Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins on the Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011 | 12:31 PM
BigTM
Cruiser

I do not care for the stock air shocks on my 09. That is alot of $$$$ to get my touring bike to ride like it should. Where do I stop with the bolt on improvements. I guess if I can spend 1K on my stereo I can throw out 1K for the rear shocks. And then address the spongy front end after that. And I still love my HD and wouldn't ride any other touring bike. But damn I may have to get a real job to keep going on this thing. LOL
T

Old 03-06-2011 | 12:53 PM
mrbluffo
Advanced

They look the Dog's Bo**ocks!

Hope you enjoy your riding now, like you I await Howard's OHLIN Front End - Come On Howard, the Que is getting longer LOL

Old 03-06-2011 | 01:54 PM
pierre29
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigTM
I do not care for the stock air shocks on my 09. That is alot of $$$$ to get my touring bike to ride like it should. Where do I stop with the bolt on improvements. I guess if I can spend 1K on my stereo I can throw out 1K for the rear shocks. And then address the spongy front end after that. And I still love my HD and wouldn't ride any other touring bike. But damn I may have to get a real job to keep going on this thing. LOL
T
I agree: why do we have to pay so much for a bike with so sh... suspensions?
I love my Street Glide, but the fork is (very) far from perfection and rear shocks really s... !!!!!!

Old 03-06-2011 | 02:08 PM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigTM
T
I felt the same way...right up to the point where I paid Howard for my Ohlins! It was a great $750 investment for sure. I just installed last week and need to get a few hundred miles on em before messing with fine-tuning (unless it becomes obvious that I need to make tweaks sooner.

Have fun...

Old 03-07-2011 | 05:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Other than adjust pre-load I haven't found the need to adjust my #3s. It is possible they could be even better, but I am still amazed by them! So is my wife.....

Old 03-07-2011 | 07:22 PM
0550LJ
Novice

I have Howard's #6's also with 800mi on them, haven't touched a thing on mine...one problem, how do I get rid of this grin on my face? I better get in line on that new front end. LCBob anyone ask you if those gold cans are NOS yet ?

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:14 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

How many miles are these shocks are good for. Are threse rebuildable?:

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:25 PM
Lowcountry Joe
|
Elite HDF Member

I made some fine adjustments today and took it for a ride. I was very impressed with the results. My 2010 feels totally different while accelerating from dead stop and turning right or left during that acceleration. I feel like I am floating as I go down the road, running through the dips, across some bumps, just a nice feel.
Adjustments so far:
-Measured spring preload. Found it to be off around 12 mm when maximum rider sag was measured. (rider sag is me with all my gear on, sitting on the bike, with wife measuring how much the shocks on each side were compressing). Corrected that and that's when the ride came alive.

-Then I relaxed compression two clicks. They came from Howard set up at 12 clicks from maximum, I now have them at 14 clicks...thus slightly reducing the compression dampening.
-Then relaxed the rebound dampening 3 clicks beyond the recommended 14 clicks from maximum. That seemed to make a significant difference in the comfort factor of the ride.
I put about 30 miles on it after making the adjustments. I didn't want to come home because I was experiencing a ride quality that I had not experienced before.

I suppose I will try one additional click to lessen the compression damping and possibly a click to lessen the rebound damping, but I think I am so close to where they need to be it won't take much more to be done.

Somebody asked if they are worth the price. Well, I guess if it makes you happy and improves the ride, comfort, feel, and handling of the bike, that makes it worth it for me. I am more into making the new bike ride well right now. I also went to a new Mustang seat and really like it much more than the stock seat. This is my third HD, and third Mustang seat.

Now, as others have indicated, we have to do something about the wobbly front end on these Ultras. I think Howard is working on a fix to eliminate some of the leg flex we experience and is also incorporating Ohlins innerds in the tubes. I anticipate the front end fix will be even more exciting than the new rear Ohlins. I can't wait to try it out.

Old 03-07-2011 | 08:34 PM
0550LJ
Novice

rebuildable;yes @ 20000mi. Last a life time as long as you take care of them

Old 03-07-2011 | 10:27 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master

Anyone know how these would these compare to Ricor's?

Quick Reply: Ohlins on the Ultra Limited