Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Accendent

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would consider that when it comes to resale your bike will have retained little value especially if fixed by an a "non" designate.

I would strongly urge you rethink your agreement - you are allowed to change your mind and allow your insurance company to work on your behalf.

Ride In Peace

Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imagepix
Well here are the pictures for the tow yard. I was hoping to get her off the lot but the rear fender is wedge against the tier and was unable to move the bike. The tow yard policy is that I cannot work on the bike or remove anything while it is on the property. At this point Geico is going to get the bike and bring it to their shop and determine what they are going to do from there.

Here is my perspective. I was heading South on Paradise Road approaching Tropicana Ave traveling about 25 miles per hour when the car in front of my was stopping I applied my breaks and the next thing I heard was the sound of metal and fiberglass breaking. I felt myself being thrown backwards and I saw blue skies and then the pavement. The officer told me that I traveled about 40 feet from impact and the bike went about 50 feet when it hit the trailer hitch of the jeep. When I tried to get up I was facing oncoming traffic and I remember seeing the line of cars with the drivers white knuckled holding the steering wheels and that deer in the headlight stare. A off duty fireman immediately told me to lay down and not to move and to wait for paramedics and police officers. I was wearing a full face helmet motorcycle riding jacket and gloves. As I laid there looking thru my visor opening every one took a turn to ask me how I was. The gal that hit me was crying and kept saying that she was sorry, I think she was in her late teens and was going home from working at the Hard Rock. She told the office that she did not see me stopping and when she did her foot slipped off the brake pedal. The office verified her statement from the lack of skid marks on the road. No one else was injured and every one drove away the accident except for me, I get to take a ride in the ambulance but darn no light and sirens ‘Code 3 (?)’…. Of course Kim (aka Wife) has told me that she does not want me riding anymore, so I guess I will take up under water basking weaving…. Can I park my bike at someone else’s house.. Just kidding Kim…

Thank you for your help and support and words or encouragement. **** happens and there are two kind of riders.. Ones that have falling and other that will fall. Thanks again every one.
Dude i got one word for you ................TOTALED!!! My buddy got hit last summer. He rode his bike over to my shop to show me the damage. I couldn't see ANY from 10 feet away. They offered to total his bike (03 UC) but instead he took a check for 6000 and kept the bike. From the photos you posted you may get a new bike out of the deal. From the few incidents i personally know of, insurance companies total bikes pretty quickly for fear of the unseen problems that might happen down the road in which they could be held liable. At least thats what they told my buddy.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,576 Likes on 22,691 Posts

Lookin' as it does I would think "totaled" would be in order.
That way you could replace your new bike with a new bike.
That's the way it should be.
You should not have to settle for less.. than a new bike as that is what you had.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Imagepix
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks every one in helping me get the courage as I was very unhappy with the decision in having the repairs being done at a location not of my choosing so I went to Henderson Harley to discuss what had happen with the bike and where it ended up for repairs. I explained how I felt sick and loss sleep and how I was bullied in to the decision. The Harley service manager called Progressive to see how we could handle my dilemma. He informed me that I would need to call Arlen Ness and release the bike to Henderson and that it should only be my decision to have the work performed at the location of my choice. I spoke with Arlen Ness and agree to release the bike to Henderson Harley. Moments later Geico called me and wanted to discuss my decision on changing the location of the repairs to be done. I was in the service manager’s office so I elected to put him on speaker phone. He informed me not have Henderson Harley jump on the bike and to wait for him to arrive and then told me to have the bike dismantled so when he arrived he could perform the estimate. He then informed me that he would only pay for one towing for the bike and we agreed that Geico would pay the towing charges from Ewing Brothers to Arlen Ness. Which I ended paying out of my pocket for the initial towing charges and shop time for Arlen Ness, I have turned in the recites to Geico. He then explained to me that he would not pay for any charges that he thought were not necessary. That Henderson Harley would over charge and take longer to repair the bike. Again he was bullying me and at which point I asked him should I peruse legal console. He ignored my comments and continued to rant on to point of almost slandering Henderson Harley. At the end of the conversation we all looked at each other and shook our heads in disbelief. The service manger informed me that they have dealt with this particular agent and will do what is right to have the bike repaired properly. I do not think at this point they are going to total the bike just due to the fact it is a '10 and the cost to repair in not enough for them to justify it. Hey lesson learned and again thanks every on for putting in your 2 cents...

