Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's different between '08 & '09 shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pierre29
The question was:

And the answer is: yes, it will bolt on.
But the setting of the new shocks is totally different: it will not work properly on the "old" frame (too stiff).

Concerning the CVO SG shocks, it may improve the ride for a heavy guy, and only on the new frame. But if you're a light weight (like me), it also doesn't work, even on a 09/10/11 FLH.
For the same money, you can easily find better shocks!
You seem to be up to speed on these new shocks, what is the significance? I know the frame design changed, but has the geometry of the suspension changed, or the mount points for the shocks? Just curious, cause we tried the fluid change in the 09s and didn't have nearly the favorable effect as in my 06s.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I needed to lower the rear on my Ultra and did not want to go with the Air Shock-12" like most do.
I went and bought the Progressive 940 shocks. They are pricey but they are soooo much better on the road and the ride feels alittle stronger? No bottoming out you can spin them with your hand when you need to change them for ride or weight?
They sit at 12" height and have the travel of the 13" shock, it is a little weird but read the write up on them they are VERY GOOD and you will have a much better ride if you get them and get the 1" drop you need ?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
karbar99
Club Member
Default 12in to 13in shocks

On my 09 SG I removed the stock 12in shocks and replaced them with a set of new take off 2010 13in RK shocks then lowered the rear back down with a good deal I found on a Arlen Ness 1in lowering kit. Now I have a smoother ride and the bike sits the same.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I had the older SG shocks on my 06 Standard and now I have the newer model on my 09 Classic.I find the newer shock is smoother,tighter feeling and much more planted than the older shock.I'm sure that the new frame and swing arm helps in this area too,but the shocks don't seem to be as harsh as the old ones.It took me a while to find the correct air pressure.It seems to be 25-30 psi for me (165 lbs) riding solo.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karbar99
On my 09 SG I removed the stock 12in shocks and replaced them with a set of new take off 2010 13in RK shocks then lowered the rear back down with a good deal I found on a Arlen Ness 1in lowering kit. Now I have a smoother ride and the bike sits the same.

Tell me more of this Arlen Ness lowering kit. I want to go 1 inch lower but I want to keep my stock shocks for the exact reason. I am thinking the 12 inch shocks will make the ride a little stiff with 2 up. Thanks

Mark

Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 PM
hawkeyestoob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karbar99

That is a kick a$$ idea! I might have to give that a try after I get myself some newer 13in shocks to try out and see how I like them. Please do post some info on the lowering kit you are using.

Thanks for all the great ideas and input.

Craig

Old 03-07-2011, 07:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

do it right spend the money on the ohlins.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 AM
pierre29
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I know the frame design changed, but has the geometry of the suspension changed, or the mount points for the shocks? Just curious, cause we tried the fluid change in the 09s and didn't have nearly the favorable effect as in my 06s.
I'm not sure, but I think the angle between the shocks and the swing arm is slightly different: that's probably why you need stiffer shocks.

Originally Posted by dansflhti
I had the older SG shocks on my 06 Standard and now I have the newer model on my 09 Classic.I find the newer shock is smoother,tighter feeling and much more planted than the older shock.I'm sure that the new frame and swing arm helps in this area too,but the shocks don't seem to be as harsh as the old ones.It took me a while to find the correct air pressure.It seems to be 25-30 psi for me (165 lbs) riding solo.
You mean you have the newer 13" or still SG shocks?
Of course, the new 13" are much better than the 12" (more travel and not so stiff).

Anyway, the weight of the tour pack on a Classic makes a big difference, compared to a naked SG: it's like carrying a (light) passenger all the time.

I'm 155 lbs I believe (71 kg), and I've tried all the air pressure settings from 0 to 30psi: that's allways too hard (above 25 psi the bike even "rebounds" on its shocks).
But, as I've said above, the kind of roads you're riding on makes also the difference: I guess that driving in North America or in Europe is not the same game!

Last edited by pierre29; 03-08-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:33 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Default Just saying...

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
Tell me more of this Arlen Ness lowering kit. I want to go 1 inch lower but I want to keep my stock shocks for the exact reason. I am thinking the 12 inch shocks will make the ride a little stiff with 2 up. Thanks

Mark
I just basically put on the 13in shock for more travel/smoother ride. The lowering kit is one made by Arlen Ness and with the 1in drop, it basically just dropped the rear of the bike back down to the original height. I was just saying I got a good deal on it along with a good deal on the "new" take off shocks. There are many companies making lowering kits.

Here's the deal I got, saved some $$:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Or you could just go out and spend the big $$ on the name brand lowering shocks and take a chance you'll be satisfied.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:42 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pierre29
I'm not sure, but I think the angle between the shocks and the swing arm is slightly different: that's probably why you need stiffer shocks.

You mean you have the newer 13" or still SG shocks?
Of course, the new 13" are much better than the 12" (more travel and not so stiff).

Anyway, the weight of the tour pack on a Classic makes a big difference, compared to a naked SG: it's like carrying a (light) passenger all the time.

I'm 155 lbs I believe (71 kg), and I've tried all the air pressure settings from 0 to 30psi: that's allways too hard (above 25 psi the bike even "rebounds" on its shocks).
But, as I've said above, the kind of roads you're riding on makes also the difference: I guess that driving in North America or in Europe is not the same game!
I have the 09 and up low shocks( 09 SG Shocks) on my 09 classic.The roads here on the East Coast of Canada aren't the best.We are going through the freeze/thaw cycle here now.But I hope to be riding in 3-4 weeks.

Quick Reply: What's different between '08 & '09 shocks?