Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Upgrade for FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM
AJONESTX
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Upgrade for FLHTC

Looking for package w/2 speakers & amp. Hogtunes? J&M? HawgWired? Arc Audio? Other? Don't want to spend a fortune or make a mistake... Opinions? Experiences?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

there have been a bunch of recent posts on this subject just do a search you will find what your looking for

Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm cheap.

I also have worked with audio equipment for over 30 years.

with out looking at individual products, there are a lot of junk amps out there with poor frequency response and ridiculous distortion specs ( in the 70's .002% THD was the standard to meet).

Class D digital switching amps can provide gobs of power, but the sampling rate can be a problem. Class T are better.

For my needs the stock stereo works well- and I'm starting to figure out that blasting the stereo + road and wind noise is going to pooch what's left of my hearing faster than otherwise- on the old Evo I had earbuds wired up the stereo, kept the music in, the road noise out and resulted in less over-all hearing fatigue.

If I were to upgrade the stereo ( and i am cheap)- i would look for more efficient speakers before an amp.
Speakers are rated for sensitivity; X decibels at 1 watt at 1 metre. the bigger the number X is the better. X= 90dB is the low end of the range...you can search for speaker closer to 100 dB ( which would be more than twice as loud for the same electrical power from the stereo).

just look for a nice flat frequency response curve---no harsh peaks at 1 kHz etc.

I wrote a post a few weeks ago for another rider, in which I explained how i buy speakers from a big box store display

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-03-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a sticky on the J&M 7.25" Speakers and it is about 100 reply's on it (I went thru it the other night). Any way they say use these speakers and it will improve the sound and the performence of the STOCK unit so much you may not even need a AMP ?
I would try that as these speakers are $200 for the pair , but the sound is GREAT ! and no AMP ?? That sounds GREAT to me. I have a Classic(2011) and I think it is stock with 80 watts so I do not think I need anymore to drive 2 speakers ?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
AJONESTX
Stage III

Thanks for the advice. A couple folks have told me that upgraded speakers are probably all I need. Mine is an 07 so the stereo should be sufficient to drive 2 speakers.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
streetglide44
Road Captain

My 07 SG speakers were terrible. And yes speakers made a difference. Now new Sony head unit still better. Amp next with different speakers.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:14 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with this " Pandora's Box " !!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

i am looking at Hogtunes Big Ultra kit for my 05 Ultra, planning on it this spring.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Good luck with this " Pandora's Box " !!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
jdiamondv
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AJONESTX
Thanks for the advice. A couple folks have told me that upgraded speakers are probably all I need. Mine is an 07 so the stereo should be sufficient to drive 2 speakers.
i did that and it was a complete waste time and money, i ended up with a Arc set up with amp and it sounds great. jd

Quick Reply: Audio Upgrade for FLHTC