Old 03-12-2011, 04:34 PM
jitter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised that the Harley dealer didn't jump on the chance to send their driver over to pick up the bike. I'd really think about claiming it on your insurance. Sounds like this guy from Geico is going to fight you the whole way. At least you won round one. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:20 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember this alot of adjusters or insurance rep's have DEALS set up with repair shops and get MONEY back on all recommends to them. I know I was an adjuster, he most likely will get $1000 and up so he will fight you to keep it at a shop that he will get his kick-back!!!

I would think that your bike is totaled after looking at the pictures and I would NEVER buy a BIKE that was in an acciodent like that , NEVER and there are many who would agree.

Let them TOTAL it and get a bike that is not going to give you issue down the road? Talk to Harley about getting it totaled and then call the Insurance agency and tell them that their agent has been giving you the business about going to HIS CHOICE shop and that you need another agent to handle the case !!!
They will get wind of this and see if he ever had this or has been giving all the hits he has handled to this shop, they will work with you ! You can not be given any less then what you had BEFORE the accident .
Please call them and have HD get you a TOTAL on your bike it is pretty bad and the FRAME damage you do not want a new frame NEW BIKE!is what you want!!
Also with that much damage your title may get a SALVAGE title and then you are DONE you will NEVER get any thing for your bike even if you chose to trade it in , no one will buy it unless at a LOW_LOW_LOW price.

You will regret getting it fixed and problems you will have down the road
I wish you luck my friend if you go that way?

Good LUck

PS- you have already paid too much with the towing , they should have paid all charges , what a bunch of MF's !

Last edited by legendzzz; 03-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

What Ever you decide to do, take your time and keep a detailed DAILY journal about your health and recovery - document EVERYTHING and read up on Tort Law

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Tort+Law

You have every right to sue for the Loss of Everything in your daily life that can be connected to this accident - Take care of yourself because as stated above - NO one else will care - they will want to fix your bike for the least they can and get you out of their hair as fast as they can. My wife was hit a few years back, kept a daily log on her recovery and wrote everything down - she stuided Tort Law and learned alot... You were injured and you have lost ______ because of the injury....

Good Luck

Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 PM
rmodel65
Tourer

i got hit from behind....make sure you get an MRI of your shoulder....i had multiple xrays done and none of them showed the break that was causing the pain....

Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
rmodel65
Tourer

Originally Posted by Imagepix
Well here is a interesting twist Geico wanted me to take the bike to Arlen Ness and told me that they would guarantee the work for the life of the bike. I could still take it to a HD dealer but he really did the hard sale for Arlen Ness. I did agree to it but with mixed feelings. The big but was that HD dealers will not repair frames and if Geico felt that the frame could be repaired then they would not cover the cost and it would have to go to another shop. Any thoughts....

you can take it anywhere...they want you to go to shop X because they get say a labor rate of 30$ an hour instead of 35 etc...

if they are too overbearing it could be construed at "steering" and depending on what is said etc could actually be illegal....

Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 PM
BMF
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to see you came out of this with minimal injuries. Let HD fix the bike period. Only they can get your paint back to factory standards and that is what you deserve. If the frame is bent on an 10 then it should be replaced not straightened. The reason that the ins company doesn't want HD dealers they know it's going to cost. Bottom line is IF they, the INS co, accepts 100% liability then you should be able to get the bike repaired back to it's original FACTORY specs and status. Also make sure you detail any extras you had on that were damaged. They need to be added into the total. We had an 09 Road king Classic that we totalled at the fault of another driver and had it towed to a HD dealer out of town. They took care of everything.

Don't do the attorney thing unless you have to. However it sounds like your already dealing with an A hole so you might want to check into it. Also don't settle any medical or pain and suffering for at least 6 months. That way you give yourself time to make sure nothing is wrong.

Quick Reply: Rear End Accendent