Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letter I wrote to Baggers Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Yes the weight is still there of course, but it's not affecting the movement of the handlebars and forks at all. Sit on one at the dealer and move the bars from side to side then try a batwing. There is a difference.

I have an d I have swapped with a guy and road his. No difference between the two on the road moving slow or fast. Well there is a big difference actually. The buffeting and wind will wear you out on the sharks were the bats you just sit back and relax.

Some make claims that wind does not effect the sharks handling like it does the bats handling. Again this is false. I live in the prairies of ND. We don't have trees and the wind howls.

People buy sharks for looks and keep trying to justify their purchase by saying the shark is better handling etc. Personally,I don't care what people like to look at. Personally I love the looks of the bat. It has more of a nostalgic look to it.

As far as the cramped cockpit. It is just an illusion. They are the same except that the guages and radio are farther away on the sharks then on the bats.

Fact of the matter is that Bats outsell sharks. There is a reason for that. People would rather ride good looking bikes then ugly bikes.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,770 Likes on 11,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
I have an d I have swapped with a guy and road his. No difference between the two on the road moving slow or fast. Well there is a big difference actually. The buffeting and wind will wear you out on the sharks were the bats you just sit back and relax.

Some make claims that wind does not effect the sharks handling like it does the bats handling. Again this is false. I live in the prairies of ND. We don't have trees and the wind howls.

People buy sharks for looks and keep trying to justify their purchase by saying the shark is better handling etc. Personally,I don't care what people like to look at. Personally I love the looks of the bat. It has more of a nostalgic look to it.

As far as the cramped cockpit. It is just an illusion. They are the same except that the guages and radio are farther away on the sharks then on the bats.

Fact of the matter is that Bats outsell sharks. There is a reason for that. People would rather ride good looking bikes then ugly bikes.
Seriously..."justify their purchase"....."cramped cockpit is an illusion"......"people would rather ride good looking bikes than ugly bikes"

I never ever felt compelled to justify my purchase of a R/G to you or anyone else.....

Closed in sensation of the whole dash being too close to me.....maybe I'm more used to a living room and not a broom closet....

I'd much rather ride a comfortable bike that stands out in a crowd, instead of an uncomfortable bike that blends in with a crowd.....

I'm outta here.... strapping on the snow shoes and grabbing the botta full of Barenjager for a hike up a mountainside. Ya'll play good for the rest of the afternoon

Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 AM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The buffeting and wind will wear you out on the sharks were the bats you just sit back and relax.

Until you find the right combo of shield, seat and bars this can be very true. It was for me at first.

Sorry...own em both...ride em both in the exact same conditions on the same day and when the wind is going the RG is a bit easier to control. Not night and day, but it is easier. Notice it more when passing Semis at 80 mph.

Looks got me in the show room for sure, but hated the gauges and stuff shove up in my face on a SG. When I see large guys on the SG they look cramped and I felt cramped. My arms are fine when riding the SG but I like an open feeling when riding and a RG gives me that.

True there is room in there for a grown man to ride it, but I don't like the feeling as stated before. Fits my wife's 5' 6" frame perfect however and she does not like how big the RG feels. I have only come across one female RG rider the past year but I have met 25 ladies riding the SG. Fits em better for sure.

Sure there is a reason. 1st Bats have been out much longer and 2nd have that traditional look older dudes and traditionalists tend to gravitate to. Hell I love the look or I won't own one. I for one don't like the proportions of the early RGs and the fairing has been changed over the years. I was convinced once the 09 frame came about and the Swoosh was removed. Consider the guys on the this sight that have owned both. How many Bat Wing Guys made the switch to RG and wish they could go back. I have read a few over the last 2 years but they don't compare to the RG owners that won't go back.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus 1+

Old 03-05-2011, 01:28 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all started with Klock Werks and their worlds fastest bagger!!! Once I get enough money saved up I'll buy a road glide for 2 up and my softail will be for boys night out!!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bones
If you were about to say something about UltraClassless,and how he has been defending himself thru out his post saying he hasn't bashed RGs, but keeps bashing for some strange reason other than his head up his you know where, I don't blame you.
Gee, you change my screen name to insult me and then say I have my head you know where... Everyone has to share your exact opinion, or you resort to being a real immature guy. Just how old are you? You must be a great guy to work with and have as a neighbor. Not.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:51 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

11 pages of nothing, who gives a crap what anyone else rides! I used to like it back in 02 when I had my first RG, guy's on other harley's usually didn't wave because they didn't recognize it as a HD, suited me just fine. I have had two bat wing bikes and two RG's, each has there merits. Hands down better wind protection and cleaner air behind the **** pit of a ultra classic, roomier feel to the RG with slightly more stability on the highway in crosswinds and passing trucks. I just like the RG a bit better for the room and the fact that you didn't see too many around (not so true anymore)

Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 PM
McGillea
Advanced

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
A.K.A. Cup Cake
Some of you guys have way too much time on your hands, or it's your time of the month, just to jump in on someone's reply, ONLY FUGLIES CAN REPLY IN THIS THREAD.

If I had known that there were a couple of FUGLIES here on their period, I guess I wouldn't have posted an opinion.
I know, you were not being insulting, but now I've given you yet another reason to justify your BS. I bet the Wixom Bros are are laughing their butts off.

Attached Thumbnails Letter I wrote to Baggers Magazine-wixom.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
chuskey
6th Gear
Default Awww hell I can't resist...

heheheh...