Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pops and roasted nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 09:53 PM
NH_FLTRI
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pops and roasted nuts

Hello gang, I picked up my Road Glide on June 8. Will post some pics as soon as i stop riding it long enough to take some. Anyways a couple of questions but fist some background. I am coming off a carborated fxstd. This is my first tour bike and first EFI Harley.
1) getting lots of pops out of exhaust when backing off throttle. This happens even at rpm's around 2k when backing off throttle. This occurs regularly, enough to be annoying. (i found a fix in just turning the radio up ) I called the dealer to inquire and they told me this is normal as a result of extra fuel in the exhaust and that being smoother on the throttle should help. They also said that it could be lessened buy purchasing a race tuner or fuel eliminator. In my family there are two 04 ultras with the same set up as my roady (95 big bore stage II and Reinhart pipes), neither one of those bikes has this same frequency of pops. Is this a new bike break in thing? (1000 miles currently), is it a sign of something no dialed in correctly? Any thoughts, experiences appreciated.
2) May relate to question 1. Wow... there is some serious heat throwing from the exhaust at the crossover point under the seat. Thus the roasted nuts condition. Maybe this is just part of the experience of riding a dual exhaust set up?

Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Default RE: Pops and roasted nuts

I have the 04 Ultra with Vance and Hines oval slip-ons, Stage I breather and a power commander and I have the pops as well. I called dynojet and asked them about this problem, and they told me that it was indeed due to unburned fuel in the exhaust. He told me that I should adjust the idle fuel mixture some on the map and it should clear it up. My bike runs good and it doesn't really bother me, so I have cosen to leave it alone. I just ease off the gas more and it is less apparent.

Hope that helps....and yes.....the y-pipe does roast the nuts....but it feels good in the winter......

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/81F9BE1A8B574E6EA7C49A6E17F783AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, When I got my 95 Stage II installed with SE slip ons and remap it was way too lean. It popped and snorted alot. I then installed the SE Race Tuner and remapped it to an overall much richer profile and eliminated almost all the popping.

Steve

Old 06-29-2005, 12:43 AM
sporty12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, and I thought when I read the topic, we were all gonna be invited over to have some Coca Cola by the campfire....

Old 06-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked with pops, he doesnt like his nuts roasted.

The popping is from a rich running condition. Put on some higher flowing pipes, it will lean it out a bit. Of course then you may have to install a power commander or such to add more fuel, if it leans out too much.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

I prefer Dr Pepper with a bag of Planters Roasted Peanuts poured down the neck.

I had the stage I intake and the SE II's on my 05 RK. It popped quite a bit when I got it last month. It now has 3,500 miles on it and the popping has abated considerably. Maybe it has to do with the engine not being broke in yet.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Shawn,

Here me now...I had the same problem on my '02 Road King...popping on decel and really hot nuts (so my wife says)...Seriously, I was hearing popping sounds and feeling a lot of heat on my inner thigh. When I really started looking for the problem I found that I had a cracked exhaust pipe at the exhaust pipe fork between right-left exhausts (right under the heat shield). The crack extended almost completely around the pipe. My bro-in-law and a friend took the exhaust system apart and we welded it shut.

Now my bikes back together and I couldn't believe what a difference it made...the popping is gone, HP seems to be higher, the bike is responding much better and the heat is completely gone. My nuts are safe once more !

Take a good look at the fork in the pipe coming off of the rear cylinder.

Al.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:06 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I just had to add this bout the roasted nutz. I have just inquired bout being a sponcer in here. second, I hold the cure to the roasted nutz. I'm a biker of course and not in here postin as a wanna B. But I tackled the roasted nutz thing and came up with a patented cure. I'm not tryin to get my azz busted for advertising in here. But if you all do a search for "no more fried thighs". Or vtwin heat deflectors. You'll find the cure I invented. Until then... I'll wait till the owners of this sight contact me.

zoood

Old 07-10-2005, 10:20 AM
NH_FLTRI
Intermediate

Well thanks for the input guys. Going in for the 1000k service at a local shop. I will see if they have anything to add to as well.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:08 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i have rineharts, my nuts are chillin!!

Quick Reply: Pops and roasted nuts