Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good riding in Phoenix area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011 | 10:14 PM
scot210
|
Tourer
Default Any good riding in Phoenix area?

We are thinking about heading to Phoenix this fall around middle of October. We would take the bike and an RV, so accommodations we would find. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance on the riding turf. I realize around town would be busy.What about out lying areas? What sites would be worth seeing. We would be around that area for about 4-5 days. After that we would be heading into California for a bit. What would it be like heading up into the Grand Canyon?, cold? Would there be any bike shows, rallies at that time. Or just other things to see and do. Thanks for any info.

Old 03-03-2011 | 10:22 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Some good info here: http://www.cyclerides.com/
The event calendar only goes thru June, just check back later.

Check out the day rides - scroll to the bottom.
The Coronado Trail ride is very highly recommended, but check weather first. This is the old Devil's Highway (Route 666). Top of the trail is at 9,300'.
Tortilla Flat is a nice little ride.

Last edited by pargenz; 03-03-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2011 | 10:48 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

What part of California are you looking to be in? pargens would not steer you wrong on the Arizona area.

Old 03-03-2011 | 10:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

I would suggest that AZ has the best riding in the USA.---and much of it is dayride if you are in PHX.

March, April, October and November are the best months for weather in PHX. Flagstaff is 8000 feet, lots of mountains and elevations.

Cyclerides lists lots of great rides.

I'll send you a pm with some info

mike

Old 03-03-2011 | 10:53 PM
PHAZE
Intermediate

There is a lot of good stuff in Arizona. Depending on how far you're willing to venture from Phoenix you could hit Sedona, the south rim of the Grand Canyon, and go over to the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert.

Old 03-03-2011 | 11:11 PM
scot210
|
Tourer

Weather?, would it be half decent at that time of year to see the Grand Canyon?? Looking to set the RV down and then take off on day trips. Least that is what I am thinking about, unless some one has some better suggestions.

Old 03-03-2011 | 11:14 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

I moved from Mt Rainier area to Las Vegas six years ago. Ride to southern Arizona every year. Plus other states, but always one trip to Arizona each year. New rides every year, so you won't run out of good rides during your visit. Email Arizona for a visitor guide. I really enjoy Tucson, Tombstone, and Bisbee the most. Lake Havasu, Jerome, Oatman, and Sedona great visits. Phoenix area huge with great rides. Northern Arizona way too cold and windy for me. However being from British Columbia, it might be comfortable to you. I always ride south into California then cut over to Lake Havasu to stay in the warmth. Usually go in June. I stay off the Interstates and always return for more. Leaving in May this year for another week. Buy the way, you'll be visiting during a great time for a Death Valley Ca ride. This could go on forever.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 03-03-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2011 | 11:31 PM
scot210
|
Tourer

We LOVE the heat. We wait each year to get down into the warmer weather. We have been into Death Valley twice now. That is AWESOME there, we absolutely love it there. Thanks everyone for the great info, keep it coming. Gives me something to study and plan for.... can't wait.

Old 03-03-2011 | 11:59 PM
rjinaz85308
Cruiser

as others have said, cyclerides has good info. Don't know what part of the valley you want to be based in, but if you want to be more on the east side, there is a great RV park near Fountain Hills. McDowell Mountain Park is just north of there and has great campsites and views. Water and power with a dump station as you leave. Sites are spaced out so it is not like most parks. Great starting point to ride to any direction. Give me a shout (through my profile) when you get closer to the time.

Old 03-04-2011 | 12:45 AM
dhincc
Road Master

Definitely go up to Sedona, spend some time there, then head on up to Flagstaff from there. Beautiful scenery both around Sedona and then through the trees up to Flagstaff.

Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Any good riding in Phoenix area?