Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seems the bike is running unusually hot. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

ive got an 07 that used to be stupid hot,done alot of research seems 07 being the first year of96 and epa they didnt get it right. a good tune made the biggest difference for me.fuelpack is a mytery on exactly how to tune it.start with a call to v&h if they cant make u happy i highly recomend fuelmoto.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of assumptions of lean running.
What's your fuel mileage like? That should answer your lean question.

Sumping (as stated earlier) would make the motor work harder and run hotter.

My 04 started running uncharacteristically hot before I measured the crank run-out to be high. I hope that ain't the case here.
Getting more vibration than you used to?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:44 PM
MrCarver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all good speculations, I remapped the fuelpak the other day after I removed the stock rinehart baffles and started running the Big City Thunder QQ baffles in the headpipes, there was a lot more vibration in the drivetrain so it seemed. I have not done an oil temperature yet, as I do not have a temp dipstick. I will pull the plugs tomorrow and check them out. This is my 2nd 2007, the other one ran warm alot, but being in Florida, its hard to tell whether it is "weather" or what...

Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 PM
MrCarver
Cruiser

I am getting below average fuel mileage I would say. I dropped in to the mid 20's.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's horrible milage not just below. now I am currious on the results.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
MrCarver
Cruiser

what kind of mileage are you guys getting? I remapped it today, gonna fill it up and see what happens.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:50 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrCarver
what kind of mileage are you guys getting? I remapped it today, gonna fill it up and see what happens.
ummm around 45 without a heavy throttle.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe you have a faulty fuelpak

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

borrow your wife's meat thermometer.

if you can get a reading on the oil temp, you will then have an "indication" of whether the motor is running hotter than normal-

you could say- my oil is X hot---other riders could then confirm if you are running hot or in a normal range-

"smells hot" is subjective and can be influenced by cleaners, leaked oil etc.

"feels hot" is influenced by air flow, header pipes and other factors...sometimes 'feels hot" means that the bike is shedding heat well, and you are feeling the heat which has been removed by the air as it flows away.

so the problem may not be as bad as you fear---I don't question the "hot" just hoping to peg a number on it, for comparison.

reading plugs is VERY difficult with changes in fuel additives and injection/timing settings.

It still is true that black and sooty ( plug or muffler tip) indicates rich running - ( but then at which rpm range ???)
white/ white indicates normal or lean running, but again that could be at 3000 rpm, when 1500 and 5000 are way rich.
reading plugs takes experience.

( and if you do pull your plugs, put anti-seize paste on the threads- be very careful not to crossthread- start the plugs by hand.-- and never crank the motor with the plugs disconnected and ungrounded, you can blow the coil)

yeah mileage in the 40's, I get consistent 44 mpg on my 96". Again the tuning system could be pouring extra gas at one rpm range, and running lean at another.

In your shoes ( having determined the problem) I would try disconnecting the tuning system and see if it running better ( or worse)...I use XIEDS on my 09- and in PHX I do get in some warm weather riding, that's for sure!

something is wrong with your set up.

check and see if someone chained a tree to the back or your bike...or take your foot off the brake...i dunno hope this gets easier for you

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-06-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

double post

Last edited by Faast Ed; 03-07-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Seems the bike is running unusually hot. Help?