Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full disclosure I have a Rev Perf EMS and love it. Works as advertised. I was looking at the Power Vision and think that is a great tuner if you are someone who loves to "tinker". It is basicaly a SERT with a screen on the bike. If you get one I would buy it from someone like Fuel Moto that will give you maps for your future upgrades (or buy the EMS and not worry about maps, dynos, or any of that B.S.). I think the Power Vision is a great alternative to the SERT if that is the type of tuner you are looking for. I also think that it is a better system than the power commander units. If you are not looking to go beond a stage one with cam, then the power commander unit is all you really need. I am not a fan of the piggyback unit so I went with a SERT on my old ultra. Paid out the *** to get a good tune. Went with the EMS on my 2010 Ultra and won't look back. I have owned both power commanders and SERTs in the past.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im leaning towards the PV after chatting with FM,, had a PCV but i dont want a piggy back this time arounf... I will be able to add smart tune when comes out at NC from FM and if doing just AC,Exhaust, light cams,, PV seems to do the job and FM to my view has vast knowledge and database The PV can have up to 5 + stock i think maps but you cant flash on the fly while riding I think.. so if want mileage over cooling, will have to stop and re-flash the ECM vs switch like in PCV for dual maps.. its small enough to have in saddle bags and i dont think u really need to leave on scoot unless u want to see real time values... im reading as much as i can and my choice will be FM PV due to great and prompt service through emails, post or phone calls.. no one in Canada can beat that !....oh -- also from HDFORUM members.. If you have a tuner local, i'd say , use what they are confortable with.. ride safe..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
I do not have or know anyone with one but it looks to be a great tuner. I think you can have up to six different maps stored in one if that interests you. It would allow you to toggle from a good fuel economy map to a good performance map. Personally, Im one of those guys who would rather not have a piggy back tyoe of fuel management. If I were to buy a new fuel management system Id probably go with the new revolution performance EMS. It isnt a piggy back type and you can increase displacement by up to 25% and it takes care of all the AFR's and spark tables. You might want to check them out before making your decision on where to spend your money.
the power vision is not a piggy back type. it is more like a sert, in that you can flash your ecm and then disconnect the pv and put it in your toolbox if you want.

also, dynojet will be coming out with autotune basic for the pv here in the near future and that too will take care of any basic changes that you make to your bike.

the only downside that i can see is not being able to flash your bike on the fly. you actually have to stop somewhere for 5 minutes or less..... if you find you need to change maps on the road, flash it at your next gas stop. i don't see that as a major downfall.

i think that jamie is gonna give you a map that is 99%. if you want to spend several hundred on a dynotune for that last 1% that you probably won't even notice, thats your choice.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be purchasing the PV in the next few days. I have done a lot of reading in regards to the different tuners out there and I like the PV options the best. Also, I will be purchasing it through Fuel Moto due their the superior customer service. I have never heard any negative feedback from anyone. The bottom line is they take care of there customers. Whatever direction you decide to go I would recommend purchasing it through FM.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I Love my PowerVision, and Dynojet is proving that they are not done yet. We just had a software update, firmware update, and another update with new pre-defined maps! And the Dynojet Power Vision website is being updated with new map downloads, user guides, and other support features. And I expect auto-tune will get alot more people off the fence...

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 AM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GotMy11SG
I Love my PowerVision, and Dynojet is proving that they are not done yet. We just had a software update, firmware update, and another update with new pre-defined maps! And the Dynojet Power Vision website is being updated with new map downloads, user guides, and other support features. And I expect auto-tune will get alot more people off the fence...
Will you be using one of these pre-defined maps from Dynojet or is the original map that came loaded accurate enough? Do you think you need the autotune when it's released?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM
w3ng1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one have a Powervision on a stock bike?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hover
Will you be using one of these pre-defined maps from Dynojet or is the original map that came loaded accurate enough? Do you think you need the autotune when it's released?
The pre-defined maps cover the range of the most popular air filter and exhaust combinations. At this time, there are no pre-defined maps for aftermarket cams, but I don't see why there wouldn't be in the future.
For example, the map that came loaded on my PV "IS and would BE" the pre-defined map for a 103 with TW555 cams, SE Stage 1 filter, Jackpot Pro Touring Mufflers. And I don't think I need the autotune, but it would be a nice tool to help verify that your tune is in the proper range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8jKa6bC8I8

Last edited by GoPro Steevo; 03-03-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had my PV for almost two weeks and we have been getting acquainted since then, with me learning the tables embedded in the ECU and how changing them can affect the bike's performance. I was a longtime and happy PCIII and PCV user, later adding AT, and it was a stretch for me to move to something else. The old adage "If it ain't broke..." applies here, but I wanted to delve into my ECU for the first time. Since I can create a PV tune from an old PCV map, I was up and running with the same configuration as before in the short time it took to run through the install and initial-configuration procedure. Thus, no dyno-tune for most of us, although TBW bikes cannot import PCV maps. The good news for you guys with TBW is that FM already has quite a few tunes available for these bikes, and it won't be long before that gap is filled.

I'll also be able to use the AT-100 modules and WB O2 sensors that are still on my bike when DJ finishes development of the software to datalog and import the AT info. So, I don't feel I've lost anything but the ability to switch between maps/tunes on the fly, which no flash-based tuner can do. AFAIK only the PCV can do this.

I'm working on a write-up now and maybe by this weekend I'll post it here. As far as bugs, I see no major ones at this time, although I have some questions about the datalogging feature that are in the resolution phase now. I've flashed the ECU probably 15 times already and it is seamless, taking only a few seconds to complete. I would say that it is ready for prime time now, although there will assuredly be future software and firmware updates to come, not to mention added features. The update process is very easy, a matter of connecting the PV to the computer via USB and hitting the Client Update selection from the Windows Start menu. This will show the current versions that you have and the latest available for downloading. You then select the items you want to update, usually all of them, and when you hit "OK" it downloads and installs with no interaction, assuming you have an internet connection. Very slick. I can do this with my netbook computer in the garage without removing the PV from the bike.

I will say that I still believe the PCV from Fuel Moto is the best tuner package on the market for most riders, and the PV goes a step beyond by allowing full-access to the ECU. This can be a good or bad thing, as making the wrong changes can adversely affect performance, even disable the bike, which is also true with any tuner but especially so with those that can manipulate the ECU in the way this one does.

I should also mention the display feature, where you can view many useful "signals" from the ECU. My favorite is engine temperature, measured from the front-head sensor, which I keep a close eye on.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by iclick; 03-03-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hover
Seems everyday there's a newer better tuner. Yesterday was Powervision, now something else. Powervision is $500 compared to Revolutions 600 beans. I would like to go the cheaper route.
PV is $500, but EMS is $650, if that helps your decision.

Quick Reply: Power Vision yes or no