Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Tick" is in the tuning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

fyi here is my afr map

well its not clear but the red(most of middle area) is 14.6 the rest is around 13.5 or 13

Attached Images  

Last edited by voodoodrug; 03-05-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: explane
Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
rebuilt my top end this winter and had a loud tick like the op,worce when warmed up, used the tts tuner and also got some help.

researched this tick,loud drivetrain stuff a bit,was assured id tuned it right,read also it can get quiter but I didnt want to wait.

came to the conclusion I could go in two directions(actually three"live with it")

1)hand it over to a good dyno tech....$4,5,6..hundred

2)try the HQ black ops lifters....$180

So I replaced my (new this winter) stock lifters with the Head Quarters an WOW WTF tick gone! engine purrrrrs.. hot.. cold.. all rpm's

just my 2 cents worth
I was debating weather or not to change my lifters, I came to the conclusion that they were ok after a bleed down test, I never had a sound that I would describe as a loud tick, It was definitely valve chatter I could hear all the valves rattling in sync and I have heard this sound since my break-in period. I was just about to tear the top end down and replace my lifters when until after I tuned it the chatter was gone. The only thing I can do to recreate the sound is download a lean A/F mixture and I get the sound to go away when I get it around 14.4:1 and 14.2:1 in some areas.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master

fyi here is my afr map

well its not clear but the red(most of middle area) is 14.6 the rest is around 13.5 or 13

That A/F ratio map was one of the few things I wanted to see on here today. For some reason It will not open.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
That A/F ratio map was one of the few things I wanted to see on here today. For some reason It will not open.
go to page/post 1989'ish on the tts mastertune thread under ignition section on this forum,,,thats where i got that final map to enter in from mr wizard.He told me to use it on my final map

Last edited by voodoodrug; 03-06-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

head quarters says the bleeddown rate is slower and the percision is higher then the stock lifters. my new stocker lifters were fine when i through them out and replaced with the ops.You could hear a symetrical tap as the lifters slipped off the ramps of my 259 cams with the stock ones??. I dont know what the hell im saying but it worked!

Last edited by voodoodrug; 03-06-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

head quarters says the bleeddown rate is slower and the percision is higher then the stock lifters. my new stocker lifters were fine when i through them out and replaced with the ops.You could hear a symetrical tap as the lifters slipped off the ramps of my 259 cams with the stock ones??. I dont know what the hell im saying but it worked!

Thanks for the information. I may give these lifters a try

Old 03-06-2011, 06:02 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

I will be looking for your feedback fire axe

Old 03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

If you run "Smart Tune" all the cells accept a few are changed to 14.6 for closed loop, and the bias is set @ 720 mv across the board.

So if it ran great in "Smart Tune" you were running in closed loop.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

is that good or bad?
I set a few things to zero ,ran a vtune a few times,set my zero'ed out stuff back and then changed each afr block as per mr wizards map then loaded this as my final calibration in a nutshell. bike ran great very happy right off the bat,but this loud tick was there the whole time util using better lifters.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:25 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

is that good or bad?
I set a few things to zero ,ran a vtune a few times,set my zero'ed out stuff back and then changed each afr block as per mr wizards map then loaded this as my final calibration in a nutshell. bike ran great very happy right off the bat,but this loud tick was there the whole time util using better lifters.

I prefer open loop operation cause it eleminates the o2 sensors. The narrow band o2 sensors only switch back and forth and are not that accurate so i just turned them off by getting out of the 14.6:1 ratio setting. The o2 sensors are also ment to work with 100% gasoline and due to the fact we are now using 15% ethanol this is where most of us are getting our tuning issues. I assumed that 10% ethanol mixture was already taken into consideration with the SEPST software but it was not you have to change you settings to include the ethanol percentages. I did some digging around and learned that at 10% Ethanol, the Stoichiometric Ratio is actually 14.3:1 and anything higher than that is too lean. I also learned that the 2010 and later models are running 14.4:1 with the cat. So now that we are adding another 5% ethanol to the fuel for a total of 15%(sometimes higher due to contamination) the ratio requirements that are needed makes the A/F ratio even lower like around 14.1:1. Iclick mentioned that this sound could be spark knock, at first I was not sure about this but coming across this new information I think there is some validity to that statement. I just hate increasing my A/F ratios as the fuel prices are climbing and dont want to loose performance by retarding my timing so...

Quick Reply: The "Tick" is in the tuning!!!