Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Dyno or Not to Dyno, that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To Dyno or Not to Dyno, that is the question...

Once I can get my damn bike out of the garage (which may not be anytime soon given that we are about to get another 12 inches of snow here in Vermont!) I will be doing a stage 1 upgrade....V&H monster ovals, Arlen Ness big sucker, and a PC-V which I got from Jaime at Fuel Moto. Jaime of course loaded it up with the map for my bike and configuration before sending it out to me.

The dealer happens to be a tuning center for DynoJet and has a DynoJet 250ix wideband dyno, which they say is a big deal...I'll take their word for it Anyway, they suggested that I might want to have them do a baseline dyno (to the tune of $60) after the stage 1 is done to make sure everything is at least pretty close to where it should be mixture-wise, etc. I really don't think he's just trying to get $60 out of me because really its not a bad idea, but I'm torn. It would be nice to have the numbers, but is it worth putting the bike through the stress of being run flat out on a dyno just for that reason? The other reason I hesitate is that FuelMoto's map will probably be pretty close to spot on, and I'm not out to get every bit of HP or torque out of the thing. I just want it to run richer/cooler and sound good. Any performance gains would be a bonus.

What do you think? Its it worth putting the bike on the dyno? Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

not if all your doing is stage 1, the map Jamie sent you will be pretty darn close already.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask yourself this> If I put on a higher airflow system and new exhaust on my cage would I have it dyno'd to ck the numbers?

JMHO, Dyno is a another way of saying lookie what I got. Your map should be damn close if not spot on.

The way things are going you might need that $60 for gas during the spring and summer.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Once I can get my damn bike out of the garage (which may not be anytime soon given that we are about to get another 12 inches of snow here in Vermont!) I will be doing a stage 1 upgrade....V&H monster ovals, Arlen Ness big sucker, and a PC-V which I got from Jaime at Fuel Moto. Jaime of course loaded it up with the map for my bike and configuration before sending it out to me.

The dealer happens to be a tuning center for DynoJet and has a DynoJet 250ix wideband dyno, which they say is a big deal...I'll take their word for it Anyway, they suggested that I might want to have them do a baseline dyno (to the tune of $60) after the stage 1 is done to make sure everything is at least pretty close to where it should be mixture-wise, etc. I really don't think he's just trying to get $60 out of me because really its not a bad idea, but I'm torn. It would be nice to have the numbers, but is it worth putting the bike through the stress of being run flat out on a dyno just for that reason? The other reason I hesitate is that FuelMoto's map will probably be pretty close to spot on, and I'm not out to get every bit of HP or torque out of the thing. I just want it to run richer/cooler and sound good. Any performance gains would be a bonus.

What do you think? Its it worth putting the bike on the dyno? Thanks!
Ask Jaime at Fuel Moto.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
ruin66
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the maps from fuel moto are not always 'spot on'. I put a dynajet on my o6 with cams, air cleaner, pipes etc. got a map from jamie that was not good at all. he was very helpful in trying to make it right, but finally suggested I try to manipulate the maps myself. instead I found a local indy with a dynajet certificate, and had him do a dyno tune on it. got rid of all of the problems I was having, and was able to customize the tune the way I wanted. rpm's, power band, milage verus power, etc. couldn't be happier and have never looked back. if it runs the way you like, don't bother. if you aren't happy, go for it.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the dyno and then you know it's right.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

for a stg1 i would see how it runs on the canned map,if u have any question then do the dyno.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:11 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think the dyno is worth every penny. My bike didn't run bad before the dyno, but it's a whole different bike after. Everything seems much better after. The thing was that it didn't run bad at all before the dyno. I was on the fence as well. Glad I did it though.

I just can't see a "canned" map being better than a dyno. Close maybe, but the dyno will get you there for sure.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got my bike back Saturday from it first Dynotune. I don't know why I waited so long is all I can say. I had been running Jamie's (FuelMoto) canned map for quite some time now with pretty good results but I always had on the back of my mind about getting a true Dyno. So poor MPG finally pushed me to get it Dynoed. Jumped up 9 numbers on horse power and 16 on torque. A pretty significant difference, the bike is running stronger than ever. Tuner told me that he got a lot of the torque up by adjusting the timing. Said it's basically set at 0 from the factory and is begging for some tweaking. So if you can find you a good tuner I wouldn't hesitate. Also, I'm only stage I.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That dyno run that your dealer is talking about isn't going to include ANY tuning at all. It's just a single run or possibly two to tell you what your numbers are. Now after that run they'll probably tell you that you need a "full dyno tune", to the tune of about 3-400 bucks at a dealership. If you're interested in just seeing what your numbers are, go for it, but that's all you're going to get for your 60.00. I ran on one of Jamie's maps for about a year before getting it tuned (which I only did because I changed cams), and saw no problems with the canned map he set me up with.

To the poster that said not all of Jamie's maps are "spot on", I'd bet anything that the only reason you didn't get one that was right for you was because of your cam choice. I'm guessing that he didn't have a lot of experience in whatever your choice of cams was, and just did the best he could.

Quick Reply: To Dyno or Not to Dyno, that is the question...