Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's different between '08 & '09 shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What's different between '08 & '09 shocks?

I have been watching this thread on switching from stock SG shocks to stock EG in order to get a better ride 2 up.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...de-shocks.html

I have a couple of questions about this.

Will the shocks from '09 and newer models bolt on to my '08 SG?

Also what are the difference between the various stock touring shocks - EG vs SG vs UC etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

SG shocks are an inch shorter than the others, (road glides may also have the short shocks). I believe that 08 shocks are a year older than 09s.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piasspj
I believe that 08 shocks are a year older than 09s.
That is exactly the insight and knowledge I was looking for.

So you're saying the newer years will bolt right up?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

mounts are the same & physical dimensions

valving for rebound and absorbsion was changed in 09 to achieve a "smoother" ride.

the 09+ are better for ride quality, I think not quite as positive feeling for canyon carving.

I have the 09+ street glide shocks on my EG Classic in town- when touring ( like a multi day or multi week trip) I'll put on the ultra seat, tall shocks and tall windscreen

swapping shocks takes maybe 20 minutes, that includes beverage time and chatting with the neighbor who is stuck driving a "car" that looks like a toaster.

mike

Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser

Thanks Mike.
That is what I figured but usually it seems that once I think I have something figured out I manage to screw it up good. I hope to take some long road trips this year so some added comfort will be a big plus.

Craig

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
pierre29
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

valving for rebound and absorbsion was changed in 09 to achieve a "smoother" ride.

the 09+ are better for ride quality, I think not quite as positive feeling for canyon carving.

I have the 09+ street glide shocks on my EG Classic in town- when touring ( like a multi day or multi week trip) I'll put on the ultra seat, tall shocks and tall windscreen

swapping shocks takes maybe 20 minutes, that includes beverage time and chatting with the neighbor who is stuck driving a "car" that looks like a toaster.

mike
The shocks have been modified in 2009, to fit the new frame: it seems they have different springs and oil.

I got a 2007 SG until last december and now I have a 2011 FLHX, so I can say they're "harder" and really unconfortable compared to the "old" SG shocks (wich were already pretty bad!).
If you use the new shocks on your 2008, I believe it would be even worse: you should consider buying something else...

I think the Moco should improve a lot the suspensions on our bikes: they did it on frames or brakes on the last touring models, wich ride really good now.
But the shocks on those bikes are a joke (especially in 12").
On our european roads, unless you're heavy enough to put the maximum pressure, it's almost impossible to endure a long ride on SG stock shocks.
That's my 4th Harley (one Sportster, one Dyna low rider, two SG) and I had to buy "real" rear shocks and better fork springs for all of them...
And when you've paid 33.500 dollars for a (stock) FLHX (that's the price here!), you dont smile when you have to spend some extra $$$$ for that!

Last edited by pierre29; 03-07-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

mike
Are you sure about dimensions? I'm looking to change my shocks to 2011SG CVO ones because mine are getting older...

For me i didn't change the shocks to taller ones, one because the front is -1" and second no problem even two-up for travelling.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

The 09 and newer shocks can be adjusted up to 50 PSI

Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
pierre29
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question was:
Originally Posted by hawkeyestoob
Will the shocks from '09 and newer models bolt on to my '08 SG?
And the answer is: yes, it will bolt on.
But the setting of the new shocks is totally different: it will not work properly on the "old" frame (too stiff).

Originally Posted by pit1600
I'm looking to change my shocks to 2011SG CVO ones because mine are getting older...
Concerning the CVO SG shocks, it may improve the ride for a heavy guy, and only on the new frame. But if you're a light weight (like me), it also doesn't work, even on a 09/10/11 FLH.
For the same money, you can easily find better shocks!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The shocks on my 06 SG and my brother's 09 SG are exactly the same on the outside, but the damping control is a little slower I believe, in other words a little harsher.

Quick Reply: What's different between '08 & '09 shocks?