Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto tune fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto tune fuel economy

Gentlemen,

I'm interested in getting better fuel economy out of my PCV Autotune-equipped '09 Ultra.

Currently, the AFR range is from 13.0 to 13.7, and I'm wondering what effect it will have if I bump the whole table range .2.

Is .2 significant?

Or should I look at adjusting specific cells rather than the whole table?

Engine is the stock 96" with S&S Easy Start 551's, air cleaner, Monster ovals, PCV with autotune, and a stage one download.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My experience with a PCIII, you will not likely notice an increase in fuel mileage with +.2, I would only adjust the cruise range to start with. Do you mean you are running a HD dealership type stage one download in conjunction with your PCV. Is that because of the cam? I thought an ECM reflash together with a PC were for more agressive builds with increased dislpacement and radical cams, I don't know for sure but I would like to know.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

Fabrik8r,

I was thinking .2 might not be that significant.

I've been adding pieces here and there. I started with the MO's, the stage one download, and the air cleaner when I bought it.

Then I added the PCV because I loved the PC I had on my '04 Softail and the Fuelmoto price was a steal. I subsequently added the autotune because I knew I was going to be changing cams, and then installed the 551's.

I've not heard the combination of the flash and the PCV were limited to certain builds and the local tuner has not mentioned anything about it.

In any case, if it is a problem (and it isn't from what I can tell) it should be fairly straighforward to reflash it back to stock.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OklahomaSam
Gentlemen,

I'm interested in getting better fuel economy out of my PCV Autotune-equipped '09 Ultra.

Currently, the AFR range is from 13.0 to 13.7, and I'm wondering what effect it will have if I bump the whole table range .2.
Don't alter the entire table range! The best way to deal with better mileage is to lean the area where you ride most, which is probably the cruise-range between 2-3k RPM and 5-15% TP. I did a write-up on this subject some time ago here. You can have your cake and eat it too, good mileage with optimal performance at WOT in one map. The drawback to mileage is heat, so adding a hardware switch will take care of that, and adding an oil cooler will help even more. Keep your existing map for cooling and create another one for mileage, then toggle between them on the fly as you see fit.

Is .2 significant?
No, you wouldn't notice much difference.

Or should I look at adjusting specific cells rather than the whole table?
Yes, read the write-up for more on that.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done exactly what your talkimg about but the way iclick said in the cruz range. Beleive it or not you will get some mileage out of a .2. Although not much i was able to stretch my 180 mile range to just over 200 without adding much heat at all. I still have the switch for the really rich map for cooling but i wanted to be able to get 200 miles and this has had no ill effect on the bike whatsoever. So play wit it a bit the fuel motor maps are awesome but they are rich and jamie had said .2 change woul not effect it much at all but you will get a little linger legs.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

iclick,

That's very helpful and I recall you addressed this in the past, but was uncertain what to search for.

The 2-3k rpm range and 5-15% TP is some of the specific info I was looking for.

I already run an oil cooler so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The hardware switch is likely in the future.