Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FLHTK Black-out project finished!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011 | 04:09 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

RockerBob, it looks like you powdercoated your detachable tour pak bracket. Did you drill out the rivets for the clasps? Also, can you explain your custom Tour Pak wiring?

Last edited by '05Train; 03-09-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2011 | 05:16 PM
DMacLeod
Road Captain

Looks great

Old 03-09-2011 | 05:26 PM
RockerBob
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by '05Train
RockerBob, it looks like you powdercoated your detachable tour pak bracket. Did you drill out the rivets for the clasps? Also, can you explain your custom Tour Pak wiring?
Yeah, I powder coated the detachable Tour Pak bracket. I did drill out the rivets for the catches so I could powder coat them, and then I had the dealer re-rivet them. I did lose a little powder coat on the catches where the metal-on-metal contact with the latch is, but they look fine when the Tour Pak is closed.

When I had the dealer do the initial quick release wiring for the detachable Tour Pak they put the connectors inside the Tour Pak (which is I think how the instructions say to do it). In my case, I really want to be able to pop that thing on or off in 5 minutes, so I didn't want to have to be pulling the acorn nuts off of the pouch, then pulling the Tour Pak liner (after emptying the Tour Pak), then disconnecting both antennas and both electrical connectors, fishing them all out, and the re-seating the grommets. So I pulled both antennas and put in an internal FM antenna. Then I had a single connector put under the seat that feeds both the AC power and the lights in the Tour Pak. Now I can pop off the seat, unplug one connector to the Tour Pak, unplug the speakers on each side, and then pull the Tour Pak. Actually, when I added the brake/run/turn function to the Tour Pak I ended up with a second connector (I may go back and replace both of them with a single Deutsch connector at some point - hell, I'm half considering getting a 24 pin Deutsch and running all of that plus the speakers/audio controls in one big connector). But anyway, with everything under the seat now it's still super quick.

Old 03-09-2011 | 05:29 PM
bucket772
Cruiser

While I'm not a huge fan of blacked out dressers, I can appreciate the attention to detail, and the engineering that went into it. First rate job. Very clean and very well done

Old 03-09-2011 | 05:31 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Please tell me more about the Gerbing Dual Permanent Mount Temp-Controller. Where is it mounted and where are the jacks located. I want to do that but haven't figured out where to put them.

Your bike is the best looking blacked out one I've seen.

Old 03-09-2011 | 05:41 PM
RockerBob
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Please tell me more about the Gerbing Dual Permanent Mount Temp-Controller. Where is it mounted and where are the jacks located. I want to do that but haven't figured out where to put them.
Here is a pic that shows where they are mounted (mid-frame heat deflector on the left side):

I was a little worried about that location, but it ended up working out great. Easy to reach while riding.

The leads themselves feed out right under the nose of the seat on the left side (you can see one of them in the pic). I can kind of cram them up underneath if I'm not using one/both. In the summer I just pull them all the way in and stick them under the seat. There is enough slack that I could pull them through the backrest slot if I wanted (esp. if I wanted to use one for the rear passenger, which I haven't done yet).

Old 03-09-2011 | 05:56 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer

I looked at every picture your posted and I must say.

Bravo, very well done!!

If you dont mind I have a few questions. I assume you no longer use the CB function since you dont have an antenna? What hidden antenna did you use? How well is the reception? And last, what taillight and turn signal bar is that?

Old 03-09-2011 | 05:58 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RockerBob
Here is a pic that shows where they are mounted (mid-frame heat deflector on the left side)..
Thanks for the quick response. That looks like a good place for them.

Old 03-09-2011 | 06:00 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by RockerBob
Yeah, I powder coated the detachable Tour Pak bracket. I did drill out the rivets for the catches so I could powder coat them, and then I had the dealer re-rivet them. I did lose a little powder coat on the catches where the metal-on-metal contact with the latch is, but they look fine when the Tour Pak is closed.

When I had the dealer do the initial quick release wiring for the detachable Tour Pak they put the connectors inside the Tour Pak (which is I think how the instructions say to do it). In my case, I really want to be able to pop that thing on or off in 5 minutes, so I didn't want to have to be pulling the acorn nuts off of the pouch, then pulling the Tour Pak liner (after emptying the Tour Pak), then disconnecting both antennas and both electrical connectors, fishing them all out, and the re-seating the grommets. So I pulled both antennas and put in an internal FM antenna. Then I had a single connector put under the seat that feeds both the AC power and the lights in the Tour Pak. Now I can pop off the seat, unplug one connector to the Tour Pak, unplug the speakers on each side, and then pull the Tour Pak. Actually, when I added the brake/run/turn function to the Tour Pak I ended up with a second connector (I may go back and replace both of them with a single Deutsch connector at some point - hell, I'm half considering getting a 24 pin Deutsch and running all of that plus the speakers/audio controls in one big connector). But anyway, with everything under the seat now it's still super quick.
OK, so you basically consolidated everything into one connector. Smart move.

Old 03-09-2011 | 06:02 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer

Im not a fan of red but I cannot stop looking at your bike.

Do you happen to have any pics of the connector for the tour pack?

Quick Reply: 2010 FLHTK Black-out project finished!