.....were you stopped.....how fast was the car going.....how extensive was the damage.....did you get thrown clear....etc....?

Thanks,

VR

Last edited by HOGNOT; 03-09-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
jitter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine back from a low speed rear end accident. I was stopped at a light and I was creeping forward when the guy behind me hit the gas and pushed the bike into the car in front of me. It knocked me off and shot the bike forward a few feet. Pretty much just fell over on the crash bar and stayed 3/4 upright. Front and rear fenders, crash bar, floorboard support, pipes, bag, tail light etc. $4,000 damage. I claimed it on my insurance (SF) just to make sure things were fixed to my satisfaction. The guy that hit me had Progressive. Progressive was very good about the claim and got a hold of me before my insurance did. Plus you can follow the claim process on Progessive's website. As far as repairs go, they told me most insurance companies don't have MC claim adjusters. They pretty much go with what the dealer says. Paintwork from the factory takes at least 9-10 weeks, so make sure they have everything that needs paint on the list. They almost forgot to order my rear fender. I wanted to get things moving so I ordered and paid for the sheetmetal before the check came. Good luck and glad to hear you are OK.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
valleybuck
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your ok.Same thing happened to me 3 years ago.The guys insurance co. who hit me denied they insured him said his insurance expired.I got the officer who did the report go by his house he showed a current policy.I had to get a lawyer.In the end it worked out.The dealer where I had my bike taken was great,anything that had even a scratch on it was replaced.Don't let anyone talk you into anything you don't feel comfortable with.Any riding gear you had on that was dammaged should be replaced like helmet jacket ect.Don't let the insurance co. wear you down.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Her insurance co. will most likely want to settle with you quickly.
I would suggest going to your regular doc. and have him/her check you out.Go to therapy if needed and keep track of all medical bills etc-.Make sure your good to go before excepting the settlement.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay. Being rear ended is one of my biggest fears. Expecially if you are stopped and there's a car in front of you. Your options are limited.

Quick Reply: Rear End Accendent