Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new air cleaner, do i need a remap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
jrock387
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new air cleaner, do i need a remap?

I got the stage one installed from harley when i installed new headpipes/mufflers. if i install a new air cleaner do i need to get it retuned? thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say no. As long as its not popping and your header is not glowing. LOL Pay attention to see if your gas mileage changes significantly either way.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Rucker00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealership says yes, but there are cheaper and better alternatives. Check Fuel Moto and any local v-twin shop. They normally have some kind of fuel management software and/or part that'll work with you stage 1 and other mods you might do later.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
FLPostman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap needed??

Kinda new here, but was explained to me changing the mufflers- NO. Changing air cleaner- "Maybe". Just watch your plugs. They tell everything. Check once a month or so and a couple months in a row okay- don't worry about it. If you have lots of popping on decel..that's good indication of needing some adjustment. Hope that helps..

Postman
2011 FLHTK
Leesburg, FL

Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The way I read the original post is that he already has a stage 1 and wants to know if he installs another air cleaner. If that is the case no you are good to go. Harleys stage 1 down load says it is for the standard se air cleaner and the heavy breather so there is going to be little difference between any of the air cleaner set ups short of not running any at all.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Rucker00
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mtclassic has me seconded guessing my first answer. The answer I recieved from the dealer is, "Whenever you mess with the air/fuel mixture, you have to re-map." If you're just changing from an old to new paper air cleaner you'll be fine.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Many dealers will say you don't need the download...many will say you do...run without the download and if no pinging and no popping on decel...you are good to go. Check plugs for piece of mind. Then ride.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rucker00
mtclassic has me seconded guessing my first answer. The answer I recieved from the dealer is, "Whenever you mess with the air/fuel mixture, you have to re-map." If you're just changing from an old to new paper air cleaner you'll be fine.

If you go back to the dealer for a "Stage One" remap all they are going to do is pull out the remap and stick it back in. There are no variables to adjust on those generic units. If you had a Power Comander or SERT you can go in with your laptop and mess all kinds of stuff up! LOL

Old 03-09-2011, 06:58 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with others, if you already have the stage 1 download, it doesn't need a retune.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock387
I got the stage one installed from harley when i installed new headpipes/mufflers. if i install a new air cleaner do i need to get it retuned? thanks in advance.

Are you replacing the filter with the same kind?

If so...................why?

Stage I filters are washable...... take it to the kitchen sink, dish soap, soft brush, and go to town on it. Rinse well, and let it air dry overnight. Or blow it out with a compressor.

I wash mine every 10,000 miles.

Quick Reply: new air cleaner, do i need a remap?