Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't Want Fairing: How Can 2 People Listen to XM/Sirius Radio While Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM
ACDavis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, this might be hard to explain, but here goes. I have a E-Glide Standard with NO Stereo. I hide everything up in my bag where the stock stereo should go, and hide my Sirius antenna under the fairing. I have the Sirius unit velcro'd to the front of the bag, while all the wires run out the back into the fairing. out of the Sirius Stratus 6 unit, I run the signal into a power booster (Boostaroo $25). This is a powered headphone splitter. I ran a long headphone wire from this unit, under the gas tank and under the seat, and it comes up thru the gap in the seat for my wife to plug in. Another thing, you should buy your wife an in-line volume control for $9 so she can control her own volume regardless of what you have the volume set at.
If I were you, here is what I would do. Go to Leader Motorcycle or TSS Radio for a handlebar mount for the radio only or cell phone with the Sirius app. Run all the wires under the gas tank and seat. I would look for a place back under the seat for the power booster, then plug both your headphones into the power booster. You'll need to be creative where you put the power booster.
Another item. I've used Shure e4 earphones. I use the yellow foamy ends that look like earplugs from the machine shop. If you use them right, meaning pinch them and stuff them down your ear canals, then hold until they expand, you will not hear the wind at all even at unlawful speeds. The music will sound great, and believe it or not you can still talk to your passenger or another bike at the stop light. Now I find it hard to ride without earphones because I don't like the wind in my ears. I've also read that years of wind in your ears can effect you long term hearing.
I wish I could show you my setup, it might make more sense.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ACDavis
Okay, this might be hard to explain, but here goes. I have a E-Glide Standard with NO Stereo. I hide everything up in my bag where the stock stereo should go, and hide my Sirius antenna under the fairing. I have the Sirius unit velcro'd to the front of the bag, while all the wires run out the back into the fairing. out of the Sirius Stratus 6 unit, I run the signal into a power booster (Boostaroo $25). This is a powered headphone splitter. I ran a long headphone wire from this unit, under the gas tank and under the seat, and it comes up thru the gap in the seat for my wife to plug in. Another thing, you should buy your wife an in-line volume control for $9 so she can control her own volume regardless of what you have the volume set at.
If I were you, here is what I would do. Go to Leader Motorcycle or TSS Radio for a handlebar mount for the radio only or cell phone with the Sirius app. Run all the wires under the gas tank and seat. I would look for a place back under the seat for the power booster, then plug both your headphones into the power booster. You'll need to be creative where you put the power booster.
Another item. I've used Shure e4 earphones. I use the yellow foamy ends that look like earplugs from the machine shop. If you use them right, meaning pinch them and stuff them down your ear canals, then hold until they expand, you will not hear the wind at all even at unlawful speeds. The music will sound great, and believe it or not you can still talk to your passenger or another bike at the stop light. Now I find it hard to ride without earphones because I don't like the wind in my ears. I've also read that years of wind in your ears can effect you long term hearing.
I wish I could show you my setup, it might make more sense.

I'm glad you replied, this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. A couple of questions;

1) You wrote that you have the Sirius Stratus 6 unit. When I Google this model, the specs read:

"PowerConnect FM Transmitter works through your vehicle's radio with easy do-it-yourself installation."

If your bike does not have a radio, how are you using this device?

2) Some reviews/complaints I read for the Boostaroo include:

"Do not use this device if you use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter. The standard stereo adapter used to adapt ear buds to cell phone/mp3 players. It does NOT work. Very disapointed. I tried two types of adapters and both do not work"

Have you had this problem, or are you able to plug in any set of headphones and get a stereo signal out?

3) I have a RKC, with no fairing. I imagine I need a decent antenna for the Sirius/XM to get a good signal. If I can't hide the antenna in a fairing, can I use a HD rear mount antenna like those found on the Street Glides (I actually like the look of those)?

Thanks again

Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a walkman??...they make speakers and a small radio/amp with a mp3 input cord to mount to the handle bars(pretty ugly),or jcwhitney used to sell a tank/handlebar bag with a car stereo and speakers mounted..could easily be made with a sturdy bike bag.the serious receiver has a place for a jumper to run directly to a mp3 input jack..the antenna is really small.about the size of a half dollar and 1/2"high and magnetic..no problem mounting that, could easily stick it to a fender or the tank.i drove 100k miles with the antenna stuck to the front of a semi mirror
could probably get one of those bike amps on ebay for $20,plug your satilite reciever into it,then hook ear plugs into it instead of the speakers.mount it all in a fork bag over the handlebars or something..
could get a rider to passenger intercom setup.i think they have ability to play music or an audio input.just plug the satilite radio into that..you could talk back and forth..or it has a mute setting

Last edited by j1mmy; 03-02-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the IMC MT30 Intercom system on my Standard, and have the Sirius mounted on the handlebar. I take the line out from the Sirius Stratos 5 directly to the intercom. Works GREAT!!!! I do have the volume on the sat radio 100%....we here it just fine.

The 'con' against this....my current Sirius radio will turn off/on without notice. I thought maybe it was the power connection....doesnt seem to be the problem. Lately, I'll get the 'No Antenna' on the screen. It may be the unit is wearing out??? Maybe the dock??? Vibration on the bars??? Have tried another antenna....that doesnt help. Dont know....most likely will get a new radio, and mount it 'out of the weather'. Since we never change stations, there's no need to access other than to turn on/off.

I got the IMC intercom from Sierra Electronics. It's small, and easily concealable. They also have half helmet options.

Last edited by BillyG0856; 03-03-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok let me understand this...you don't want a fairing....you don't wear full face helmets....and you're wondering how both of you are going to hear music....

Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Tripleshot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy an ultra. problem solved.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripleshot
Buy an ultra. problem solved.
Won't work - he doesn't want a fairing, doesn't want speakers, and wants to wear a half helmet.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
SgtDuckyBoy
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found the most important thing is getting headphones that are of good quality. I use Maximo Metals and they rock, about 2 times as loud and clear as any other brand I have tried. the soft rubber ear piece comfortably molds to your ear and have several sizes in the package. My GF and I used to do this: we got an ipod/itouch/mp3 player (had all three) in a leather fllip open pouch. She'd insert the flap in my jacket/vest below my neck (I hardly noticed it was there), she'd control the music, kept her hands free and didnt risk dropping the damned thing. I used simple signals to tell her 'next song', 'louder' or 'lower' or 'mute'. make your own that you 2 understand and enjoy the ride. With the Maximo's, you will enjoy the sound on any player at about 3/4 volume as long as you dont ahve the extremely loud pipes. I have aftermarket Samson's on my RKC and its loud but the tunes come through loud and clear. Now when I ride alone, i keep an mp3 player with simple push button controls in my pocket and memorize their location and have found it easy to ff, rw, pause, mute and volume when solo. But with the extra passenger, let her do something dammit,, you are driving! And yes, I use half helmets too without windshield in this setup, so you can relate to what I am saying... good luck!