Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brother and my dream.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My brother and my dream.

I must have been 18 at the time. My brother and I had always been into sports (wrestling mainly) and loved heavy metal. But we both had this love of harley davidson motorcycles. Funny thing is..we never really talked about them... Now my parents..well just put it this way...if the motorcycle didn't kill us...my mom would. So we just never had an opportunity.

A friend of mine came over the house when the parents were gone one friday evening on a bright and shiny yamaha. It was gorgeous. Couldn't tell you what kind..doesn't matter. It was a motorcycle and it was cool. I jumped on the back and we went for a ride and cruised the street up and down main street (yes it was called main street). Ever try to pick up girls with two guys on one bike? anyways... Later he taught me how to shift gears and ride around the block, until I could ride his bike and he rode his brothers bike. A few other friends joined us and we were stylin on motorcycles around town. I loved it. Couldn't ride for s*&$t but it was fun.. It was a great summer, and I fell in love with the idea of motorcycle riding. However, school was out...like most kids do we headed in our separate directions....I ended up heading to college and like we all do, we start thinking about whats going to put food on the table and how we are going to make a living. I never rode a bike again. Always wondered what it would be like to own a bike.. a Harley-Davidson? Oh man...now that really would be a dream there... man I wouldn't be able to get one of those until I retired I thought. My brother and I had always said, maybe when we retire we'll ride one of those!
In college...married the woman of my dreams...... and drug her to graduate school with me. She has been a great woman!.. After I graduated from graduate school I took a job in South Dakota. Yes, you guessed right.. Its like a sex addict moving to a brazilian nude beach! Sturgis, awesome countryside, hills, Sturgis.. bikes everywhere, Sturgis.. ok..ok....so the wife and I go to several Sturgis Rallys.. We drove our red 1986 nissan pickup truck if your wondering. We didn't have money. Just started a job...and here I am..getting this fix on motorcycles again. But, It just wasn't a priority at the time.. Oh by the way, did I mention my wife was the clothing manager at Black Hills Harley Davison in Rapid City? Yeah!, I never went in that store.. I couldn't... Ok... maybe once... She would come home and tell me about this guys bike and that guys bike and all the places these people were visiting from.. We almost divorced that year..(i'm kidding)..We lived there two years... until I took a job in Arkansas. Now those of you that know Arkansas know..there are some great rides here . Rallys, Gorgeous countryside! Arkansas turned out to be a good place for us.. I loved it here...Better job, Wife got a good job... My parents loved it here so much they moved from New Mexico and retired here.

One summer, in 2007, My wife and I are heading up to visit my parents at their place. My brother has come up from Houston Texas to visit as well. We pull into the driveway of my parents house and their sits a brand new Ghost Flame Heritage softail. Chromed from tip to tip. My wife looked at me and said &*#*$^&&*#&*&... and I said.. *&**#*$*%*@ . We couldn't believe it. It was gorgeous! and I was jealous. Envious! pissed! Happy! Proud! all at once. He walks out to greet us, shows me the bike, and says, "Take it for a spin". I looked at him, "are you sure?" Sure he says to me. Now he knows I haven't ridden in well... since I was 18! I'm 41 now.. you do the math. Let me ask you ..would you let me ride your brand new bike? I thought so.... He did...I threw a leg over and it was pure heaven! I hit that start button and those Rush pipes yelled out a scream you would not believe. He gave me the quick reminder lesson, and I rode that bike around the block..20 times..(too damn scared to go out in the city).... came back for lunch...got back on and rode it around the block until it was dinner. I loved it. He knew it too. Over the past years... He would bring his bike in a trailer when he and the kids would visit just so I could ride it. He brought it this past summer and dropped it off for me for a few weeks while he went on vacation ... just so I could ride it. In 2009.. I rented a road king and he and I went on a three day ride. I wanted to make sure this would be for me.. I always thought it would...just didn't know for sure...We had an awesome time!! rode the pig trail..hwy 7...met great folks on the way!... Got the pics to prove it!
Over these several years....I've been on this forum.. dreaming...watching...reading...and yes..riding my brothers bike when he brought it for me to ride... Work..life...everything started getting better for the wife and I.... paid off the truck..refinanced the house....finally got ourselves in a better position.......just this past week...I finally bought that Dream... a 2011 Road King Classic... first person I called...yeah...you bet...my brother.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:23 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Cool story Dude. Congratulations on the new bike. You earned it.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First - welcome to the forum, then welcome to the motorcycle owners community. Great story and thanks for sharing it.
Ride safe and enjoy your new Harley as you sure earned it.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

Great story.

Glad to hear your brothers and your dream came true! Just be careful
out there on the concrete jungle, and get ready to enjoy a whole new life!!!

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Great seeing stories like this,hope you'll post some pics of your new RoadKing

Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
smat45
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great story bro <g>

ride safe

smat

Old 03-01-2011, 07:35 PM
100bagr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may you and your bro have many years of riding together. congrats!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
LadyDeluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the bike, enjoy.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man what a great story. I often wish my brother rode..... he's a great guy but we're night and day. I have four Friends that I ride with every week and they are like brothers to me.

You have an awesome brother my Friend. Let him take that King for a long spin....

Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Bill in NewHampshire
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and Ride Safe!

Quick Reply: My brother and my dream.